Sister Toldjah’s Virtual Beer Summit: Bar Closed (OPEN THREAD)

Posted by: ST on July 30, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Serving beer (<---- Not ST.)

Hey, I figure we could have the beer summit to beat all beer summits – certainly much better than the dog and pony show getting ready to take place at the WH which our Healer in Chief has declared is not acutally a “summit.” Hmph.

I don’t drink beer, but I’ll be happy to serve as the bartender for the virtual beer summit. I, and your fellow readers and commenters, will be available to discuss and listen to whatever topic you’d like in this open thread. One request: That the topics involve “teachable moments” for us all.

So, what’ll it be? Beers are on the house, BTW, but $ tips are always welcome.

So what’s on your mind?

Update – 6:40 PM: Hot off the presses – First Photos of the Beer Summit. Joe Biden joined them.

6:45 PM: Must-read: Thomas Sowell questions the “post-racial” presidency of Barack Obama.

7:25 PM: Sheesh, y’all. It’s been close to an hour and a half and I haven’t had my first request :(

HotAirPundit’s got the scoop on what kind of beers the “summiteers” are having and how some in the MSM are Tweeting this farce.

BTW, 7,100 visits to go before hitting the 2 million mark.

9:01 PM: I knew it – I predicted that the black officers standing by Crowley would be called Uncle Toms:

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – A black sergeant who was at the home of Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. when he was arrested says he’s been maligned as an “Uncle Tom” for supporting the actions of the white arresting officer.

Cambridge Sgt. Leon Lashley gave a letter to Sgt. James Crowley to give to President Barack Obama during their so-called beer summit with Gates on Thursday night at the White House.

In the letter, which was also sent to CNN, Lashley says Gates “may have caused grave and potentially irreparable harm to the struggle for racial harmony.”

Lashley says he has become known as a traitor to his heritage by some because he “spoke the truth” about the arrest.

The “tolerant left” strikes again. x(

9:20 PM: Jake Tapper cracks me up. In his recap of what he saw from his vantage point of the “Beer Summit,” he wrote:

In the less than two minutes that we were out there, Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Sgt. Jim Crowley did almost all of the talking. It didn’t appear chummy, but then again Gates has said Crowley racially profiled him, falsified a police report about him, and owes him an apology. Crowley says he did nothing wrong, resents being portrayed as a racist, and has said he came here with the understanding that he and Gates had agreed to disagree.

So one might not expect them to be re-enacting a Lowenbrau commercial.

Here’s the commercial he’s talking about:

LOL. Love the suits and the haircuts! ;)

40 Responses to “Sister Toldjah’s Virtual Beer Summit: Bar Closed (OPEN THREAD)”

Comments

1. Carol says:

Totally nauseating!

2. I’ll have a Stockyard oatmeal stout, please. As for “teachable moments,” I probably need one or two glasses (or six) to come up with some good ones. *hic!*<:-p

3. Helen says:

I don’t like beer but I thought I’d say hi just to be sociable. What do you guys think – will this be the end of this story?:-w

Any takers on how soon the distinguished Hawvud professor will spill all to the adoring MSM about how he taught the racist cop a lesson that he’ll not soon forget? “Everything will be fine”, he’ll say, “’cause I told Whitey what a piece of dung he is, him and his momma, and if he ever tries to arrest another person of color I’ll personally see to it that he never works as a racist cop again.”

5. Helen,

It might be the end of this story in particular, but it won’t be the end of race-hustling in America, unfortunately. There are a lot of Henry Gates in this country (Barack Obama’s “spritual mentor” was one of them) and a lot more more liberals and media types willing to milk their “victimhood” stories for all they are worth.

I have been nauseated by the photos that have come out of this “summit.” I could see it if they had taken a few photos of the four of the waving to the cameras at the beginning but then shortly afterwards leaving to go to a private area of the WH to meet and really talk over their beers. Instead we get frame by frame photos of everyone at the table looking comfortable and at ease but Crowley, while media photos salivate for the “perfect photo” closeby. How can you have a serious discussion about race with the media hovering like slobbering children? Answer? You can’t – this little “summit” was not really intended for any such thing. It was intended for Barack Obama to clean up the nasty spill he created last week. IOW, it’s not about “healing” – it’s about “damage control.” I couldn’t be more disgusted.

