NC2 Watch: Bob Etheridge apologizes; GOP opponent Renee Ellmers responds

Posted by: ST on June 14, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Real Clear Politics has the video of the Rep. Bob Etheridge (D-NC2) presser where he apologized for manhandling two young men who approached him with questions after a fundraiser headlined by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi last week.

Here’s his official statement:

“I have seen the video posted on several blogs. I deeply and profoundly regret my reaction and I apologize to all involved. Throughout my many years of service to the people of North Carolina, I have always tried to treat people from all viewpoints with respect. No matter how intrusive and partisan our politics can become, this does not justify a poor response. I have and I will always work to promote a civil public discourse.”

The Raleigh News and Observer reports that WH spoxdude Robert Fibbs weighed in and had nothing but praise for Etheridge who he used to work for:

Gibbs’ e-mailed response: “I’ve known Bob Etheridge for more than a thirteen years and I am proud to have worked for him. He is one of the most honorable people I know. Everyone makes mistakes, and I’m proud of Bob for taking responsibility and apologizing for his.”

Wow, Fibbsie’s endorsement is not exactly one I would want to have in the current anti-Obama climate. Maybe Renee Ellmers, Etheridge’s GOP opponent in the NC-02 race this fall, will use it as a fundraising tool ;) Here’s what she had to say about the altercation:

If a teacher or principal treated a student this way – it would raise serious questions and he would be suspended. This kind of behavior is equally unacceptable in a Congressman. Bob Etheridge needs to make a full, complete and candid public explanation for this behavior. His describing his behavior as “a poor response” is not adequate. Most important of all, Congressman Etheridge should apologize – in person – to the two students.

She had more to say on the incident during an interview she did with Hot Air’s Ed Morrissey, which you can listen to here. She also did an interview with Stage Right, which you can listen to here.

The whole incident was just bizarre. Don’t know who the guys were, and I don’t think it really matters. After watching both videos (and the raw, unedited footage here), it’s clear that Etheridge was way out of line, and for what reason? Someone asking him if he supported the Obama agenda? It just doesn’t make sense, and BE is right – having a “long day” doesn’t excuse the behavior.

Maybe having to make excuses for, well, supporting the Obama agenda has just become too much for the Congressman?

11 Responses to “NC2 Watch: Bob Etheridge apologizes; GOP opponent Renee Ellmers responds”

Comments

1. Anthony says:

Like I said, the poor baby needs a time-out.

At least he apologized, but his district’s voters still should fire him.

2. rrpjr says:

There’s so much fear, confusion and rage in the democrat party right now I’m surprised we haven’t seen more of this. Let’s not Pete Stark threatening to throw a reporter out of a window and to urinate on a constituent’s leg. I expect we’ll see more. Sometimes the worst thing that can happen is to get what you wish for — the democrats got power but didn’t reckon with their fundamentally adolescent incapacity for frustration and critique. Having really no other game but attack and hate, no good, fresh or practicable ideas on how to govern, nothing but more of the same failed dogma recycled and jammed down people’s throats, now that the people are rejecting them, really, what else can they do but lash out?

3. proof says:

I think the reason the congressman was so insistent on knowing who they were, so that he could alter his response depending on who he though the audience would be. One answer for libs and Democrats, another for Republicans and conservatives.

4. Vince says:

….and what would the MSM’s reaction have been if little Sarah Palin had b!tched slapped the kid???? Just asking.

5. Earle Wright says:

I guess I wouldn’t be much of an interviewer. If that pompous bastard had grabbed my arm, I’d have done everything in my power to permanently disable him. I’m 62 with a sore shoulder, but I still think I could have him begging for his life in under 30 seconds. I’d leave with a testicle, an eyeball, a few teeth, or a thorax as souvenirs. Come to think of it, taking BOTH eyeballs would be more appropriate. Then it would make sense for him to keep repeating, “Who are you?” “Who are you?” “Who are you?” “Who are you?” “Who are you?” Damned socialist.

6. PJ says:

Hey Vince, Sarah has more class in her little finger then “Bobby pickled gills” will ever have. I don’t believe you will ever see her bitch slap anyone. If so, get in line!
    FYI Ali Bama wants a race war. Let’s not give it to him.

7. Tom Knowles says:

Maybe it was just the NC accent, but it sounded to me like the Congressman was coming down from a three-martini lunch and headed toward hangover country. My question is, why, when someone in the DCPD must have seen this evidence of felonious assault on video, has the Congressman not been arrested and charged? Any average person who did what he did would be in jail or under bail right now.

8. unseen says:

which part of the law on assault and battery do people not understand. Etheridge committed a felony. he should be arrested and tried in a court of law. the kids should file a civil suit against him. We are either a nation of laws where no one is above the law or we are a ntion lead by thugs. come Nov I will be casting my vote for renee ellmers with joy in my heart.

Just so people understand the law:

All Topics > Criminal Law > Assault and Battery >
    ——————————————————————————–
    Assault and Battery DC
    Assault and battery can be prosecuted as either a misdemeanor or a felony – depending upon the nature and seriousness of the injuries. Assault is the threat of violence upon another person. A person need not be injured to be the victim of an assault. Words alone do not constitute an assault. Not even fighting words.

Assault and battery is the combination of two violent crimes: assault (the threat of violence) and battery (physical violence). This legal distinction exists only in jurisdictions that distinguish assault as threatened violence rather than actual violence.

9. puffpiece says:

Bob Etheridge should be charged with assault and Nancy Pelosi should demand an investigation. Renee Ellmers really needs to use this in ads to show that this man is unbalanced.

10. Kate says:

Don’t hold your breath waiting for charges to be filed in DC…another congressional perk.

It never ceases to amaze me how the leftie trolls are trying to blame the kids with cameras, when they love Michael Moore and his ilk~

11. david foster says:

I’m increasingly reminded of the behavior of aristocrats in the olden days, who could (a) have people they didn’t like thrown in jail, just by writing a letter to the authorities (French style) and/or (b)hire bullies to beat up people of lower class of whom they disapproved (British style)