Latest ObamaCare House vote developments

Posted by: ST on March 21, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I’m back in action at Twitter after having to step away for a few hours. The biggest news, of course, is that Stupak – and along with him several other pro-life Dems – have caved based on the WH’s agreement to write an executive order essentially upholding the Hyde Amendment. There are some grumblings from multiple GOP sources on Twitter that the EO is meaningless and can’t be used to override a bill passed by Congress. I’m sure we’ll find out more about that in the days to come as the debate over reconciliation moves to the Senate.

And speaking of, some GOP Senators are speaking out, saying that Democrats are delaying a meeting with the Senate Parliamentarian for a reason:

WASHINGTON DC – Senate Democrats have balked at a bi-partisan meeting with the Senate Parliamentarian to discuss a rule violation that could doom the entire House reconciliation proposal.

DON STEWART, McCONNELL SPOKESMAN: “Republicans have been trying to set up a meeting with Senate Democrats since yesterday to discuss this fatal point of order but have been met with nothing but silence. We suspect Democrats are slow walking us so as to have the House vote first. Since Senate Democrats refuse to meet with us and the Parliamentarian, we’ve informed our colleagues in the House that we believe the bill they’re now considering violates the clear language of Section 310g of the Congressional Budget Act, and the entire reconciliation bill is subject to a point of order and rejection in the Senate should it pass the House.”

I’m hearing that the actual vote probably won’t happen until sometime after 10 8:30 PM tonight (Eastern time) and that Obama will make a speech after the vote, even if it’s really late.

And tomorrow: The President signs the bill into law?

Lots of talk/debate still going on at the #HCR hashtag. Make sure to check it often. I’ll be around on and off for the next several hours posting there.

9 Responses to “Latest ObamaCare House vote developments”

Comments

These Democrats are so stupid it is laughable!! LOL An executive order in this situation has no authority over Congress. Talk about a seperation of powers issue. As I have told all my friends, if you voted for Obama, you are deceived. This holds true for those who pant after the man as if he were the Messiah. An incredibly sad day for America. – Lorica

2. C.B.Overton says:

To those who wanted change, you’ll get it! Higher taxes, reduced medical care, higher insurance premiums, and a major loss of your freedom We call it socialism!
    Dems will go to no end with “paoli” to get votes – most corrupt administration in my 70 years of life. 90% of people who want Obamacare are those too lazy to work or illegals. WAKE UP AMERICA

3. nina says:

Yep, that executive order is as good as toilet paper.

4. Tex says:

It looks like the Democratic Party finally “jumped the shark” tonight. The health care bill passed. It’s gonna be a massacre in November. The Democratic Party is in the taxing business and right now it looks like “business is a boomin”!

I am in the process of drafting a letter, to be sent to every elected Democrat state official and to my federal reps and senators, telling them I will actively work to make sure they will never have the privilege of abusing the power given to them by the citizens of this state, or of abusing the powers vested in them by the Constitution of the United States.

I will also inform any Republican that if he acts like a Democrat, even a little, I will also work to get him/her out of office, too, thoroughly shamed.

The party of lies and deceit, of death and bribery, of championing lewd behavior and arrogance, does not deserve a seat at any table in the government of this once-great country.

6. Kate says:

Carlos…send a letter to the MSM while you are at it!:x

…without that incredibly cozy arrangement we wouldn’t have such a deceitful cast of characters passing as our elected officials.

I used to be against term limits, but now I say we have missed the boat as this crowd of thugs in Congress are more interested in lifetime vesting and incredibly good perks for themselves rather than the welfare of this country and their constituents.

7. Kate says:

…and I think we should rename Stupack to just plain Bart the backbone-less. He folded like a newspaper printed on recycled stock.

8. Jo says:

Well, it passed, fittingly after dark. So say hello to the official dawning of Socialism and the reduction of quality health care, accessibility and any hopes of costs lowering. But, on the flip side, hey, maybe this means we all get ‘free’ government health care–the mnodern equivalent of 40 acres and a mule! Oh, Happy Days are Here Again!