Has David Brooks completed the transformation yet?

Posted by: ST on July 26, 2009 at 6:44 pm

With so many pro-Obama/anti-conservative columns under his belt, after reading this, I’d say his transformation is officially complete. In a “conversation” he had with fellow NYT (liberal) columnist Gail Collins, he said:

Gail, you made a reference in last week’s conversation that caught me up short. You said something about how badly my guys, the Republicans, have been behaving during this whole health care thing.

It made me wonder, are they really my guys? Do I have guys anymore?

[...]

Certainly in childhood I felt a strong affinity for the Democrats. Everybody I knew was one. The Democrats were obviously forces for justice and morality. Then sometime in adulthood I did come to naturally assume that the Republicans were the vehicles for the things I thought were best.

But you never know the workings of your own mind until you get an unexpected cold blast from somewhere deep inside. The thought that I’m part of the G.O.P.’s fan base sent such a blast, though it’s complicated.

[...]

At the moment, I feel politically closer to Barack Obama than to House Minority Leader John Boehner (and that’s even while being greatly exercised about the current health care bills). On the other hand, I feel politically closer to Lindsey Graham than to Henry Waxman.

All that’s left is for him to change his party affiliation – which he won’t do, because then the NYT wouldn’t have any use for him. And he’d be useless to the political players in the Obama administration who play him like a fiddle in order to “woo” elitist Republican voters.

What say you?

12 Responses to “Has David Brooks completed the transformation yet?”

Comments

1. SpideyTerry says:

Only one question came to mind while reading this – Who is David Brooks in the first place? As I found I couldn’t actually answer the question, I realized he about as important as the dirt on my shoes – perhaps less so.

2. Bigdaph says:

Are we sure Lindsey Graham is a Republican today or was it yesterday?

3. Good grief, I thought he had made the leap! Seems to have done so ideologically a long time ago.

4. Steve Skubinna says:

Door. Ass. BAM!

5. Peter says:

I don’t understand the Brooks thing. Even many Washington insiders know that Obama’s programs are prolonging the recession, perhaps even tipping it into a full bore depression.
    Here I am, with an education from the public library, understanding that Obama is a fraud. Yet all these highly educated Yankees can’t see that his medical program will kill people?

6. Rob says:

A social liberal for a long long time, neocon on ME, Israeli issues.

At least Brooks was anti-Assault Weapons Ban

7. yo says:

David Brooks has a nice car.

Well, I was trying to say something nice about him and that was all I could come up with.

David Brooks dressing up like a “Republican” works as well as Specter dressing up as a “Republican”. Better yet, it works as well as Wile E. Coyote dressing up as the Roadrunner.

Doesn’t work at all. Hasn’t fooled anyone, either. In any of the cases above.

9. Mwalimu Daudi says:

William Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard, was briefly hired by The New York Times That ended almost as fast as it began.

David Brooks’s column reminded me of the old joke about an argument between a US Senator and a Soviet diplomat. “You Americans are always claiming that my country has no freedom of speech,” shouted the Soviet diplomat. “It’s a lie! We have all of the freedoms that you do! In America you can stand in front of the White House and shout filthy language against the President of the United States and you will not be arrested. In my country you can stand in front of the Kremlin and shout filthy language against the President of the United States and you will not be arrested.”

Of course, nowadays if someone attempted to shout filthy language against the President of the United States in front of the White House they would certainly be arrested and charged with “inciting a racial hate crime”. Such is life in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Hopenchange!

Brooks has discovered that the Times will pay handsomely to demonize Republicans, and he is quite willing to be a diligent flunky. By contrast, Kristol found that opposing the Won earns you a pink slip. Which makes sense if you think about the Times’ Stalinist political views.