Obama changes mind on release of ‘detainee abuse photographs’

Posted by: ST on May 13, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Big news from Jake Tapper:

President Obama met with White House counsel Greg Craig and other members of the White House counsel team last week and told them that he had second thoughts about the decision to hand over photographs of detainee abuse to the ACLU, per a judge’s order, and had changed his mind.

The president “believes their release would endanger our troops,” a White House official says, adding that the president “believes that the national security implications of such a release have not been fully presented to the court.”

At the end of that meeting, the president directed Craig to object to the immediate release of the photos on those grounds. In an Oval Office meeting with Iraq Commander General Ray Odierno, the president told him of his decision to argue against the release of the photographs.

Bill Kristol predicted yesterday that this would happen, after reading remarks made at the daily WH press briefing by Robert Gibbs.

Lorie Byrd makes great point here (via MM):

“I don’t understand how Obama argues that these pictures would endanger the troops, but that the “torture memos” he released did not. I have to wonder if he now believes he should not have released those memos. If he does regret it, is it because of national security concerns or politics?”

Whatever the reasons, I’m glad he did it. Hardcore Bush-hating leftists across the country are no doubt freaking out right now (examples here), which is another indicator that his reversal in position was the right move.

11 Responses to “Obama changes mind on release of ‘detainee abuse photographs’”

Comments

1. Neo says:

This is probably tied in with Miss California keeping her title.

I can see the headlines on leftist blogs now: PANIC!!! DISASTER!!! DOOM!!! EVEN PRESIDENT IS TURNING INTO NEOCON!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, AND FIGHT HIM TO THE DEATH (or at least until your next welfare payment comes).

3. bill glass says:

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. BO’s instinct for survival and self-interest will sometimes lead him to the right decision. He’ll turn around and screw us on a dozen different things tomorrow.

4. NC Cop says:

Whatever the reasons, I’m glad he did it.

Agreed, S.T. I am glad as I do not see the release of these photos doing anything but being used as propaganda by our enemies.

However, I do beleive the photos will get released. Some bitter lefties will file the necessary papers and get them released. This way, Obama can say that he didnt’ release them, but the pictures get released anyway.

He gets it all!!!

5. Rovin says:

Obama knows these photos will eventually get released. This is his cover story so when any sh*t hits the fan, he will say, but,but, I said this might happen. SOP for covering “one’s” @ss. Special thanks to Dick Cheney for standing up to the moron who has no clue on how to protect this country.

6. Rovin says:

P.S. Hey Sis, your commentary format is the best on the web! Don’t ever change a thing.

7. Taci says:

I am glad he did not release those pictures. I am at a Camp where I spend 13 hours of my day surrounded by convicts in Iraq. Once those pictures get released my day is going to be even harder than it already is. Thanks for saving us some time Mr. President!!

8. Carol says:

God bless you, Taci, and all our brave soldiers. You are my heroes.

I have to agree with NC Cop though that the photos will be released some day and Obama will claim he did everything to stop their release in May 2009. Call me cyncical, but I believe we will learn in the future that Obama helped release them through Soros or one of his other good buddies … and the blood will forever be on his hands.

9. Finally! A change I can believe in.

I just hope he doesn’t promise the photos won’t be released – a sure sign they will be.

11. Jor says:

On a side note its amazing how accurate kristols predictions are…..