Glenn Beck: Scott Brown never painted himself as small govt conservative

Posted by: ST on February 24, 2010 at 9:56 pm

This is something I’ve been wanting to comment on since Senator Brown’s vote for cloture on the jobs bill yesterday (and his vote in favor of the bill itself today) started prompting chants of “turncoat” and “RINO,” but Glenn Beck pretty much sums it up in the below video:

Apparently, more than a few people got the mistaken impression that Scott Brown was a small government conservative during his campaign against Martha Cho-, I mean Coakley. Where they got this idea, I’m not sure, because his record in the MA state legislature is decidedly mixed at best. Not only that, but two words should have summed it all up for any who were unsure: Massachusetts Republican.

Prior to his election, numerous conservative writers, including myself, called attention to the fact that Brown was no diehard conservative and predicted that he’d be a Republican in the mold of a Susan Collins and/or Olympia Snowe. But, even knowing that, he was endorsed by many of us primarily for three reasons: 1) his solid opposition to ObamaCare (restated today), 2) his stated pro-tax cut anti-pork stance, and of course 3) we wanted the seat formerly held by Ted Kennedy because we knew that if a Republican could win there, they could win anywhere – and in the process shock the nation and send the Democrats scurrying for cover.

I was never under any pretense about who Scott Brown was/is. I don’t think he’s a big government liberal, but he’s certainly not a small government conservative. He’s in the dreaded “middle” of the road, which is going to infuriate us sometimes, while other times he’s going to make us stand up and applaud – like he did when he verbally smacked down our Gaffetastic VP Biden last week on the issue of military law as it relates to terrorist detainees and military tribunals.

This isn’t to say that people shouldn’t complain about the way he votes. Quite the contrary. My point is, though, before anyone starts the “RINO” and “turncoat” chants, they ought to remember that Scott Brown repeatedly talked about “bipartisanship” and “working with the other side” during his campaign – and in his victory speech, in fact, and those are code words to most of us for “I’m going to vote with the other side sometimes, and you’re not always going to like it.”

Related to all this, I think the MSM duped themselves into believing Scott Brown was some dyed-in-the-wool conservative during the campaign, because since his vote for cloture on the jobs bill, all sorts of articles have popped up at sites like the AP, WaPo, the NYT and the Boston Globe all giddily reporting about an “independent streak” that they apparently weren’t aware he had. Well, as I wrote on Twitter yesterday, had the MSM been paying more attention during the campaign and done even the slightest digging on his record – instead of trying to carry water for the imploding Democrat candidate while at the same time painting Brown as some raging right winger – they might have figured out that Tom Coburn or Jim DeMint this guy ain’t.

And never will be.

Does that make him a bad guy? No. But I do think it’s important to try to put things in perspective amidst all the backlash surrounding his support for the jobs bill this week. Moderate? Yeah. Turncoat? No.

Related: James Taranto is on a similar wavelength (via Insty).

8 Responses to “Glenn Beck: Scott Brown never painted himself as small govt conservative”

Comments

Had the Lamestream Media done their due diligence and dug into Brown’s record in MA, they would have discovered he was nowhere close to what those of us outside Manhattan would call a “conservative.”

But, we’re talking the alphabet soup media – ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN/NYT/LAT/WaPo/AP – and Lord knows, we can’t expect THEM to do any digging unless it’s for dirt on a real conservative.

2. camojack says:

I posted the following elsewhere, right after Scott Brown was elected:

“As I understand it, Scott Brown is something of a ‘RINO’, but that’s probably the only type of Republican that could have won this election in a deep ‘blue’ State such as Massachusetts…much like Arnold Schwarzenegger in California.”

FWIW… :-?

3. Marshall Art says:

To be perfectly honest, I had no idea of Brown’s record. But then, not living in Massachusetts, I didn’t much care. All that mattered was that a Republican was going to win the seat deformed by Kennedy’s fat *ss. Camojack is probably correct about Brown being the only kind of Repub that could win there. Hard to say with the overall distaste for recent policy proposals. Here in Illinois, we have our own Brown running for Barry’s old seat, now kept warm by the worthless Roland Burris. Mark Kirk is NOT conservative enough for my tastes and definitely NOT a social conservative. But it is said, mostly by the Party, that he’s the only Republican that can win in this state. When the time comes, I’ll likely have to punch his number because his Dem opponent is a typical Chicago Dem with a shady history.

We’re looking to move as soon as our eigth-grade daughter get through high school.

4. Kate says:

…and then the lame stream media makes the point that he is making conservatives mad. They, in fact, as the ones painting him a turncoat as a goad to the broad base of conservative/independent supporters. In my mind, he’s just like a NY democrat or IL democrat as stated above.

I think the informed among us already knew there would be these kinds of issues with him in the future. As the old adage says, Buyers Beware! The people in MA will have the opportunity to make their feelings known to Scott Brown. I am sure there are many in MA who are for big government and this vote won’t cause them to shrug. There were other reasons they came out and droves and vote for him…that is what the lame stream media needs to understand.

5. NC Cop says:

Moderate? Yeah. Turncoat? No.

Agreed. I never expected a strongly conservative Republican to come from a seat formerly held by a Kennedy. I’m a little disappointed in this vote, but its only one vote.

A bigger concern for me is how $15 billion suddenly doesn’t sound like so much. After listening to Obama throw trillions of dollars around people don’t seem too concerned about $15 billion. Not a good sign for anybody.

The late Senator Ev Dirksen was quoted once as saying, “A million here, a million there, and pretty soon we’re talking about real money.”

Since Duh-1 has come into office, that saying really has been bumped up to “billions” instead of “millions.” There’s something seriously wrong with that, especially in light of the fact our country doesn’t have two pennies to rub together that in fact belong to this country.

7. jbw says:

I agreed Brown was never a conservative. But he might should have waited a bit before sticking in the shiv to supporters. A “jobs” bill that is crafted behind closed doors by Reid, after he trashes an actual bipartisan bill; isn’t the way for Brown to vote for bipartisanship. I think everyone realizes he must vote for MA and it is a blue state. But kicking his most ardent supporters in the proverbial groin; means they won’t be out in the snow knocking on doors next time around. Which means he loses either way.