Unarmed & vulnerable: School board shooting in FL could have been much worse

Posted by: ST on December 15, 2010 at 11:34 am

I know I’m not the only one this morning who has read and watched in shock and amazement about the shooting that took place yesterday afternoon during a Panama City school board meeting in which the husband of a fired (former) school employee opened fire on school board members, missing his targets before being shot himself by a security chief – before killing himself.  Mike Jones, the school district’s chief of safety, is rightly being hailed as a hero but if it weren’t for bad aim on the part of the shooter, Clay Duke, the outcome could have been much much worse.  The video tells the story.

One of the most interesting stories to emerge from what happened yesterday is that of the female school board member who Clay Duke excused from the room initially, who later came back and tried to divert Duke with her pocketbook.  She was unsuccessful – and could have been killed – but he spared her life:

After a man pulled a gun at a Florida school board meeting Tuesday, one of the board members had a chance to escape. But instead of fleeing, Ginger Littleton said she thought of her fellow board members, turned back and put her life on the line, attacking the gunman with her purse.

“I had the choice of leaving,” Littleton told “Good Morning America” today. “When I turned back around he was up on the level with my guys and they were all sitting there lined up like ducks in a pond … completely defenseless.

“So I could either walk away, thinking something bad was going to happen and try to live with myself, or I could try to do something to divert or delay. So my bag was what I had and so that’s what I did,” Littleton said.

In a video that was recording the board meeting, Littleton is seen sneaking up behind the gunman, later identified as 56-year-old Clay Duke, before smacking his arm with her purse. Duke overpowered Littleton but let her go again.

God bless this brave woman for her courage, and thank God no one was seriously hurt, but it needs to be stated (and I’m sure I’m not the only one who has mentioned this) that had someone at that board meeting been armed to begin with, Duke probably wouldn’t have been able to fire off the first shot.  From the reports I’ve read, nothing has been mentioned about anyone outside of Jones (and Duke, of course) being armed.   Had security been better at the meeting facility (not sure if it was a government building or not?) perhaps Duke would not have even gotten in – or maybe in the state of mind he was in he would have shot his way in? Who knows? I just know that being armed is the best defense in situations like that. It can’t be said enough that had Duke’s aim been better, he wouldn’t have been the only casualty as a result of the hostage situation he put the school board members in.

As a side note, Duke’s Facebook page ranted against “rich” Republicans and Democrats, so no worries that the “unbiased” mainstream media will try to get a glimpse of his bookshelf to find out whether or not he was an avid reader of Glenn Beck’s or Sean Hannity’s ….

Just sayin’.

8 Responses to “Unarmed & vulnerable: School board shooting in FL could have been much worse”

Comments

Just one more case of a coward choosing a “gun-free” zone to help in his/her attack.

Amazing how often that happens, isn’t it?

Just sayin’. For all those “Kumbaya” folks out there.

2. Rorschach says:

I suspect he was not really there to harm anyone, he was hoping for a “suicide by cop” scenario. In the video you can see him firing into the wall and then the floor. It seems obvious to me that he had no real intention of shooting anyone, just to make people think he did so that someone would come and shoot him instead. The report I saw this morning says that the district has been unable to identify who his wife was or if she had ever actually worked for the district. I am beginning to suspect that too was a ruse.

That said, i agree with you, had this not been a “gun free zone” then there was at least a decent chance someone in the audience or on the board would have been in a position to stop him.

3. msspurlock says:

Media Matters, MSNBC, Hollywood, DailyKos…they created this guy and all the left-wing nutjobs like him.

4. Miranda says:

It’s truly a miracle that no one else was hurt. I’m sure Mr. Husfelt and Ms. Littleton thought it was going to end for them, too. I can’t imagine the horror they must have gone through, but thankfully, they were not harmed. As Husfelt said, “God blocked the bullet.”

5. Robery Clay says:

Had security been better at the meeting facility (not sure if it was a government building or not?) perhaps Duke would not have even gotten in – or maybe in the state of mind he was in he would have shot his way in?”

Uh…. Haven’t you been hacking on the TSA for going overboard on “better security”? I’ve also noticed you like to focus on the officers ordered to carry out the policy and not the actual people who are responsible for creating TSA policy.

WTF?

And Husfelt said that on school grounds? Someone better sue him for that statement! Can’t have our kids subjected to a relatively reasonable (under the circumstances) mixture of innocuous church and state now, can we?

7. daveinboca says:

The dude actually was screaming at the school board for lowering taxes [??] which got his wife riffed. That part was cut from the sound track because it sounded like too many Dem congresscritters.

Why is it that the lefty loons always rave and whine about right-wing violence when it’s the union thugs that beat up black people, the Lee Harvey Oswald Commie dupes that killed JFK, and now this Duke dude killed himself after linking to the Soros-financed ultra-left class warfare blogs?

I can’t remember the name of the young black conservative beaten by thugs in St. Louis or the conservative who had his pinkie bitten off by SEIU Brown Shirts, but it sure reminds me of the Nazi style of socialism, not that gentle Michael Foote Ban the Bomb sugar-pie types the Mods/Rockers were tussling about…!

It’s the socialist class warfare loons like Nadler the Hut and Congressboy Weiner who whine about class injustice, while dodos like Duke take them seriously.

8. Jo says:

First, Robert, if the TSA wants to pat down all the Muslim’s as well as 85 year old grannies and four year old’s I have no personal problem with them groping me.

Second, Sister are you suggesting we be ALLOWED to be armed? Why, the left would go apoplectic at that mere thought. And we are most vulnerable in church. Think about it. Who brings a gun to church?