6. NC Cop says:

Oh man, I wish I had been the cop who had been invited to have a beer with the Pres.!!!

Gosh, the things I would have said……:d

7. That would rule, NC! We would have expected a full recap, of course ;)

WB, by the way! Hope you and Beachbabe had a nice honeymoon!

Saw a great bumper sticker yesterday in a parking lot in Vancouver, WA:

I never thought I’d miss Nixon

With this prez, I’m getting that felling more and more. At least Tricky had some class, and those he surrounded himself with weren’t (as far as we know) criminals BEFORE they were approved by Congress!

9. Helen says:

And Nixon had form in going after the enemies of your great country. Remember Alger Hiss? Nixon was the one who really nailed him. The liberal establishment never forgave him for that.

10. Ron Russell says:

I couldn’t wash Obugger down with a barrel of good German suds.

11. Seen on Twitter: “‘Teachable Moment’ – the best name for a new model handgun.” It appealed to me. :">

Another round for the house on me! <:-p

12. Great White Rat says:

I guess a beer summit is better than a Kool-Aid summit…. ;)

OK, here’s your “teachable moment”: the lesson is that whenever Obama tosses around the race card, he’s creating a distraction. The logic is that if we’re all focusing on Crowley and Gates, we’re not paying attention to something he’s screwing up royally. Therefore, always look elsewhere when he behaves like a better-dressed Al Sharpton, and you’ll find the true issue.

In this case it was his terminally-ill “health care” fiasco. But considering this news, maybe we can expect many more “distractions”:

The results of the new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll are a major warning sign for Barack Obama and Democrats in Congress. On some key issues, the gains that Democrats had made on Republicans in the last couple of years have disappeared, and the GOP has begun to reassert itself. In other policy areas, traditional Democratic leads are diminishing…In the past, Democrats have usually led in areas like health care and education, while Republicans have led in issues like national security and taxes.

During the Bush administration, Democrats made huge gains in some important Republican areas. For example, on the question of which party would do a better job in handling the federal budget deficit, Democrats held a 19-point advantage in a November 2005 Journal poll, a 25-point advantage in July 2007, and a 22-point advantage in January 2008.

Now all that has changed. In the new poll, the results have completely turned around, and Republicans hold a six-point advantage. On the related issue of controlling government spending, in July 2007, Democrats held a 16-point advantage. In the new poll, Republicans hold a nine-point lead.

Also in the Bush years, Democrats erased the Republican advantage on the issue of taxes. In November 2005, Democrats held a 10-point advantage over Republicans on the tax issue. That lead diminished over the next few years, but Democrats still held a five-point advantage in January 2008. In the new poll, Republicans have a seven-point advantage.

I don’t put undue faith in polls more than a year before an election, but if the GOP is smart, they’ll start pounding away at these impressions and reinforce them until they become second-nature, conventional wisdom by November of 2010.

13. *clinks beer bottle to beer bottle w/ Anthony* Oh wait, I shouldn’t be drinking – I’m working …

14. Excellent, GWR! Would you like a brewski?

15. Great White Rat says:

Sure, ST….got a Newcastle or Anchor Steam? :d

16. Earlier today, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said that “…it’s our hope that, as the president said, this can be part of a teachable moment…”

I hope he didn’t mean Obama would be doing the teaching because he is just about the last person I’m interested in hearing from about race. Someone who went to a racist church for 20 years, listened to a kook hatemonger preacher, and only left when it was politically expedient, has nothing to tell me.

17. Sure, GWR – lemme finish restocking the bar with peanuts and pretzels, and I’ll have a cold mug of Anchor Steam ready for ya in a jiff (hic!).

18. Tango says:

Loved the video! I *miss* Lowenbrau, dagnabit! (:|

19. Tom – that is the biggest sham of all of this, that Obama is the one to bring about the “racial healing.” Everytime I hear that term nowadays as it relates to his admin, it makes me wanna hurl.

