White powdery substance sent to AZ Gov. Brewer’s office

Posted by: ST on May 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Via the AZ Republic:

The FBI will assist in the investigation of a suspicious envelope addressed to Gov. Jan Brewer that an employee at the Capitol opened Tuesday, sending the Executive Tower into one-hour lockdown after a white powder spilled from the envelope onto a computer.

Phoenix Fire Department hazardous materials experts spent less than one hour in the building. No injuries or complaints of illness were reported and the tower was reopened around 11:20 a.m.

The letter was opened in the governor’s constituency services office in the tower at 1700 W. Washington St.

The powder is being analyzed at a state Health Department lab. The results of the tests should be released Wednesday.

Caleb Howe has more:

[Capitol Police] Chief Staubitz believes during that thirty minutes the employee who opened the package was likely checked out by paramedics who responded to the call, but he does not believe she required any further medical attention.

The results of the lab analysis are expected in less than 24 hours, and the Capitol Police will be issuing a statement at that time. The police will be working with the FBI in investigating the incident.

In related news, the Phoenix Suns have officially jumped on the anti-immigration bill bandwagon:

PHOENIX — The Phoenix Suns will wear “Los Suns” on their jerseys in Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals on Wednesday night, owner Robert Sarver said, “to honor our Latino community and the diversity of our league, the state of Arizona, and our nation.”

The decision to wear the jerseys on the Cinco de Mayo holiday stems from a law passed by the Arizona Legislature and signed by Gov. Jan Brewer that has drawn widespread criticism from Latino organizations and civil rights groups that say it could lead to racial profiling of Hispanics. President Barack Obama has called the law “misguided.”

Sarver, who was born and raised in Tucson, said frustration with the federal government’s failure to deal with the illegal immigration issue led to the passage of what he called “a flawed state law.”

“However intended, the result of passing the law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question,” he said, “and Arizona’s already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them.”

The measure makes it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally, and it directs local police to question people about their immigration status and demand to see their documents if there is reason to suspect they are illegal.

The controversy surrounding the law has led to picketing at some road games of baseball’s Arizona Diamondbacks and a call from the Rev. Jesse Jackson for major league baseball to move next year’s All-Star Game from Phoenix.

More thoughts from a few “Los Sons” powerhouses, including my beloved Steve Nash:

Ultimately, the decision was left up to the players, but in a locker room led by Steve Nash, it is no surprise how that turned out.

“I think the law is very misguided. I think it is unfortunately to the detriment of our society and our civil liberties and I think it is very important for us to stand up for things we believe in,” Nash said of the bill. “I think the law obviously can target opportunities for racial profiling. Things we don’t want to see and don’t need to see in 2010.”

Amare Stoudemire and Alvin Gentry also expressed their support for the decision with more of a focus on supporting their neighbors. “It’s going to be great to wear Los Suns to let the Latin community know we’re behind them 100%,” Stoudemire said.

Sigh. 8-|

And don’t forget, those “Los Suns” jerseys aren’t the only think immigration law proponents have to look forward to on Cinco de Mayo …

Fellow Tweeter ExUrban Jon is on a tear:

.@PhoenixSuns I agree with you that Arizonans are stupid. Maybe someday we’ll be as smart as athletes. Or Shakira!

Wanna let the Suns know how you feel? Tweet it here or write them here.

• Rhymes With Right trackbacked with Rooting Against Phoenix LosErs...
  • 15 Responses to “White powdery substance sent to AZ Gov. Brewer’s office”

Comments

1. From MSNBC just a few days ago, Arizona law makes illegal immigration a crime- talk about a sigh inducing headline.

2. I have really mixed feelings about the law, do you have an opinion you would care to share?

3. NC Cop says:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this law. I have voiced my concern about this making illegals fearful to call law enforcement if they are victims of crimes and I think the state should have come out and added that if you are the victim of a crime you will NOT be asked about your immigration status. However, is you are a perpetrator, whether its speeding or robbery and it is discovered that you are illegal, you’re gone.

