I support Rep. Joe Barton!

Posted by: ST on June 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) is taking major fire from the demagoguing left and, sadly, the right, over remarks he made to BP earlier today regarding the $20 billion dollar “deal” that was struck w/ the WH:

Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) is under fire from the White House and the Beltway media for his statement to BP today: “I’m only speaking for myself. I’m not speaking for anyone else, but I apologize. I do not want to live in a county where anytime a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong, [it is] subject to some sort of political pressure that, again, in my words, amounts to a shakedown.”

Barton should have been apologizing to the American people, not BP, but other than that he is 100% correct. What happened in the White House yesterday was a “shakedown” of Godfather-like proportions. Lets review:

Make sure to read the whole thing.

It’s despicable how not only Democrats like Nancy Pelosi are outright lying about what Barton (and, in fact, other GOPers have said/did on the “shakedown” issue (“Americans are suffering in the Gulf while Republicans apologize to Big Oil. We need clean energy now,” but also how House Republican “leaders” responded after the slams from the WH and Democrat “leaders”:

Rep. Joe Barton, R-Tex., was ordered by the top House leadership to retract his apology to BP and to apologize for making the statement in the first place or risk losing his position on a powerful House committee.

A GOP leadership aide tells The Washington Examiner that House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio and Rep. and Minority Whip Eric Cantor, R-Va., met with Barton this afternoon and warned him, “Apologize immediately or you will lose your position, immediately.”

[...]

But the damage may be done. The GOP rank-and-file are quite angry over the comment and some are calling for him to lose his position as ranking member on the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

“Now that he has apologized we’ll see what happens going forward,” the aide said.

I can tell this “aide” what will happen going forward, at least as far as many conservative voters are concerned. They will continue contributing money to individual candidates rather than giving any to the NRCC precisely because of BS like this. Here you have a Republican Congressman standing on principle regarding what the WH is trying to do to BP, and as soon as the Democrats start wailing about “this just proves the GOP are in the pockets of Big Oil” they retreat and go into “crisis” mode when really they should be standing by his side. This is nothing more than throwing one of your own under the bus in the interest of political expediency … something Barack Obama normally does, but something we should not.

Don’t they ever learn?

BTW, here’s was Barton’s apology – which was actually more of a “I’m sorry my comments were minsconstrued” than an actual “retraction”:

By midafternoon, Barton was back on the dais with a statement that was something short of what the leaders had demanded.

“I want the record to be absolutely clear that I think BP is responsible for this accident,” he said. “If anything I said this morning has been misconstrued, in opposite effect, I want to apologize for that misconstruction.”

Barton then issued, and Boehner’s office forwarded out a somewhat different written statement.

“I apologize for using the term ‘shakedown’ with regard to yesterday’s actions at the White House this morning, and I retract my apology to BP,” it began, and finished: “I regret the impact that my statement this morning implied that BP should not pay for the consequences of their decisions and actions in this incident.”

Want to show Barton, who is up for re-election in Texas’ 6th district, your support? Click here and/or here.

29 Responses to “I support Rep. Joe Barton!”

Comments

1. Tex says:

I’m personally sick and tired of these dog and pony shows these pathetic Congressmen put on for the media like the one they’ve been doing the past few days with BP in an effort to deflect any culpability from themselves for this mess. Sure BP is responsible. But so are many of these Congressmen, especially the Democrats, for overriding Louisiana’s permits to drill in 500 feet of water closer to shore where they have experience and forcing BP to go out to 5000 foot depths farther offshore where they don’t have as much experience to placate the Leftist Greenies.

As an American, it’s an embarrassment for me to see these clueless morons acting like a bunch of drama queens as they line up to stone BP’s CEO in what almost amounts to a show trial the Chinese government would be proud of. Disgusting!

2. david foster says:

Of course it is a shakedown, and one that bodes ill for the future of American democracy. See my post oil: the new tobacco.

3. SteveP says:

Barton’s right-it IS a shakedown. Obama and his henchmen are thugs with no respect for the rule of law or common decency.
    The GOP is still lead by the same feckless cowards that paved the way for rule by the Obamunists.

4. linda says:

I support Joe Barton. The hearings are a disgrace. We need to focus on cleaning up the spill. BP will pay dearly. I am surprised that they didn’t have Tony Hayward in the stocks.

5. NC Cop says:

Barton was right and the dems went through the roof because they didn’t think anyone would tell the TRUTH!!

The Republicans who trashed Barton should be ashamed of themselves. You can bash Al Capone’s Obama’s shakedown without taking the side of big oil. Namely, demand to know what authority Obama is using to “handle” the claims that are filed through BP.

The Reupbs didn’t help themselves on this one.

6. Zippy says:

It was a shakedown, plain and simple.

7. mike191 says:

For all those Americans who own stock in BP,California teachers’ union ,for one,you had Waxman as the chief inquisitor followed by his stooges ,making sure your investments are now a slush fund for Presuident44.To the one honest Senator from Texas,thankyou.To the rest, the elections of 2010 are near.

8. John says:

EPIC Shakedown…when in the history of this country has a private corp. been strong armed into the WH and then strong armed by the WH?

What other explanation could there be? Obama has no solutions to anything, just allocate and spend…allocate and spend and it is always someone else’s money….this time British pensioners.

9. Betty Ann says:

Me too, I support Joe Barton.

But then I supported Wilson when he said, “You lie.”

And I supported Bunning when he held up the unemployment extension.

