Report: John Edwards to admit soon that he is father of mistress’ baby

Posted by: ST on August 13, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Via WRAL:

Raleigh, N.C. — Sources have told WRAL News that they expect former U.S. Sen. John Edwards to admit that he is the father of his former mistress’ 18-month-old daughter.

Edwards, a two-time Democratic presidential candidate, confessed last August to having an affair with Rielle Hunter, who served as a videographer on Edwards’ 2008 campaign. He has denied fathering her daughter, saying his relationship with Hunter ended before the child was conceived.

The name of the girl’s father isn’t disclosed on her birth certificate.

Andrew Young, a long-time Edwards aide, initially claimed to be the father of Hunter’s child, but he is reportedly writing a book in which he will claim Edwards is the father.

[...]

Sources said Edwards’ public admission could come before the end of the criminal investigation.

I’m trying to figure out why he didn’t make this admission when he first confessed to the affair? I mean, at that point his political career was pretty much over – why not go all the way? Then again, as I’ve noted numerous times before, this man is a slick pathological liar and will dodge and weave and lie on just about any issue.

I wish his illegitimate young daughter the best life has to offer. Hopefully she’ll never know how hard her father tried to deny the fact that she was his.

Cross-posted to the Public Secrets blog, where I am guestblogging for the vacationing Anthony this week.

19 Responses to “Report: John Edwards to admit soon that he is father of mistress’ baby”

Comments

1. NC Cop says:

Edwards was, is, and continues to be an embarrassment for the state of North Carolina. :(

2. Great White Rat says:

ST asks:

I’ll answer your question with a question: when is the last time you saw leftists accept responsibility for anything they mess up? With a leftist, anything that’s wrong is always someone else’s fault.

3. ClassicFilm says:

Democrats/statists in the public eye will lie until the very last moment… telling the truth is usually a no-way-out, last-ditch “crap, I’ve really painted myself in a corner” dramatic media scene. And when they DO tell the unflattering truth, they are really gosh-almighty proud of themselves. And they want everyone else to be proud of them for taking the high road for a change, giving them accolades and ice cream sundaes and unicorns and gushing testimonials.

Al Gore got all that AND a boatload of statuette awards and he STILL hasn’t told the truth about the global warming scam.

Statists don’t like telling the truth when it makes them look bad because it poisons their DNA strands… shortens their lifespan. Or something like that.
    :d

With any luck, by the time she’s 13 she’ll deny Edwards is her father.

Just desserts, ya know.

5. Jo says:

When will these powerful, wealthy men understand that when they relinquish ownership of a personal substance that has the potential to create a human being, some gold-digging slut out there is going to take it and do just that??? Hello???

With a leftist, anything that’s wrong is always someone else’s fault.

Tough to hide, when someone is holding the DNA evidence. =))

From the 1st moment I met John Edwards, you could see in him that he was a shister. That for all his spit and polish, he was devious and calculating. This only proves my point, and I thank God above that he was never our VP or will never be our President. – Lorica

7. Tango says:

…I wish this child well. And pray she’ll make better decisions than her mother OR her father.

(And) the good news is, my Raiders STOMPED the hated Cowgirls in last night’s preseason opener. :d/

8. Severian says:

Actually, I feel sorry for the kid. Can you imagine what it would be like learning that a sleazy ambulance chaser like Edwards is your father? Better put the kid on suicide watch now, just to be safe.

9. yo says:

This story reminds me of something.

Why won’t the most transparent president evah release his personal information?

Can you imagine going to a job interview and telling them they can’t see your college records? Or that you’ll get your lawyers to stop anyone who tries to get them?

:-?

1) With Kerry as his role model, it’s no wonder His Hollowness hasn’t released his personal info. I mean, we still haven’t seen Frenchy’s war record that was promised so many years ago.

2) When he is old (I was going to say “and feeble”, but he’s always been there) maybe Edwards can channel the spirit of this child to himself, ’cause I’m sure he won’t have anything to do with her before then.

11. Steve Skubinna says:

With a leftist, anything that’s wrong is always someone else’s fault.

So who are you fingering here, GWR? Aside, that is, from the obvious: Bush!

12. Severian says:

So who are you fingering here, GWR? Aside, that is, from the obvious: Bush!

Either him or Emmanuel Goldstein…

13. Brontefan says:

So who are you fingering here, GWR?

There’s enough blame to go around! I think the majority of politicians feel that we work for them.

14. Great White Rat says:

So who are you fingering here, GWR?

In this case, it was Edwards’ staffer, until the evidence proved too conclusive to ignore or deny.

I’m thinking more of the way leftists approach anything they mess up – Freddie/Fannie, public education, Social Security, tax hikes, etc. You’ll never see a lib step up and say “You know, maybe we were wrong.” Hell, Duh-1 couldn’t even admit he was wrong in jumping to conclusions about the Gates-Crowley incident.

Actually, GWR, all the congresspeople jump in all the time and admit they were wrong.

Trouble is, they always finish it up with “…and here is how to fix it…”

And that’s where our woes are multiplied geometrically.

They can’t run Medicare or Social Security without incurring astronomical debt, yet they want us to believe that if health “insurance” reform is built like Medicare it won’t cost us more than the sum total of wealth on earth?

16. Dana says:

Our esteemed hostess wrote:

I’ve got to admit: I never thought of that particular angle. He could have gotten all of the bad news out on the table, one time, and gotten it out of the news.

I suppose it’s possible that Mr Edwards didn’t absolutely know at the time, or was somehow trying to spare Mrs Edwards one more bit of anguish, but that might be giving your former senator a bit too much credit.

17. btenney says:

There was a time your first consideration was for your Kids. Still is for real People.

18. Jeanette says:

You know, the sad part about all this is one day that little girl will be old enough to look up all the stories of this sordid affair; her father denying her, her mother enabling him to deny her, her father’s wife referring to her as “it” etc.

She’s the only innocent one out of the bunch and yet she’s the one who will carry the shame all her life.