Shock study: A year of the average man’s life is spent ogling women

Posted by: ST on August 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Via the UK Sun:

MEN ogle up to TEN women every day, researchers have revealed.

They spend an average of 43 minutes admiring girls – which adds up to A YEAR in a lifetime.

The study shows celebs like David Beckham, Barack Obama and Bruce Willis were only doing what comes naturally when they were pictured eyeing up beauties.

But blokes don’t have it all their own way. Women ogle up to six men for 20 minutes a day – or six months of their lives.

Mark Ireland, of Kodak Lens Vision Centres, which carried out the poll, said: “Men are renowned for looking at women but it’s interesting to see just how long they spend doing it.

Researchers assumed a person’s life of ogling takes place between the ages of 18 and 50 – which will surprise a lot of randy 16 and 60-year-olds.

The poll of 3,000 Britons revealed supermarkets were the favourite ogling location for men, followed by pubs and nightclubs. Women listed bars as their top spot for eyeing male talent.

The majority of both sexes said they were flattered by the attention. But men enjoyed it more and 20 per cent of women were embarrassed.

Most women said it was a fella’s sexy eyes that first drew their gaze. With men it was a girl’s figure.

Naw – really?

I wish I had the money that these “researchers” used on pre-determined outcome “studies” like this one – and like the one that “discovered” that sex was “always” on mens’ minds, and the one about men wasting more time on the road than women because they won’t ask for directions as quickly as women will. I could put the money to much better use, like on finding out which salon nationwide gives the best massages, and sampling vacation spots around the world to find out which one is the absolute hands-down best.

You know – things like that $-) :D

26 Responses to “Shock study: A year of the average man’s life is spent ogling women”

Comments

1. proof says:

All I’ve got to say is, some of you slackers aren’t keeping up!

2. “A year of your life is a long time to spend with your eyes fixed on the opposite sex.”

I’m sorry. I fail to see the problem. :d

3. Jimmie says:

They wrote that article like there was something wrong with it!

I fall well outside the 18-50 norm, even ST’s 16-60, but I’ll be darned if I’ll ever stop admiring the opposite sex.

Now, if I could only remember what for?

5. Steve Skubinna says:

Yeah, I’d say one year spent ogling women is not the worst use of time a guy could manage.

But the bad part is, I’m being grievously shortchanged. In my work I spend up to ten months of any year in a nearly exclusively male environment, so my hetero ogling stats are way the hell down. I even missed the open thread where ST acted as the barmaid, so I can’t even get any virtual ogling in, damn it!

So where’s the government program to address this gross inequity? Surely some tax dollars could be spent in providing me ogling fodder – uh, and I mean that in the most respectful, sensitive-to-their-needs manner possible. Because I am the last guy who would objectify the babes.

And just because I am the last guy who did is not relevant to my point.

6. Yax K'uk' Mo' says:

I’d like to know how accurate that study actually is. When you have an office that overlooks the University of Tampa, I think it tends to skew the results…

7. Jean says:

I love it!! I’ve been married 45 years to the same fella and I see him looking and I’m glad, the flip side would be he’s not breathing. I’ve seen some lively male lookers that resemble tigers slobbering over their prey or a glancing once over – It’s amusing for an old lady over the hill to watch nice looking men evaluate the female physique and probably not even realize they are being watched much less realize they are looking – or do they – do you? Now when I look at a good looking guy, you’re darn right I am looking and I know it!! I may be at Medicare age but I’m still breathing. Fun article – thanks!

8. Mwalimu Daudi says:

…..uh….?….yeah …..!

oh-

Forgive me. Some hot babe (my wife) just walked by. What is the topic of this thread again?

9. 2Hotel9 says:

I don’t know, gang. Seems like a lowball estimate to me!

10. Severian says:

Only a year? Amateurs!

My wife is with you Jean, she doesn’t mind if I look, but I do try and do it discretely and not drool. :d

11. Dana says:

Yet our lovely hostess took down her picture from this site, so we can’t virtually ogle her. :(

12. Helen says:

I do frequently wonder how one gets a job that involves producing research for large sums of money that states the bleedin’ obvious. :-w

13. Larry Sheldon says:

The un-answered question:

How much time do women spend picking out clothing, donning said clothing just so, selecting and applying war-paint, practicing walking and so on for the specific purpose of attracting the ogling?

14. Great White Rat says:

MEN ogle up to TEN women every day, researchers have revealed.

That reminds me….gotta start getting back to the gym more. ;)

15. Severian says:

Jeez, no kidding! I’ve been trying to figure out how to tap that goldmine for years, but nooo, they keep expecting originality and results! And solutions to real problems! Darned DoD evil taskmasters. They actually expect their science and engineering to work and be relevant! Oh the humanity!

But I do work in an office overlooking the local university…ahhhhh!:d (Where’s that smiley with binoculars?)

Ok we all know this number is low… Look at the test subject.. Brits???? Come on guys, we all know us Americans ogle women at least twice as long. It is impossible not to.

