David Paterson: People don’t want me to run for re-election because I’m black

Posted by: ST on August 21, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Via the NY Post (h/t JWF):

ALBANY — Gov. Paterson has officially played the race card.

The beleaguered Democratic governor in a radio interview this morning blamed his troubles on a racist media that he said has taken part in an “orchestrated” effort to get him out of office.

Paterson, a former lieutenant governor, who faces an uphill election fight next year, argued that other prominent black politicians, including President Obama, had received similar treatment.

“I submit that the same kind of treatment that (Gov.) Deval Patrick is receiving right now in Massachusetts, and I’m receiving; the way in which the New York State Senate was written about, calling them a bunch of people with thick necks – they’re talking about (Senate President) Malcolm Smith and (Senate Democratic Leader) John Sampson – that we’re not in the post-racial period,” Paterson said.

“The reality is that the next victim on the list and you see it coming is President Barack Obama, who did nothing more than try to reform a health care system that’s not ten percent of GDP and will be 20 percent of GDP in the next four years only because he’s trying to make change,” the governor continued.

LOL! So the same mainstream media who greatly aided in pushing Obama to the finish line in the presidential election last year is now a “racist” bunch intent on throwing their ‘messiah’ – and Paterson – out of office? Furthermore, are the New Yorkers who at the beginning of the year gave Paterson an approval rating in the mid-50s now “racists” for changing their minds?

Hmmm. Lemme see. Is the Governor aware of a poll – taken back in late March – which showed that, in addition to his approval ratings sinking from 51% to 19% in two months, black voters in NY had serious issues with him as well?

ALBANY – Gov. Paterson’s job performance ratings have crashed thorough the floor, with less than one in five New Yorkers saying he’s doing well, a new poll shows.

Just 19% of those polled gave him a positive rating, while 78% turned thumbs down, the Siena College poll found. That’s down from 51% positive and 45% negative in the same poll just two months ago.

[...]

A whopping 67% of voters say they’d prefer someone else for governor next year, compared to just 14% who say they would vote to elect Paterson to a full four-year term.

The poll found black voters would prefer someone else to Paterson by a 52%-25% margin.

Gee – are they racists, now, too?

Gov. Paterson apparently doesn’t understand that when you’re not doing a good job, eventually people are going to figure it out and it’s going to show up in your approval ratings. But I won’t blame him for his failure to grasp that basic fact. As we all know, there are many liberals out there who almost never take personal responsiblity for their own actions, tending instead to blame their failings on everyone else – in essence, playing the victim card. Gov. Paterson is obviously no exception. His remarks (which you can hear here in full) are entirely predictable.

Oh, but no worries. He’s issued a retraction … sort of:

“During a radio interview this morning, I made some observations about the tone of some of the recent negative media coverage.

“At no point did I claim that this media piling-on effect was due to race – elected officials of all races get piled on by the media all the time; that is the nature of our business. What I did point out was that certain media outlets have engaged in coverage that exploits racial stereotypes.

“That’s not only unfair – it’s wrong – and it sends an objectionable message. I will not shy away from speaking honestly about prejudices, some subtle and some not, nor will I fail to point out that we have a long way to go to achieve a truly post-racial society.”

Uh huh.

How soon til the Sharpton/Jackson brigades show up to rally ’round the Govnah? 8-|

Related: ST reader Anthony has a good post up on the whole issue of liberal race-card playing. You can read it here.

20 Responses to “David Paterson: People don’t want me to run for re-election because I’m black”

Comments

I guess it comes down to, no matter what the policy, you’re a racist if you disagree with a “person of color.” Is that a correct interpretation?

2. NC Cop says:

David Paterson: People don’t want me to run for re-election because I’m black

That is simply outrageous!!!!

It’s not because you’re black…….it’s because you’re a moron………….really.

3. Anthony says:

Carlos, sadly you’re right on. :(

4. Neo says:

Yet another example of “color blind racism

5. twistedmuser says:

Figures, but nothing new there. The all encompassing excuse for everything. I’m glad I found your site. Very interesting. By the way, Western North Carolina is God’s country!:)

6. Leslie says:

Stick a fork in him–he’s done. The odds are better than even that he won’t run. Chuck Schumer and Assembly Speaker Shelly Silver will get the White House to make him an offer he can’t refuse. He’ll end up in a subcabinet position and Atty. Genl. Andrew Cuomo will run for governor.

7. Steve Skubinna says:

Wah, wah, waaaaah. Are all New Yorkers whiney little wienies?

