Posted by: ST on December 2, 2009 at 8:03 pm

This guy seems to have the right idea:

US Army cadet

A U.S. Army cadet reads a book entitled 'Kill Bin Laden' as he waits with other cadets for U.S. President Barack Obama to deliver an address on U.S. policy and the war in Afghanistan at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York December 1, 2009.
REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

Via Michelle Malkin, who adds:

Several readers note the active service campaign ribbons and medals on the man’s chest and identify one of them as the Combat Infantryman’s Badge, showing he has been an Infantry Soldier under Combat. D. O’Brien writes: “The Cadet pictured in your piece on President Obama’s speech at West Point (December 1, 2009) is not a ‘traditional’ cadet. He is a former enlisted man – and an Infantryman who wears the Combat Infantryman’s Badge. This award is given only to Infantrymen who have participated in direct-fire engagements against the enemy.”

Rock on, dude!

14 Responses to “Photo of the day”

Comments

He should autograph the book and give it to Duh-1 as a reminder of what the primary mission in Afghanistan is.

2. Anthony says:

I think I’d rather hear a speech from him.

3. Dave B says:

The temperature in that room must have been just above freezing. I know that Obama is a narcissist but isn’t there anyone around him that can advise him without kissing his ass? How many “I’s” were there in this speech? I’ve seen more substance in a fortune cookie than I’ve heard in his latest speeches. We heard the usual apology for America, platitudes, and generalizations that mean nothing and he did it in front of the military! They must have felt like General Patton was rallying the troops when he insulted them about Gitmo. It was like watching someone give a speech to Holocaust survivors while at the same time making apologies to Nazi concentration camp guards for supporting the Jews. What the hell was that? They can take comfort, though, knowing that their Commander-in-Chief is worried about how much it will cost for them to be sent over there, get their asses shot off, and that he will make sure their parents get to pay taxes for the privilege. At least the Taliban knows how much time they have before they can start their own offensive. I, for one, have reached my limit with this guy. As far as I’m concerned, until he shows me different, he doesn’t know what he’s doing, everything is political, there’s no right or wrong, honor, or sense of American exceptionalism in anything he says or does. He’s a sellout and cares nothing about America and everything about himself and his radical buddies and how they and the rest of the world will perceive him.

4. CraicRJack says:

+1 brother Dave.

5. Peter says:

Assuming this is not a photoshop job this young man is exceptional, even more so than the normal “Kaydett”. Less than one half of one percent of enlisted Soldiers are ever offered the chance to go to Hudson High.

6. poptoy says:

**==I am like him. I would rather read a book instead of listening to a F—– Kenyan.

Is that the Army Comendation Medal ribbon below the CIB?? Sure looks like it. This cadet isn’t just a combat veteran, he could have distiguished himself under fire with and act of bravery above and beyond. – Lorica

8. Bastiat Fan says:

Another one who makes me proud to be an American… and awed that we have people of his calibre (no pun intended) in our military. Bless him for his service.

Oh, and rock on dude!

9. TWoPolitics says:

This cadet is more qualified to give a speech than Obama.

10. Chris in NC says:

Yeah, but… I respect and appreciate this site and the commenters here, but as much as I hate to, I have to disagree. If someone had done this during W’s speeches, many here and elsewhere would be decrying it. Like it or not, Obama is the Commander in Chief. Period. As such he is due the respect that is to be given to any CIC.

I guess I’m out to lunch because I thought it was disrespectful to the position. If I was his superior he’d have some explaining to do while cleaning some toilets. You don’t have to smile or applaud, but you sure as heck don’t read or turn your back or things like that. Medals or no.

11. Chris, he was reading it before Obama took the stage, not during Obama’s speech. Here was the caption, which I should have included:

A U.S. Army cadet reads a book entitled “Kill Bin Laden” as he waits with other cadets for U.S. President Barack Obama to deliver an address on U.S. policy and the war in Afghanistan at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York December 1, 2009.

12. Hmmm – just went to edit the post in order to add the caption and saw that I had put the caption there, but the coding was off a bit and I didn’t notice initially. Oh well – it’s fixed now.

The academies are all about learning and discipline. What better way to learn discipline than being forced to sit through a nonsensical, apologetic, self-aggrandizing monologue by the technical and Constitutional leader of the military who doesn’t have the sense to know who his friends OR enemies are?

Bravo to the young man for not wasting time (except as ordered to by listening to the speech).

14. Chris in NC says:

Ah, thanks, ST. In the immortal words of Gilda “Never mind”