Move over, Joe! Gaffetastic Obama is hot on your heels

Posted by: ST on August 11, 2009 at 6:41 pm

This is so, so priceless:

[At the NH town hall] Mr. Obama said health care overhaul would free up doctors to concentrate on treatment because they would not be prodded to schedule unnecessary tests. He said the fact that Medicare allowed Mr. Anderson to return to Lipitor showed that the federal system worked. And he said that a government-run public option should not put private insurers out of business, but rather force them to be more competitive, even going so far as to compare the competition between the two to the competition among Federal Express, U.P.S, and the Postal Service.

“U.P.S. and FedEx are doing just fine,” Mr. Obama joked. “It’s the post office that’s always having problems.”

Er, um … I’m speechless, but Phil Klein picks up the slack:

The gaffe arose from the inherent contradiction of those arguing for the introduction of a government government-run plan. On the one hand, Obama and other supporters of the idea argue that we need to have a strong government plan to create more efficiency, drive down prices, and “keep private insurers honest.” Yet at the same time, they have to make it appear weaker to push back against those of us who argue that it will threaten private insurance and move us toward a single-payer system. So then you get statements in which Obama, in the course of arguing for a government-run system, takes a shot at the government-run post office.

Here’s the video:

Sometimes the best gifts you get are from your opponents themselves. It’d be great if the RNC got creative and use that line in an ad like they did with Kerry’s “I voted for it before I voted against it” line, but I won’t hold my breath.

Cross-posted to the Public Secrets blog, where I am helping guestblog for the vacationing Anthony this week.

21 Responses to “Move over, Joe! Gaffetastic Obama is hot on your heels”

Comments

1. Tango says:

…as if we needed any more proof that official Washington (in their supreme arrogance) has NO clue! :-@

2. utopianna says:

How much time do you think doctors spend on ‘extra tests’ that take up so much of their time? Wasn’t this the perfect time to introduce the need for tort reform????? snicker :]

3. Severian says:

Biden is very fond of torts, especially the ones the serve down at Katy’s Diner! :d

4. arcman says:

The intelligence displayed by Obama is staggering.

5. NC Cop says:

In my best Forrest Gump voice:

I am not a smart man….but I am the President of the United States.

6. Carol says:

Yeah, baby, this is just the beginning of the gaffes by Obama! His true colors are starting to shine through for all his supporters who think this guy’s the Messiah. Hopefully we’ll start to see buyers’ remorse. I won’t hold my breath though.:(

7. Joseph Brown says:

Good one Severian!
    I really am starting to feel as if this administrarion is coming apart. Obie making gaffs that OBiden usually makes, Hillary blowing up in Africa. Geitner(sp) begging for a higher deficit number.
    Man, it don’t get no bettern’at.
    If Obie doesn’t get his healthcare bill passed I can see him in a fetal position sucking his thumb, asking the Amazon what happened

Sev, isn’t a tort what Falstaff chased around in pubs?

Next Duh-1 will be calling for auto dealerships to manage car licensing so the DMV won’t be screwing up so bad.

Oh, wait! That would be the state, if it’s a GM dealership.

9. SpideyTerry says:

You know, Biden says a lot of dumb things, but at least it’s ammusing and he doesn’t come across as a jerk that thinks he knows everything but doesn’t.

And about what Obama said – wow, just wow. The only positive is that it’s nice to know I’m smarter than the leader of the free world.

10. proof says:

It’s a case of the left brain not knowing what the right brain is thinking!

11. Steve Skubinna says:

Post Office + Medical Care. Right. Now, there’s a reassuring juxtaposition. Just toss in the IRS and DMV and we’ll be signing up in droves.

12. Great White Rat says:

Let me understand….he used the fact that the Post Office is less efficient than UPS or FedEx as a point in favor of turning health care over to the government??? :o

I’ll bet David Axelrod was turning purple with rage. Probably fired off a note to his staff that reads something like “Never, ever let the boss say so much as two words without the teleprompter.”

13. Severian says:

It’s a case of the left brain not knowing what the right brain is thinking!

More like a case of the left cheek not knowing what the right cheek is doing, but the a-hole is doing the talking. ;)

proof, it’s more a case of the left brain not knowing what the left brain is thinking, and the right brain is dead anyway.

Note to Axelrod: even a staged and highly controlled “townhall” is incredibly dangerous without TOTUS.

15. Hal says:

I saw that when he was giving the speech and about fell out of my chair. Unbelieveable admission. The logical conclusion then is to let private industry solve the problem.

But of course that is in no way the goal of our government.

16. BidEdsBlog says:

Obamacare will be just like the post office, long lines and shitty service. However, there is one major difference between the two. If the post office screws up, little Johnny doesn’t get grandma’s birthday card she sent him. If Obamacare screws up, you die.
    Chack out my take, and stick around for more good content.

LINK

17. Dave B says:

From what I have witnessed “Obama-care” is history. I feel proud to be a citizen of a country where average taxpaying citizens recognize a weasel and liar when they see it. Keep staging more events you elitist, racist, bastard because you’re sinking your chances of getting re-elected because you underestimate your country and your own citizens. Keep listening to those fools that surround you… you know the ones that ATTACK voters for asking questions.

Actually, Dave B, he overestimated his country and severely underestimated ours.

“Hell, NO, I’m tired of this and I ain’t gonna take it any more!” is the battle cry of those who want to get guvmint out of their homes, their offices, their cars, their banks and their doctors’ offices.

The function of guvmint is to protect its citizens from enemies, foreign and domestic. When will they protect us from the guvmint?