Oh, and racism, but of course. What else could it possibly be? I sure hope he’s already got himself a rat’s ass, because that is precisely what I don’t give.

You know, nearly every election in America since the founding has had a winner and a loser. Has every single one of them been due to racism? Why didn’t Bush 43 cry “racism” when the media dumped all over him? Why didn’t Bush 41, or Clinton, or Carter, or Reagan? Did Aaron Burr shoot Alexander Hamilton because of racism? Did George III complain that colonies rebelled because of racism?

8. Glenn Cassel AMH1(AW) USN RET says:

I just figured it was because he is a blithering idiot. Dang, I hate it when I’m wrong:d

9. Severian says:

This reminds me of a non-PC cartoon I saw years ago, this blind, black dude standing there with a cup and a sign begging that said “Help Me – I’m blind and I fear I may be black too!”

10. Carol says:

I’m a 47-year-old white female who absolutely, positively 100 percent wants Obama’s agenda to fail. If that makes me a racist … then I’m a damn proud racist!

P.S. My best friend is a proud, independent, African-American entrepreneur!

I’m with you, Glenn, except I would have said he was a total and thorough incompetent.

But, I guess because of his color, that doesn’t mean anything and totally and thoroughly incompetent people of color are just as qualified as competent people “not of color”.

But if I said that I’d be a racist because it doesn’t say not all people of color are not totally and thoroughly incompetent.

On the other hand, it also doesn’t say all people not of color are competent. And that’s surely the truest statement of all. After all, look who’s running both houses of Congress, and especially look at the RNC.

12. Ron Russell says:

“Play it again Sam” same old song from black political leaders—the spots are wearing off that old race card and its getting boring.

13. Porkchop says:

The reason Deval Patrick won’t be re-elected in MA? He’s done a terrible job. He’s kept zero of the promises he made when running for office, and is best known for spending money on himself and giving jobs to cronies by either creating new positions or filling slots that had been empty for years… while at the same time cutting the budget elsewhere and claiming the state needs to raise taxes.

14. Nina says:

Maybe black America needs to elect better politicians since they seem to vote blindly for them. Detroit(mayor pus Conyer’s wife among others),Mass,D.C.(good old Berry) NY and Mass are all liberal enclaves who have elected black candidates only to be followed by corruption and removal. They should look at themselves instead of blaming racism for these people corruption and incompetence.

15. 2Hotel9 says:

“David Paterson: People don’t want me to run for re-election because I’m black”

No, Davey, people don’t want you to run because you are a racist idiot, and a complete economics moron.

16. Leslie says:

Steve: Yes, “You won’t vote for me because I’m [insert minority status here]” is the last resort of whiny little weenies.

Nina: Gov. Paterson wasn’t elected governor. He was Lt. Gov. under Spitzer, who had to resign when it was discovered he was “client no. 9.”

Sev: Gov. Paterson is legally blind, but he can read.

17. Wry Mouth says:

It’s not because they’re racist that the New Yawkers are disapproving of the incumbent in droves — it’s because they’re New Yawkers.

So says this native Californian. ;o/

18. Dave B says:

Nina: You have hit on something that if actually confronted by our elected officials, would change our country for the better. You have also exposed something beneath the surface that is a festering boil on our Republic that no one has the courage to really address. I’ll say it. A majority of black Americans don’t like our country because they have been indoctrinated into thinking they are victims and must be taken care of, root for politicians that screw taxpayers and the system at the expense of everyone else, have been placed in a situation where they can whip out the race card any time they don’t get their way (because white people and others don’t have to work hard for anything or experience disappointments, racism, and unfairness), and their self respect and pride has apparently been robbed from them by their “leaders”. Black Americans that don’t think that way might as well be lepors. Those exact black Americans who have ten times the courage any of the others have have been minimized as “Uncle Toms” or something else. It’s a disease that has infected an entire society of America and the “Great One” that was elected is making it ten times worse. I hope some day, when he is old and in the December of his life that he has an epiphany and recognizes what he could have done and reflects on what he actually did and that he understands what the rest of us saw in his potential for really healing race relations, the potential he had to slap an entire race and generation of people in the face to smarten them up… but chose the easy way to be popular and pay off political debts instead. I hope that he is only a one term President, like Carter, because we can’t afford him, we will immediately have to repair the damage he has done financially, and the damage he has done to our liberties. What a friggin shame.

Dave, the same could be said about a couple of other prominent race-baiters, but it is more important to them to have the illusory “power” than it is to heal the wounds.