David Brooks and Barack Obama: A love story

Posted by: ST on August 31, 2009 at 1:57 pm

TNR has a revealing – and highly nauseating – piece on the “courtship” of David Brooks by Barack Obama. The story pretty much confirms what I and many others have been saying about David Brooks for a while now in that he’s allowed himself to be shamelessly used and abused by Beltway Democrats for at least the last several years, and none of them have used him more to their advantage than Barack Obama, David Axelrod (whose relationship with Brooks goes back decades) and others in The One’s administration. Here’s a snippet:

In the spring of 2005, New York Times columnist David Brooks arrived at then-Senator Barack Obama’s office for a chat. Brooks, a conservative writer who joined the Times in 2003 from The Weekly Standard, had never met Obama before. But, as they chewed over the finer points of Edmund Burke, it didn’t take long for the two men to click. “I don’t want to sound like I’m bragging,” Brooks recently told me, “but usually when I talk to senators, while they may know a policy area better than me, they generally don’t know political philosophy better than me. I got the sense he knew both better than me.”

That first encounter is still vivid in Brooks’s mind. “I remember distinctly an image of–we were sitting on his couches, and I was looking at his pant leg and his perfectly creased pant,” Brooks says, “and I’m thinking, a) he’s going to be president and b) he’ll be a very good president.” In the fall of 2006, two days after Obama’s The Audacity of Hope hit bookstores, Brooks published a glowing Times column. The headline was “Run, Barack, Run.”

Hey, there’s nothing wrong with getting to know the people you’re writing about. But when columnists stop being cynics of the opposition and instead write pieces that sound like official talking points, they turn into little more than their shills, which is exactly what’s happened to David Brooks, which probably explains why about the only people who read Brooks’ columns anymore are GOP Beltway elite types and senior officials in the Obama adminstration. The former to find out how to be more like Democrats, and the later to make sure he’s staying on point.

• Ed Driscoll trackbacked with Dispatches From The Trouser Press...
  • 12 Responses to “David Brooks and Barack Obama: A love story”

Comments

1. Anthony says:

Hey ST,

TNR has moved the article. I found it at this link, however: LINK

2. Thanks, Anthony! I’ll update the link now.

3. eaglewingz08 says:

Love is never having to say I’m bankrupt.
      Looks like Brooks is a card carrying member of NAMBLA (North American Media Barack Love Association).

4. Ron Russell says:

David Brooks has become a left leaning Rhino and not worthy of any more comments from me.

Don’tcha love the way the left tells us who we need to listen to? And who to nominate?

6. Homer Boiteux (Baton Rouge) says:

I don’t know what it is about BHObama, reporters and legs, but that Obama’s neatly creased pant leg signaled a message to Brooks’ psyche and BHO presence sets Chris Matthew’s legs a-tingling tells me a awful lot about American political reportage today!

7. Steve Skubinna says:

Good. God.

This has to be parody – because otherwise, we’d have to accept that a mature, intelligent human with a shred of dignity and self respect seriously produced this nauseating grovel at the clay feet of that brass idol Obama.

David Brooks, stand up, you puling worm and at least attempt to simulate a free citizen. You cringing obsequious toady, you have forfeited any respect I might have ever extended you, you pathetic crawling loathsome invertebrate sack of filth. I hate that I have wasted so many years of my life defending your sick right to toss away the freedoms your betters earned with ther blood.

How in hell could the same nation that produced Lincoln have cast up this wretch?

8. Anthony says:

Just a few weeks ago he shared that he had sat through a dinner at which an “unnamed” Republican senator had his hand on Brooks’ thigh under the table, while Brooks said nothing.

I used to like Brooks a lot, but there’s something increasingly creepy about his “confessions.”

9. NC Cop says:

“I got the sense he knew both better than me.”

That’s not saying much, Dave. My Labrador retriever knows both better than you.

10. Steve Skubinna says:

Yeah, NC, but your Lab doeesn’t talk like precious Brooksie. So he’s not one of the club.