Posted by: ST on February 22, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Remember the little car problem I had last month that cost me close to $900 to get fixed, and the run-around I feel like I rec’d? Guess what? The car has been having the same problems again, and this morning it was to the point the car was smoking a little bit. So I took it in to the same place that fixed it initially, thinking surely it would be a warranty issue.

They told me an hour later after inspecting it that it wasn’t. This time it was the radiator. I asked the guy that, considering this was the same smell I was smelling last month, that the place didn’t see the radiator problem when I brought it in last time. “Oh, we tested it then, and everything was fine.”

Riiiight.

I got the same speech again about how many things that needed to get done to the car, and how it would cost me in the neighborhood $650. This time, I got a second opinion over the phone – and the other place (which I have been to before) said it would cost about $425, but that they needed to inspect the car, too, to make sure that’s what the problem was. Turns out that it was the radiator, but they said I didn’t need the two hoses that come with it, that they were in good shape, so all total I will be spending a little under $300 to fix the problem. I called the other place and told them to take my car out of the bay, that I was taking it elsewhere to get it serviced for less. They didn’t charge for me for taking a look at it to see what was wrong, either. So I went from $650 down to $282. I’m feeling a bit proud of myself this morning for doing some comparison shopping ;)

This makes me wonder if this is what the problem was last time. I don’t know enough about cars to make an educated guess, but it’s rattling around in my mind “what if I had gotten a second opinion last month?” Sigh …

Anyway, I said all that to say that because of all the back and forth this morning I’ve done with the two mechanic shops, I’m behind here at the 8-5. I’ll be back later this afternoon or evening to catch up a bit. In the meantime, please utilize this as an open thread. Happy Friday :)

12 Responses to “When it rains, it pours – but then eventually there will be sunlight (WEEKEND OPEN THREAD)”

Comments

Never go to that Mechanic shop again Dear. Anyone who did not know that the tensioner pully for the timing belt wasn’t part of a “kit” doesn’t know what they are doing. They get parts books every year and all updates in those parts books. Any index in those books would have told the mechanic/service advisor that this part was in a kit.

Might I ask what make and model of car you are driving? Also, might I ask how many miles?? I use to work at a GM/Honda Dealership as a parts person/service advisor, and worked many years before and after that as a parts guy in the automotive aftermarket. And years later I find myself working in accounting. =)) You can’t type cast me into a career choice.

Anyway, no matter what, you did well. Also showed the other shop that you are no one to mess with. =d>
    - Lorica

Officer In Clinton Motorcade Killed In Crash
    Clinton Cancels Fort Worth Campaign Rally Following Officer’s Death

Senator Clinton was told about the deadly crash shortly after her campaign stop ended. Speaking soon afterwards, Clinton said, “We are just heartsick over this loss of life in the line of duty. I have asked that my condolences be conveyed to the family. I am going to call the family, and I have placed a call to the chief of police expressing my sympathy.”

In a statement, police say no other vehicles were involved in the wreck.

LINK

Yet another Law enforcement person gives up their life in the line of duty for a Clinton. If I were a cop and told that I had the duty to protect these people, I would resign. Also, anyone notice all the “I”s in Hitlery’s comment?? – Lorica

3. Severian says:

Wow, sorry to hear about yet more car problems ST. It indeed never rains but it pours. Not being able to lay ears or eyes on the car, hard for me to say, but if you’ve got a fair number of miles on it (say, approaching 80k) it never hurts to service the belt and timing gear. But, it may not have been as bad as thought.

That’s why my wife absolutely loathes car repair places, even buying a car, and refuses to go near them without me, and usually not even then (I get that duty for both her and my Mom). Car places, even the best of them, seem incapable of not lying to and trying to screw over a woman with a car problem. I don’t know what it is, but it happens with depressing regularity. Places that never, ever give me a problem will come up with the most outlandish stories when a woman is the customer.

Definitely dump that mechanic and find yourself a better one.

4. Tango says:

Y’all think there might be a nice Nissan in your future? I’m on my second one. They don’t DO these things you know… \:d/

Nice thing about alot of the new cars is the warrantee. Alot of this work is covered by the dealership for the 1st 10 years 100K miles. Heck I think Kia was even offering free oil changes for a time.

Tango, I do like that Nissan Murano. It looks pretty cool, and I hear it handles very well for a SUV/Crossover. – Lorica

6. stackja says:

The First Black President?

By focusing on race, we inadvertently highlight the very thing that the American creed of human equality stands against.”

7. Tango says:

Lorica, I like the looks of the Murano, too. Maybe next time around? So far I’ve had a 300ZX (sold it in its 17th year at about 280,000 miles). It was still running fine, but I had blown out my arm and desperately needed an automatic transmission. So I bought a Maxima – and it’s been as reliable as the sunrise. Go Nissan! :d

8. Hey Sis, get yourself a pickup and put an NRA sticker on the bumper.

9. Tango says:

…a blonde in a cool pickup with an NRA sticker??

Wooo hooo! Lethal! b-)

10. Moved from another thread. –ST

Can I post this here?

For those like Cee who thinks health care – services which are rendered – is better with systems where people supposedly “care” more.

This man from Canada spent $28,000 in America to have a brain tumor removed because in Canada… well listen to the story.

H O W Charitable is Obama anyways?

E V E N less than the really uncharitable Al Gore!!!

How much do liberals really care? They care with other people’s money…….

These kinds of stories along with the stories of conservatives being more charitable by far than liberals make me shake my head! :)>-

Comment by Baklava @ 2/23/2008 – 10:14 pm

11. Baklava says:

Who causes global warming?

Democrat math doesn’t add up - for those who are negligent… yes this is representative percentage-wise of income taxes and so-called tax cuts for the wealthy..

12. Severian says:

Here’s something to cheer you up ST! It’s the best video I’ve seen in a while, Star Trek meets Jefferson Airplane’s “White Rabbit:”

Star Trek/White Rabbit