I worked in an accounting office that has some of the most beautiful women, and they knew how to dress… which is highly important. There would be days that if I got thru half my work, I was doing good. The smell of some of these women as they passed by… who could concentrate on the accounting at hand. Or the breeze as they would pass by my desk and the flip of the dress as a woman of grace would walk by. WOW!! Ohhh the memories….Those were some good times. – Lorica

17. Larry, it depends on the woman ;)

I don’t think most women mind men ogling them, as long as it’s not the overt walking-past-the-construction-zone crude yelling and gesturing type stuff. It makes a woman feel good to know that some dude thinks she’s attractive. Women have egos, too, even though we usually refuse to admit it :)

The most frustrating thing to me is when I go some place like the grocery store, or to get gas or something and took very little time on my hair (bad ponytail) and makeup (barely doing the bare minimum), am wearing sweats, an old T and flip flops, and then some guy looks at me appreciatively. I guess I shouldn’t say “frustrating” because it’s nice to know that you can look not at your best and still have people look or whatever, but at the same time you think “Ok, I don’t get near as much attention when I really put in an effort. What am I doing wrong?” :((

On the flip side, rest assured, gents: That six month figure for women ogling men – it’s way off, especially for any of us who live and work nearby fire stations and/or sports and military training facilities ;;)

18. Severian says:

I remember back in the 60′s or so, when books like “The Sensuous Man” and “The Sensuous Woman” were all the rage, Isaac Asimov, writing under a pseudonym, wrote “The Sensuous Dirty Old Man.” What a hoot. In it he admonished dirty old men everywhere to leer and gawk at young women. Just think, he said, she and her mother have put hours into the selection of her clothes, application of her make-up, and doing her hair. If no one pays her any attention, she will go home heartbroken and cry herself to sleep for days, thinking she’s not pretty, so do the girl a favor, leer! :d

As for guys looking on appreciatively when you are in frumpy mode ST, that’s just an indication of true beauty. A really beautiful woman is not one who only looks good dolled up, but the kind who will look great on the 6th morning of a week long live aboard dive boat cruise. Believe me, that is what marks truly beautiful women. Many of us guys appreciate the more natural look. ;)

19. Homer Boiteux (Baton Rouge) says:

Down here in Louisiana it’s two and a half years, if I remember right. But we’ve got Louisiana girls!

20. What a nice thing to say! Thank you, Sev :">

I bet that book sure drove the rad-fems crazy.

It’s funny – but women are the same way towards each other. I’m sure most of us have had a moment when we’ve walked into work or gone over to a female friend’s house, to hear them say “What did you do to your hair? It looks great!” when you did nothing more than let it air dry because you were running behind ;) Of course the next day when you try to duplicate it by putting the effort into it to get it to look that way again, it doesn’t work … LOL.

21. Ryan says:

Doesn’t one of these Captain Obvious studies appear pretty much on an annual basis?

43 minutes.. I’d say that’s low. :)

ST, the beauty of a woman is not in how she is made up with make up, but how she is made up within herself. Obviously, if you get those looks on a “bad hair day”, your make up is not made up.

23. Great White Rat says:

I’m with Sev on this, 100%. I’m not impressed by a woman who works overtime making sure her makeup is just right, her outfit is the latest style and perfectly coordinated, and the jewelry is properly flashy. When I see that, my thought is “she’s trying too hard.” I always wonder how much of the beauty there is her and how much is the camouflage.

A woman who looks good when she’s not working at it – THAT’S the one who shines. THAT’s the one who will turn my head every time. ;)

I’m obviously a bit old-fashioned, but why do I look at the way girls/women dress today and immediately get the image of streetwalkers in my head? And this includes a good number (especially the younger ones, age 12-30) of those who attend church services!

Since when has it become chic to look like the town “ho”?

I’m with Sev and GWR on this one.

25. Wry Mouth says:

In an equally scientific study of my peers and high school students, I discovered that the average male spends almost one year, annually, ogling women.

We feel this is more in line with reality.

26. Brad says:

Well it’s nice to see that someone has spent time (and probably A LOT of money) quantifying the obvious. Although, in this instance, I believe I would be above average even though I’m 27 and single. The “average male” sounds more like a dude who’s married and whenever he leaves the house, he’s going out shopping with his significant other, which gives him a small window to “ogle” before he’s busted. High school and college guys probably spend quadruple that on staring at women because, well, guys that age will sleep with any woman who has a pulse.

I may be single but I’m not ignorant. I used to catch hell when my ex-girlfriends caught me looking and I’d try to explain it (quite futile), then manage to dig myself a deeper hole.

How did this turn into a discussion about whether it’s women drawing attention to themselves by wearing skimpy clothes? Seriously, I’ve got testosterone pumping through my body and I’m gonna check out attractive women no matter what they’re wearing (certain articles of clothing excluded of course) and, contrary to what many my peers find attractive, while I may check out women wearing skirt shorter than my socks, no panties, no bra, etc, I don’t have any respect for them. Those women are just trying to get attention, and they get it, but from the wrong men. No decent man wants to be with a woman who objectifies herself in that manner. Women can be attractive without dressing like a cheap Vegas hooker. Unfortunately, the “cheap hooker” look is in and the “I respect myself, but I still want to look good” look is out.