Tea Party rally in Searchlight, NV draws 8-10 thousand

Posted by: ST on March 27, 2010 at 7:37 pm

The Las Vegas Sun reports:

SEARCHLIGHT — Sarah Palin told thousands of tea party activists gathered in the Nevada desert that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will have to explain his votes when he comes back to his hometown.

The wind whipped U.S. and Alabama flags behind Palin as she stood on the makeshift stage, holding a microphone and her notes as she spoke to the crowd.

Palin says the big government, big debt spending spree of Reid, President Barack Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is over, and “you’re fired.” She told the crowd that Reid is “gambling away our future.”

“Someone needs to tell him, this is not a crapshoot,” Palin said.

She says those protesting the health care overhaul aren’t inciting violence, but says they shouldn’t sit down and shut up.

Palin was the main attraction at the rally about 60 miles south of Las Vegas. It kicks off a 42-city bus tour that ends in Washington on April 15.

Thousands gathered on a dirt lot in Reid’s hometown for what organizers are calling the “Showdown in Searchlight.”

The Tea Party Express had expected between 5,000 and 10,000 people. About 8,000 people were at the event as of 2 p.m., according to an estimate from Metro Police spokesman Jay Rivera. Traffic was backed up about five miles from Searchlight.

Make sure to click that same link for photos and video from the rally.

There are reports that Harry Reid supporters literally egged Tea Party buses en route to Searchlight. Gateway Pundit has more, including news that conservative publisher and icon Andrew Breitbart was attacked and threatened as well.

Last but not least, W. James Antle, III at AmSpec destroys a despicable column by WaPo columnist Colbert King in which King compares Tea Party activists to … racists who shouted down black students attending school for the first time during the desegregation era.

27 Responses to “Tea Party rally in Searchlight, NV draws 8-10 thousand”

Comments

1. Anthony says:

Also, the Tea Party Express announced their endorsement of Chuck DeVore in his race to secure the Republican nomination and bounce Barbara Boxer from office. Fingers crossed he can pull it off.

2. Xrlq says:

I’ve been to Searchlight, so on the first read I processed the heading as “Tea Party Rally in Searchlight, NV Draws 8-10.” Which, for such a puny, Census-designated non-town halfway between noplace and nowhere, seemed about par for the course. I had no idea there were 8-10 thousand people on the planet who had been there ever, let alone at once.

3. I can’t wait to see what happens when the Tea Party holds rallies in support of Tea Party favorite JD Hayworth. Is Sarah going to cross the aisle and attack us Tea Party people? At best, I expect her to say something very lame.

It’s principles over party Sarah! You weren’t McCain’s pick for VP, not even fourth or fifth! He wanted Lieberman!

4. Julie says:

My mom was in Searchlight and said cars were parked along the road 4 miles out in either direction. I can’t wait to see the pictures she took! She swears there were closer to 15 thousand people, though expects the news to report less, if they report at all!

5. LINDA HENNESSEY says:

The Tea Party wants to get rid of the insurance mandate. I have another big government mandate that they should also want to get rid of………….Stop requiring hospitals to TREAT uninsured people.

6. InsideRiverside says:

Chuck DeVore is awesome but sadly RINO Carly Fiorina has more to spend

7. puffpiece says:

I read about Harry Reid supporters attacking the Tea Party bus. Was Sarah Palin on the bus with Andrew? Isn’t Ann Coulter the Keynote speaker? I can imagine how little coverage there will be in the MSM.

8. Tex says:

Sarah Palin sure has become quite a thorn in the side of the Liberals the past several months. They thought they have buried her politically after the Obama election fluke. I hope she makes every one the Liberals lives a living hell. I always enjoy hearing her taunt the Liberals.