20. Tango – did you have a few suits like that? :p

21. Doug says:

I couldn’t watch it. I kept on having images in my mind of those infamous staged photo-ops Saddam Hussein had with the English children who were being held as ‘guests’ of Saddam. Too creepy.

22. steveegg says:

Sounds like (a) things went as expected at the White House, and (b) I missed a real good time here.

Looks like we should be able to deliver #2,000,000 sometime this weekend.

23. steve – no worries. I really enjoyed hosting this “summit” and will likely have one again in the near future in honor of our 44th prez.

Cheers!

24. OK – last call, everyone …

25. Ok, y’all. I enjoyed it. Nite nite!

26. Rob says:

Off topic : Well since there’re couple fewer people buying beer in the People’s Republic (Cambridge, MA) I decided I would.
    Well, my decision wasn’t just because 3 people of Irish ancestry (one with a badge, one with a temper, one known to put his foot in his mouth) were tipping one back with some son of a Moslem (who actually was the only one with a surname starting with O) but you see Governor Patrick (Obama’s lil butty, sort of a Barak jr… full of BS ) along with a legislature largely of crooks with a sprinkling of moonbats saw fit to raise our sales tax 1.25%, from 5% to 6.25%(it starts tomorrow).
    What you say, no big deal? Well, you see, in spite of collecting taxes on alcohol beverages not directly from, but passed along to consumers, there was no retail sales tax on alcohol products, but starting tomorrow there is a 6.25% retail sales tax on them. So tonight is a good night to buy good expensive beer.
    I suppose next time I buy expensive beer will be next week when I’m shopping in New Hampshire. (Where there is No sales tax period)
    Congratulation MA.gov you’re hurting your own retailers.
    Slainte Mr Governor

27. Rob says:

O and unlike Mr. Gates my beer was American, not that I won’t buy foreign (I can’t seem to find a German style lager made in the USA, but I can find 1,000 versions of American made IPA) but I believe White house tradition of only serving American beer was broken for this self important narcissist to drink a Jamaican beer. That bothers me

28. *clinks beer bottle to beer bottle w/ Anthony* Oh wait, I shouldn’t be drinking – I’m working …

Hey! I thought you were driving. [-x

(I’ll finish it for you… *hic!*)

29. Steve Skubinna says:

Damn, figures I’d show up after closing. Well, I’m afloat and can’t imbibe now anyway.

Incidentally, there’s only one place I know of that has Anchor Steam on tap. A restaurant called The Seafood Market, in San Diego, just south of the old Navy pier foot of Broadway (where the USS Midway is now berthed as a museum). That place is a must visit whenever I’m in SD. Seafood there is nearly as good as what I can get up in The Great Northwest.

BTW, if anyone’s in San Diego when I am, I’ll show you where my favorite margaritas are mixed.

30. Steve Skubinna says:

Now that somebody brought up Anchor Steam, I used to have to go to Oakland for work related, um, work. While Gertrude Steins’ depiction of Oakland is needlessly optimistic, positive, and charitable (for one thing, there is a there there, and it sucks), there are some good spots within a couple of BART stops.

A cafe in Rockridge called The Rockridge Cafe (hey, why make things complicated, huh?) had Anchor products (bottled, not on tap). My favorite weekend breakfast was Hacienda Fries (cottage fries topped with cheese, salsa and sour cream) with a side of chorizo and an Anchor Porter. Breakfast of champions!

The first time I ordered that it took the waiter aback. He froze for a second, muttered “That’s an unusual order,” then paused… “But it sure sounds good!”

31. Kate says:

Hangover cures anyone? We will certainly need them once Obama has been voted out of office….and all the other scoundrels that parade around as paragons of virtue in the Senate and Congress.

I heard this morning that Gates changed his beer to Sam Adams light. Which I am happy about.

I watched some of the video this morning and I have to laugh. If this wasn’t a dog and pony show photo op, then I’m a billionaire living in the Bahamas. When Joe, I make stuff up, Biden reached for his beer he looked over and smiled at the press as if to say, “look at me!! I’m sitting at the big kids table”. LOL What a door knob!! It was pretty obvious this was a joke. Of course these days, if Obama does it, I figure it’s for some opportunistic reason.

