RIP, Walter Cronkite

Posted by: ST on July 18, 2009 at 9:58 am

The AP reports on the passing of a media legend:

NEW YORK – The death of Walter Cronkite elicited tributes from colleagues, presidents past and present, world-famous astronauts and those who hoped in vain to fill his empty anchor chair, all honoring the avuncular face of TV journalism who became the “most trusted man in America.”

Cronkite died with his family by his side Friday night at his Manhattan home after a long illness, CBS vice president Linda Mason said. Marlene Adler, Cronkite’s chief of staff, said Cronkite died of cerebrovascular disease. He was 92.

“It’s hard to imagine a man for whom I had more admiration,” Mike Wallace of “60 Minutes” said on CNN. “… He was a superb reporter and honorable man.”

Cronkite was the face of the “CBS Evening News” from 1962 to 1981, when stories ranged from the assassinations of President John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. to racial and anti-war riots, Watergate and the Iranian hostage crisis.

It was Cronkite who read the bulletins coming from Dallas when Kennedy was shot Nov. 22, 1963, interrupting a live CBS-TV broadcast of a soap opera.

“Walter was who I wanted to be when I grew up,” said CBS’s “Face the Nation” host Bob Schieffer, 72, who began working at CBS News in 1969.

“He set a standard for all of us. He made television news what it became.”

Cronkite died just three days before the 40th anniversary of the moon landing, another earthshaking moment of history linked inexorably with his reporting.

He was undoubtedly unashamed over the fact that the mainstream media was liberally biased, and wore his liberal heart on his sleeve often, especially in his later years. I was not a fan at all, but that doesn’t mean I don’t wish his family peace and comfort during what surely must be a bittersweet time in their lives right now.

The tributes and commentary are pouring in at Memeorandum. And the Anchoress has a good round-up here.

14 Responses to “RIP, Walter Cronkite”

Comments

1. When I was a kid in the Sixties, my parents used to let me stay home from school on the day of space launches; Mom figured I would learn more watching than I would would miss in a day of school. Each time, the TV was tuned to CBS, and Walter Cronkite became for me (and I bet a lot like me) the face and voice of the space program in its glory days. For all his unabashed liberalism in later years and in spite of his role in breaking our national will after the Tet offensive, that sense of wonder and adventure he instilled in me with each mission is something I’ve never forgotten, and I can’t help but feel a bit sad at his passing. How fitting that it happened the week of the 40th anniversary of Apollo XI. :(

2. CZ says:

RIP Cronk. I’m sure he was a fine family man and decent human being.

Now let me tell you how I truly feel.

This assmunch sold out our troops in Vietnam and is in the same cesspool as Jane Fonda to me. I was of draft age when American leftist traitors in the media and entertainment systematically turned American support away from the military and hung them out to dry only to show up and do it again a few short years ago. Cronkite gave them credibility. Most trusted man in America? Please.

On top of that, last night as I sat down after dinner to watch my favorite FOXNews programming it was interrupted for hours upon hours praising this guy. Why? Wouldn’t a feature story with some nice words after a short special report on the half-hour been good enough? No. The eulogy went on into the night where famous news people phoned in their recounts on what Cronk meant to “them”. Like I care what empty talking heads like Connie Chunk think?

That was a prime example of the east cost media bubble, self-important news junkies talking to other self-important news junkies.

Here some news. Out here in fly over country we could care less. Honor the man and let’s move forward. I want to know more about how democrat socialism is taking our liberties away bit by bit and to get fired up about what we can do to derail that leftist gravy train.

Sorry for the rant. This Cronkite news junkie thing really got under my skin.:-w

3. reddove108 says:

First-time poster. Love the blog.
    If this guy was the “most trusted man in America,” then there are a lot of gullible people out there.
    Of course, with Obama in the White House, that’s not news…

4. Great rip CZ.
    Walter was a liberal phony as big as any of them.
    He was the most trusted man in America to those who only knew what the MSM told them. And the MSM told them he was the most trusted man in America.
    I am old enough to remember that whole CBS arrogant elitist left wing cadre, Ed Murrow, Cronkite, Eric Sevareid, Charles Collingwood, and a few lesser lefties.
    The big difference between them and this bunch we have now is , they worshipped JFK, we have you know who.

5. sanjuro says:

I know how this is gonna sound but as a teenager in the early 70s I recall that Cronkites daughter was a hard core antiwar protester and linked to one of the radical college groups of that time, SDS, weather underground. Can anyone back me? If true does it make a difference? You make the call?

6. Severian says:

The acorn never falls far from the tree sanjuro…;)

I didn’t know this but Ol’ Walter had his own Blog on the Huffingtonpost. There’s not a whole lot there… but still. – Lorica

I’m old enough to remember an historical weekly show he did in the 50′s called “You Are There”. Good stuff, then.

Now, I truly believe he deserves as much coverage as MJ deserved, and that is a short blurb about how he was a traitor during the VN war (the entire Tet offensive was spun bass ackwards because of him) and leave it at that, just like MJ deserved a note about “another pedophile died” and let it go.

The worship of self-serving creeps and people like Cronkite is a major reason thinking people don’t get their news from the press or networks anymore.

9. Great White Rat says:

I can’t say it any better than CZ did.

I didn’t miss him when he went off the air and the non-stop Michael Jacksonesque converage wasn’t warranted. Yes, he did a fine job covering the space shots, and his coverage of the Kennedy assassination was historic, but that was more than cancelled by the way he shilled for the leftists during the Vietnam war. After Tet, General Giap was ready to throw in the towel and admit defeat – until he saw useful idiots like Cronkite telling the American public that we couldn’t win there. Cronkite helped prolong the war and is at least partly responsible for the death of countless thousands of innocent people.

10. CZ says:

Edward Cropper, we must be about the same age. I’m a spry 57. :d

The similarities between JFK, Obunco and their sweetheart deal with the media is haunting.

I will admit that his help in getting rid of Jimmy Carter was very nice. – Lorica

12. Kate says:

….heard about the blog from my husband, not too surprised. He was an unabashed liberal as stated before. However, he was a television pioneer. During his reign on nightly news he helped hook American on the thought that the news was unbiased and researched. That mindset is still present in most Americans which is why the media could use their clout to push their “boy” into the White House, suppressing vital information about the man and his background and discounting any dissent from their propaganda as either coming from “racists” or uneducated rednecks, and demeaning anyone truly interested in educating the masses a la the Tea Parties.

So RIP “uncle” Walt….I am sure you have lots of marshmallows to toast where you are now….

13. twolaneflash says:

I can honestly say that I’ve not seen tv coverage of Walter Cronkite’s passing. Thanks to him and his liberal media offspring, I’ve used the off button on my remote control. Control. Now that’s an operative word when it comes to WC and his ilk. TV gave such beings as WC influence, power, and control over millions of people, and it has been used to harm America and those who serve her. Fourth Estate to Fifth Column was an easy journey for the liberal Cronkite, who used his national pulpit to rail against America’s interests during Viet Nam. As a U.S. Army veteran, 1969-1973, I have no kinder place in my heart for “The War Is Lost” Walter Cronkite, than for “Hanoi” Jane Fonda, or for “Three Band-Aids” John Kerry, enemies of The Republic all.