9. john in Vegas says:

I attended the Searchlight Rally. At least i tried. I was able to find a parking spot 3 miles away, but realized that by the time I walked the rest of the way that it would be over. I decided to just drive past it instead. It took me 1.5 hrs to go 3miles and see the grounds. What I saw as I drove heartened me. I saw people from all walks of life and all races carrying signs about freedom and liberty and more. I saw families, some with two generations, going to an event, located miles away from anywhere that represented something they believed in. I saw some wearing hats that showed that they were infantry or marines, who easily could have given their lives for the freedoms that we call ours. The highlight of the day is when I saw a large black family walking out of the event. A tall black american dad, pushing a stroller. My jaw dropped when I saw them. He saw my jaw and He spoke to me through my open window and said yes, we are here too! My heart soared! Can you imagine the courage it takes for a black person in America to attend an event that goes against liberalism. What kind of repercussions could he/they experience in their neighborhoods, churches or groups if they were lumped with a radical, anti black, violent, homophobic bunch, as tea party people are often characterized in the media. Upon leaving Searchlight, I passed an ice cream truck all painted up. It said “We Love Our Harry Reid”. There was a big red heart on the truck and some posters. Hundreds of Tea Partiers walked passed the truck. Not one disturbed the delicate signs.

10. Dave B says:

The more they try to intimidate her, the more they try to minimize her in the eyes of the American people, the more they try to make her look stupid, the more she rises to the occasion and turns the tables on them. They’ll never really figure it out. She’s one of us, she’s a leader, makes sense, and loves America. That’s all foreign stuff to them. They’ll keep doing what they’ve been doing and they’ll wonder what happened in November.

11. Linda M says:

I was there and went by bus. There were thousands of people and it was a peaceful event. People were polite to one another because we all have the same fears that we are or have lost America as we knew it. A couple from Illinois who sat behind me said they had to walk 2 miles down the highway to get there. Traffic was unbelievable getting in and out of that town. I think there way more than the number of people reported.

I’m here to report that the 8-10K figure is a little light, because after Saracuda spoke about 1/3 of the people headed back to their 3-5 mile walk to get back to their cars. How do I know? I was there!

The line getting to there from the north (from Vegas) was about 8 miles long at 11:15AM, and when we left (about 12:45) the line from the south was about 5 miles long. And we had to walk give-or-take 3 miles to get to our car. Not bad for an old country boy!

As far as the speech went, it was pretty much the same pap you’ll hear at any rally, with precious little solid meat to gnaw on, but that’s apparently enough for the Sarah lovers at this point. Pretty soon, though, she’s got to get into some specifics (like, what would you do about 10-20M criminal aliens bankrupting every segment of our economy? And just stating that they are doing such isn’t good enough – we need to know what measures you’d take to get them out of this country) so a dialogue on the merits can take place.

Anyway, it was great seeing so many people there, I didn’t see one incident of violence or threatened violence, and, yes, there were some dopey libs sprinkled sparsely through the crowd.

13. Michelle says:

I wonder does anyone how many Tea Party folks are Democrats (ex)? I’m guessing 50 per cent or more. We definitely will not be voting for any Dem-too corrupt, too incompetent, too unConstitutional, too South Side hoodlum. (I’m a former Chicagoan also-cesspool of corruption an understatement).
    To call this a right wing Republican party is not true, it is a mix of all Americans who wish to see the Constitution reaffirmed and respected.

14. Jim McMullen says:

Just a little math:
    CNN (Can Never kNow)) reports that they was only 9,000 people at the Showdown in Searchlight.

5280 = feet in a mile
    Cars were parked on US 95 for 3 miles, on both sides of the highway, in both directions (I was there and had to walk the 3 miles.)
    5280 X 3 X 4 (both sides, both directions) = 63360 ft
    Some cars were parked end to end, but most were angled to the highway – I estimate each car took up (average) about 6 feet of space.

63360 / 6 = 10, 560 cars.

To be fair, the cars were not parked touching each other , so, lets cut that in half:

10560 / 2 = 5,280 cars (really, really conservative estimate)

5,280 (most of the cars I saw had at least 2 people, but many had whole groups or families), but, let’s be fair and say each car had only 2 people in it:

5,280 cars X 2 = 10, 560 people.