I love Gov. Christie, am impressed with Gov. Brewer and respect former Gov. Palin.

I don’t think I’m actually a Republican.

10. Short-hand definition of shakedown: Threatening extra-legal punishment, then demanding payment to avoid the punishment. Substitute DOJ & restitution fund for rock thru the window and weekly skim. Same deal.

So, what’s NOT a shakedown about the Obama/Holder approach?

LINK
    [For a light hearted take on our present peril]

11. Pasadena Phil says:

Once again, the spineless GOP leadership embarrasses itself. The country is being stolen by Marxists and they are more worried about good manners.

If the current GOP leadership survives the November elections, it is hopeless for conservatives within this party and we will have to make a strong push for a new 2nd party.

12. tailgunner says:

Barton was right and he’ll be proven right in the very near future.

Once Democrats get their hands on a pile of money they either stash it in a freezer somewhere or blow it on their cronies.

Bart Stupak is already talking about the possibility of covering healthcare for ‘Gulf residents’ who’ve ‘lost their jobs and their health insurance’.

..As the vultures start circling…

Boehner threw a courageous GOP member under the bus for the benefit of lying Democratic hacks.

This is how Obama got elected and it’s going to be the way Democrats continue their dictatorship in November if the GOP doesn’t stop diplomacy and start fighting.

13. Dave B says:

Phil: couldn’t agree with you more. They’re worried about good manners when the Executive Branch is pissing on the Constitution, Congress, and the Gulf Coast taxpayers? Who are they worried about offending? The Democrats who snub their noses as their own constituents? The Democrats that assault taxpayers that ask them a simple question and are allowed to continue on unscathed by their party? The Democrats that act more like a Russian Politburo than an investigative/legislative body?

14. Teresa says:

Thank You Joe!!!! You got it right, stand up for what you believe and we will support you.

15. PE says:

He told a pack of orangutans to stop eating fermented fruit. Of course they’re angry.

16. Zippy says:

Nailed it John, Betty Ann, Pasadena Ph and Dave.

17. taxmaiden says:

Thank you, Sister! I can’t believe the other Republicans haven’t supported this. Don’t they realize that this sets a precedent??? Basically by demanding BP not pay any dividends for the rest of the year and shaking them down for $20B, the government has basically taken over this company. What’s next? The next time a plane crashes, will they take over the airline? Train crashes, take over the railroad? The government already runs 70% of the economy, this has GOT TO STOP!!!

18. Tass says:

Of course it’s a shakedown. I heard a news clip the other day that said (sorry, don’t know who to ‘attribute’ this to)…

‘BP will pay to restore the LA coast to before Katrina conditions.’

Granted, scuttlebutt in the O&G field is that BP was cutting serious corners, but now BP is on the hook for a hurricane?!?!

19. Austin says:

How dare Congressman Barton speak the Truth in such plain spoken language.

20. Jim Grier says:

I fully support Joe Barton and his comments (the first time).

I wouldn’t trust anyone, even God himself, if appointed by Duh-1 to “administer” those funds.

Everyone (including Barton) has been right – it was a major-league shakedown.

And everyone’s been right – the Republican “leadership” is a pile of spineless barnyard poop that has trouble getting out of its own way when rushing to apologize for one of their party telling the truth.

22. Alex says:

Why does he need to apologize to the American Public? He has no need to apologize to America, for he did not make a statement to offend or hurt. He spoke from his heart and his point was correct. But like every other politician, he is looking out for himself so he retracted his statement. He should have shown himself strong and maintained his position. I agree with his early position, not his retraction.
    Furthermore, the American public needs to be honest. No one spends top dollars when one can spend less to get something. The CEO of BP is not a technical person, he is a business man, and he is operating from that perspective. America is built on what happened to BP, the risks of doing anything.

23. Carol says:

This certainly was a shakedown. Government is taking over every aspect of our lives and we’d better get to the polls and speak up! You can bet the 20B will never be accounted for. I don’t believe the government can do a better job of spending our money than we and the companies we invest in, can.

24. I agree and totally support Barton for calling a shakedown, a shakedown. Boehner, Cantor, and Pence are a bunch of gutless wonders, and I said as such on my blog.

We have a bunch of cowards in leadership in the GOP and those guys should be ashamed! I’m so disgusted withthese fools!

The Last Tradition

Next time you get a “survey” (in fact, a beg for money) from the RNC, write (preferably in a big, red Sharpie) that you’ll contribute again to the national as soon as they start representing Republicans again. This is a classic example of them lap-dogging for the jackasses.

An individual response won’t get a reaction from them, but if they got a million or more of them back even they should be smart enough to figure out that 1) maybe they should start paying attention to us “small people” (as the chairman of BP likes to call us commoners), and 2) it’s awfully expensive to get responses back like that without getting contributions to cover them, even at the postal rates they get (compliments of you and me and our wallets). Maybe they should do something different, like represent Republicans and American interests, like freedom and the rule of law?

26. puffpiece says:

The only part of Barton’s comments I didn’t like was the “apology” part. It was a white house shakedown but why ruin the point by telling Hayward BP exec’s were owed a big apology? He should have left the theatrical apology out.

As far as the Congressional Committee witch hunts go I always hate them. Congress needs to own their mistakes and congressional oversight failure. That was where they needed to start.

27. Cheryl Oliver says:

Mr. Burton: THANK YOU for pointing out that the EMPEROR has no clothes on.
    California