Notice how he hasn’t said squat about these grave robbers in Chicago?? I could be wrong, mostly cuz I can’t listen to this guy anylonger, but has he said anything about this???

I am sorry I missed the virtual beer summit tho. :( would have been fun to hang around here and drink a few Amber Bocks. – Lorica

33. Tom TB says:

I only learned one thing from this whole fiasco; if you are a white, good guy play by the rules cop, and you properly arrest one of Obama’s arrogant out of control hate whitey friends, you get to go to the White House and have a brew with perp and Prez!

34. Great White Rat says:

SondraK has a great take on the beer summit. :))

35. vigilocanis says:

The professor receives a “C” for his statement after the beerfest with Sgt. Crowley and the Calibrator-in chief.

Dear Professor Gates.

Although I have enjoyed parodying this Trooper-Gates episode on my blog and else where, at your expense, I congratulate you on your statement that recognizes the role of law enforcement and the individual freedoms that we often take for granted.

Growing up in segregated Alabama, I observed first hand the intimidation, belittlement, and humiliation of black traffic offenders, by a bigoted rogue state trooper, for no other reason than their skin color. Home from college one summer in 1969, as I rode with the trooper on night patrol, I witnessed first hand, how he would go out of his way to harass blacks and treat them totally different that the whites he would stop. I saw the fear in their eyes and the embarassment on their faces.

But believe or not, based on my experience knowing other white law enforcement officers from the past until now, he was the exception to the rule. But, admittedly, he was not the only one. For the African-Americans who experienced the hatred of these ignorant sworn agents of the government, it would have been difficult to have ever respected a cop again.

However, by choosing to treat all police officers as if they were the same bigots as the rogue trooper, you are wrong.

Most are men and women law enforcement officers would give up their lives to protect total strangers. And regrettably, they do.

Your reaction to Crowley, although less hateful, was similar to the trooper’s interaction with innocent African-Americans. You saw him as a caricature of all rogue cops and the trooper saw blacks as a negative caricature based on ignorant stereotypes. Your behavior, can no more be excused than the racial profiling that the trooper had practiced.

That is why I am giving you a “C” on your statement. It was well written, concise, and succinct. It made some good points. But you missed the opportunity to say that you were wrong. You equated your behavior with that of Sgt. Crowley’s, but there is no evidence that Mr. Crowley let whatever prejudices he may have, influence his behavior. You did, and; you were wrong.

If you truly believed that Crowley was acting like that trooper in Alabama, you would have never agreed to the sit-down. If you knew in your heart of hearts that Crowley was a racist intimidator, and you agreed to the White House spectable, you were a sell-out.

If, in retrospect, you realize that it was you that was guilty of the racial profiling you plan to document about others, then you should apologize, but with the explanation of the experiences that drove you to react in the wrong way you chose.

If you do ever decide to amend your statement with an apology to Sgt. Crowley, but with an explanation of why you and other minorities continue to experience the injustices and the prejudices of racism, you will truly provide a “teachable moment.”

Until then, you have simply added to the confusion of race relations in America.

You still have time to pull your grade up to an “A”.

36. Great White Rat says:

This will come as no shock, I’m sure.

Apparently this isn’t the first time Gates had an encounter with law enforcement and mouthed off. WHDH in Boston reports:

“Attitude poor” was the note that a Rhode Island state trooper included in a 1984 speeding ticket issued to then Yale professor Henry Louis Gates.

There’s more:

Gates contacted the Rhode Island Traffic Court in 2002, asking to settle the fine. The case was dismissed after he paid a court cost of $25.

Traffic tickets are like income taxes to elitist liberals; only the great unwashed masses pay them. From what I can determine, in 2002 Gates was getting an award from the National Endowment for the Humanities (another one of those ways a black man is treated in America, dontcha know) and might have been trying to prevent embarassment. After 18 years, I’m damn sure he didn’t arrange to pay up because his conscience was bothering him.

37. greg says:

Kudos to vigilocanis. This would have been the letter I’d have written had I been a bit more eloquent, and I can’t tell you how sad I am to have missed my opportunity to have ST as my personal beer wench.