Looks like the CNN got it right – oh wait….

We completly forgot about the 20 ACRE parking lot and 3/4 mile of road to the site that was completley packed with cars. And let’s not count the people who came and went to be replaced by more people coming in.

Better estimate of the crowd is from 20,000 to 25,000.

John in Vegas, that was the other thing – although most people I saw were “white”(?), there were a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of people of color there, also. Although the African-American/black/whatever were most obvious, there were also many hispanics, and they were participating, too, not just there to protest, observe or cause trouble.

Saw the ice cream truck, too. My personal thought was that, although they were completely out of place, the tea partiers more than welcomed their participation because that’s one of the things this whole movement is about.

I also got the feeling that, had they not been out-numbered maybe 1000 or more to one, they may have been more willing to confront physically, so I was happy they just were noisy.

And Pasadena Phil, Sarah’s a politician, so she “has” to cross lines. That’s one reason (but only one of a few) I don’t get real excited about her. If she walked the walk completely, then maybe, but sometimes she gimps with her actions. Loyalty can only go so far when your talking about an ethical compass.

16. Katherine Boyle says:

My husband and I are 100% for this movement.We were not impressed with C Span’s Coverage. It was obvious they didnt want to turn the cameras around to show all the people that had traveled there to make a statement. I guess they had to film the rally, but I dont think they really wanted to give an accurate or true picture of the amount of people there.

17. jann says:

God I feel like I’m living in the 50s talking about race as much as these liberals do. I just can’t believe anyone in their right mind believes their hipe that all the white people hate everybody else that isn’t. Jeez laweez are we being punk’d? Do the liberals and their media not know the T partier’s are the American people? They talk like lizards crawled out of the sewer and started this movement. It cracks me up that the Congress doesn’t think we will react to what they are doing to us. I thought the best thing about Searchlight was the sky writers, that was awesome!! Private citizen Sarah Palin must of felt pretty special when she saw that! This is such a MUST read commieblasters.com !!!

18. I was there, too. Carlos and Jim McMullen both gave reports I agree with. There were also quite a few of us who came by bus (32 on ours). We were dropped off at the road to the event, so we didn’t even count in Jim’s estimates.

There were probably something over 10,000 people there when Sarah spoke. A good many left at that time, so the number of bodies in attendance may have dipped below that number. But as people left more came in, and at the end of the day (we left at 2:30 but it wasn’t over yet) there seemed to still be at least 8,000 or so there, and latecomers were still entering.

19. LindaDinNevada says:

Jim McMullen, I totally agree with your estimate. Absolutely 20-30K IMO. I was there and the crowd was so massive, crowding as close as possible to the stage to try to hear the speeches. The sound system was inadequate to overcome all that wind, the noise of the crowd, the hovering news helicopters, etc. It was pure awesomeness!
    I parked on the highway just about 1/2 mile from the entrance; and, I’m thankful I was that close. I’d guess it was about 10:30 when I walked thru the gate in the chainlink fence — hundreds (thousands) of people came after me. I thought they’d never stop walking in, even after 1:00 or 2:00. As hard as it was to get into it, it was even more difficult getting out. And, the drive back to 93/95/315 took FOREVER!

I saw older people, younger people, children, veterans, biker-types, very casual and the very proper. Tremendous mixture of signs, too. Many about dumping Harry Reid, about repealing HCR, defeating Pelosi, etc., but many also about getting the over-bloated government out of our lives. What an incredible experience, truly.

20. Thanks to all who have weighed in with what they saw at Searchlight. Wish I coulda been there! :) And Dave, thanks for the link!

21. My buddy, Jeff of Parrothead Jeff and Friends, was there. He got some good pictures of the event. The highway from Vegas was backed up most of the day. And CNN said dozens, yeah, dozens were there. Should have seen the aerial views.

He has the shots. Go check them out.

22. Kevin says:

I am jealous of all those in attendance. I only wish I could have been there. Government, county, state and federal must be reigned in. And soon. :((