I think it is amusing how completely hysterical the left has gotten, especially since none of them have gotten the law right yet. Sneaking across the border is ILLEGAL, its just that simple folks.

I’m also sick of hearing from people about “civil rights” and “human rights” considering Mexico deports more people than the U.S. does and their immigration laws are more strict than ours. Where is the outrage about that?

The left has become nothing but a band of hysterical, ignorant, clueless, propaganda artists, who have no problem with violence against their fellow Americans that they disagree with. Absolutely shameful what they have become.

4. Mwalimu Daudi says:

This is why I have given up following professional sports of any kind – baseball, football. I never cared for basketball, so this does not affect me.

It says something about the lack of character that no one on the Suns had the courage to stand up to Nash and tell him to lay off the race-baiting.

5. Smitteh says:

Thanks for the link to the Suns so I could tell them my family and I will no longer support them. Leave politics for the politicians and provide entertainment. When your players choose to make unwise and uninformed comments on politically charged issues, they risk alienating 50% or more of their fanbase. Nash in my book is now a moron. “SHUT UP AND PLAY!”

6. Don’t forget, Steve Nash is Canadian so that makes this even more interesting, does it not?

I wonder how excited they would be to support the protests if it was their jobs, not construction or manufacturing or whatever, that were being stolen by the criminal aliens (abetted by the criminal employers) while the replacement criminals were being paid 1/2 or less of what the superstud pros are now making?

Just a thought to put it into perspective for them. I know, and they know, there’s no danger of them losing their jobs to the criminals, so it’s easy for them to support the criminal thieves.

8. If I were in another country illegally, I would expect to be questioned by the authorities whose job it is to secure that country’s borders and enforce the laws of that country. President Obama could quell this whole situation by doing his job preserving, protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States.

9. Reply To NC Cop Comment says:

I don’t know, NC Cop. It seems the illegals quickly learn how to turn anything to their advantage. How long before they start staging fake crimes — oh, the perp just didn’t get caught.

I think it would be more effective if they were afraid to call the police — perhaps without the police to protect them they would be a little faster to consider self-deportation.

10. Joe says:

The white powder sent to Governor Brewer’s office was probably from a tea party member. Just to make Contessa Brewer feel better.

As for “Los Suns”, maybe the Boston Celtics should wear groom outfits to show support for marriage as defined as between one man and one woman. But no, that’s not politically correct. The sports world, like Hollywood, the news media, and academia, now is dominated by liberals. My opinion of Steve Nash just sank. Steve, you’re entitled to your opinion, but, to paraphrase a former Sun, you’re not paid to be an activist. You’re paid to “wreak havoc” on the court. Keep your opinions off the court and show some consideration for your fans who don’t share your opinion.

11. Kate says:

The root cause is the corrupt and lawless country of Mexico. I know personally that there are human rights issues in many parts of Mexico directed at evangelical Christians. Homes have been destroyed and people prevented from working by local governments and unfortunately the Roman Catholic Church in small towns. Friends from my church have been helpin rebuild homes in Santa Domingo that were destroyed because they would not pay into a corrupt community fund that sponserd a religious holiday that turns into a drunken party. This happened about five years ago and we have been helping them rebuild their homes, church and community center. I don’t hear anything from the media. This is one reason why some folks from Mexico risk their lives to get here.

12. Army Mom says:

It would be funny in Los Suns found none of their usual fans in their seats. As a matter of fact, if I had tickets to Suns games, I would speak loud and clear about MY opinion by not going to any games where they wear Los Suns jerseys. When the Suns management figures out how their players opinions (which by the way have no place out on the court) affect their bottomline, management will put a stop to it. This is just like the Dixie Chicks….the Suns should shut up and just play basketball. If the players want to voice their opinion outside of the organization they can do so just not on the court. They are paid to play basketball and not to make political statements which will drive away fans. Besides, Steve Nash is Canadian…who cares what he thinks about American laws or politics.

13. NC Cop says:

Yeah, I do see your point. The only thing is that there would be cetain elements that would prey on them for that very fact. I do not think illegals should be given a pass, but I don’t think they should be terrorized by thugs and criminals.