Got me good

Posted by: ST on April 1, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Jonah Goldberg posted this earlier at The Corner (via Memeo):

Diplomatic jaws dropped across the continent yesterday when it was revealed that U.S. President Barack Obama had, once again, fumbled a routine protocal of international statecraft: finding the right gift for a foreign leader or head of state. In a private ceremony with Queen Elizabeth, Her Royal Highness bequeathed to the Obamas one of the earliest known copies of William Shakespeare’s Henry V. She also presented him with the framed orginal sheet music of John Newton’s “Amazing Grace.” To the Obama daughters, the Queen gave a dollhouse-sized replica of Windsor Castle with a functioning train station in the year of the compound. They also received a prize Shetland pony. Mrs. Obama was given a ruby ring commissioned and worn by Queen Victoria.

The Obamas, unfortunately, did not seem prepared for the occasion despite the row set off by the exchange of gifts between Prime Minister Brown and the U.S. President barely a month ago. Mr. Obama rather unceremoniously handed the Queen a shopping bag from the Duty Free shop at Heathrow airport. It contained a signed paperback copy of Dreams of My Father, purchased at the WH Smith shop at the airport, a bottle of Johnny Walker Scotch (black label), a CD of the Swedish band ABBA’s greatest hits (still in shrink wrap with a 2-for-1 sticker on it) and ten bags of M&Ms with the presidential seal on them.

The Queen responded in a rather flat: “How delightful.”

Goldberg didn’t provide a news link to that, and considering how badly Obama bungled Brown’s visit here last month, I initially thought it was true. But now I’m sure it’s an April Fool’s joke, because surely the admin has gotten their acts together the whole “how you treat heads of state and other prominent public figures” thing.

Or … maybe not.

14 Responses to “Got me good”

Comments

1. I read about the iPod gift earlier today. I keep hoping that will turn out to be another April Fool’s prank, but I fear the real fool be shown to be the American voter. :(

2. steveegg says:

The brilliant part of the iPod gift is that the Queen already has one (via Allahpundit). No word on what songs were loaded, so the ABBA bit could still be true.

3. david foster says:

Too bad Queen Victoria isn’t still around…she would have known just what to say.

The least he could have done was give her an iTouch. I think it is time to fire his Protocol officer. This is the second blunder by this individual and it is really making Barack look stupid, or should I say stupider than usual. – Lorica

5. Nina says:

Lack of class. Lack of respect. Just pure trash. G-d help us.

6. Actually, I wonder if the protocol officers aren’t taking secret orders from Hillary to make her rival look bad. >:)

7. WWBD?

President and Mrs. Bush gave Her Majesty a bronze statuette “High Desert Princess” with a personal inscription on the bottom of the base. It is a replica of the original life size statue that is located in front of the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame in Ft. Worth, Texas.

President and Mrs. Bush gave The Prince Philip an exclusive sterling silver eagle box by Tiffany & Co. with personal inscription on the inside lid.

President and Mrs. Bush gave Their Majesties a leather presentation box filled with a collection of documents from the National Archives. One of the items was a copy of an original letter from President Roosevelt to her father, King George, written in 1938. There were also photos from previous royal visits and a DVD of the footage from the Queen’s visit to the United States when she was Princess Elizabeth in 1951.

Good thing we no longer have a dunce in the White House, eh?

8. You’d swear this has to be an April Fool’s joke, but it’s not: PBO included audio copies of his speeches on the iPod he gave the Queen.

A classless egomaniac? Our President? A self-absorbed frat boy? The man with the legendary judgment and vaunted suavity? Nah, no way! #-o

Any minute now, I’m going to wake up and remember that the Republicans nominated Sarah Palin for President and that she won in a landslide.

Please? [-o<

9. Sara says:

:((What idoits the Obama’s are. Who in the world would gift the Queen an Ipod? Really they need to go to protocol school. Their gift giving is becoming a nightmare and once again I will be sending emails to friends across the pond to let them know I voted not for this man. Talk about no-class. I gather they have no idea how stupid they look to the world.

10. Helen says:

Don’t worry. Her Majesty can cope with most things and will, presumably, have a giggle about it with the Duke of Edinburgh afterwards. It seems that she even allowed herself to be hugged by Michelle Obama. I recall an Australian Prime Minister behaving like that some years ago. I cannot recall his name and neither can anyone else. The Queen goes on and is more popular than ever. :)>-

11. Number 6 says:

I also don’t think Obama was bowing to that nice chap with a sheet on his head, more likely he had dropped his American lapel pin and was simply looking for it.

Why should the Obamas know what or how to gift? If one examines their charity donations (in my mind a measure of whether one “gifts” or not) for the past several years one will find they have had very little experience, and “gifting” is a trait that takes lots of experience at which to become proficient.

Which leaves only one conclusion for me: the Obamas are so arrogant they either pay no attention to the professionals hired to take care of that portion of White House duties (aides in charge of protocol) or such aides aren’t even on staff.

The Queen of England has been more than gracious. Too bad we don’t have someone with the same grace and composure in the White House.

13. Donna says:

I am proud to be able to tell my friends in England that I did not vote for this man. I can not believe the stupidity of an ipod as a gift to the Queen. Please…my children would know better. We lived in England for 5 years and I can just imagine the comments that are being made.

14. Come on, everyone in the diplomatic corp knows that the Queen likes nothing more than to boogie around Windsor Castle listening to Abba or the Jackson 5.

Nah. She’s a closet Rammstein fan. ;)