In which I question Oprah’s intelligence

Posted by: ST on December 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Oh my word. Check out these snippets from an interview Oprah Winfrey did with Parade magazine, which will appear in newspapers this coming Sunday. First, Oprah talks about Sarah Palin:

On Sarah Palin:
“I don’t know her so I can’t speak to [whether or not she’ll be a candidate]. But I would say that America’s going to fall in love with her from [her reality series, Sarah Palin’s Alaska]. When I saw that first episode, I went, ‘Whoa! She is charming and very likable.'”

Asked whether the thought of Palin’s running for office scares her, Oprah said: “It does not scare me because I believe in the intelligence of the American public.”

A clear cheap shot if there was one. But, in light of those remarks, the next ones are a real head-scratcher:

Can I ask about President Obama? Are you concerned, disappointed?
No. I think that no one understands until you’ve been in that seat the enormous pressure to please and satisfy everybody. And I think instead of being grateful for where we are and what he has done, we’ve forgotten that we were on the brink of a depression when he took over this office. And as everybody celebrates the holiday season and sits around with their families, regardless of your circumstance, we could’ve had breadlines. How soon we forget that.

And you would support him again?
Absolutely.

Um, she believes in the “intelligence of the American people” even though a majority (with her help) elected a man with one of the thinnest resumes in Presidential history, who has proven over and over again how he’s not even close to being up to the task of actually leading it? She still supports this guy, is still making excuses for him after two years of epic failure on the most important domestic issue facing Americans today – the economy and unemployment? So, like assuming for purposes of discussion that Sarah Palin was the GOP nominee running against President Obama and the election were this year, Oprah would likely pull out all the big guns to try to help get Obama elected to another term – in spite of the fact “her guy” demonstrates daily that he along with his his trusty sidekick Vice President Gaffetastic are like the blind leading the blind upstream without a paddle and all that?

Heck – forget about worrying about the intelligence of the American people. What I’m wondering is where the heck is HER intelligence? I mean, I know she’s a liberal and all but even liberals are waking up to the reality that the country would be a lot better off if President Obama were still the junior Senator from Illinois rather than the “leader of the free world.” And regardless of what you think about Sarah Palin, surely she could do no worse than our pseudo-intellectual celebrity President.

Help me out here, please … :-\

16 Responses to “In which I question Oprah’s intelligence”

Comments

1. Keith Arnold says:

She believes is the intelligence of the American public? That certainly explains the deep, intellectual interviews and the mentally satisfying content of her daytime television show. It’s not like her show is on a par with the rest of the cotton candy of daytime talk.

Oh, wait.

The marketing strategy of her show is proof that she wholeheartedly believes in that famous Mencken quote: “No one has ever gone broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.” Her wealth proves that’s true.

2. Rune says:

Might I add that the true unemployment rate is quite high enough – and we will never see breadlines, Oprah. Now we have welfare & foodstamps, genius.

3. RSweeney says:

I suspect the deciding issue for Oprah was the color of Obama’s skin, not the content of his character.

4. Phineas says:

She plays the same scam the administration does: argue the counterfactual. In other words, “things would be worse if he hadn’t done what he did.” Which of course, is impossible to prove or disprove.

Help me out here, please …

It’s simple: she’s Black.

Now, before someone calls me a racist, consider: African-Americans regularly bloc-vote for Democrats, regardless of self-interest, something on the order of 85-90% in every election. It would be very difficult to turn against a Democrat president. (Anyone recall how they stuck with Clinton? I have no data at hand.) Add to that the fact that he is “one of our own” and the first African-American to win the office –with all the historical and emotional implications that carries– and I have a hard time imagining her ever turning against him. It is the rare Black conservative (such as Allen West or Tim Scott) who can step outside the framework to see things in a color-blind, objective fashion.

5. ShyAsrai says:

meh. when oprah ‘redistributes’ every penny of her more than billions-dollar-wealth, and lives on a modest salary, then i’ll give her some credibility.

for her to support this ‘redistributionist’ president whilst keeping all the money she’s earned is pure hypocrisy.

but then, we all know that according to the Left, ‘some are more equal than others’, don’t we?

6. Severian says:

Uuuuh, I’ve seen Oprah’s guests and audience on a few occasions…intelligent is not the first adjective that comes to mind.

She’s a liberal. Therefore, no matter how “intelligent” she or any of her guests are or aren’t, she has no common sense. It’s amazing she’s built the fortune she has, but it has been on the backs of other vapid intellects.

End of story.

8. thomas mc donnell says:

i’m thinking if sarah palin was black oprah would think she would make a wonderful president.

9. Carlton West says:

Oprah had a mid-level I.Q. until the time she rode a motorcycle at high speed. Her lips beat her face so badly, she has been a bit off kilter ever since.

10. Aunt Ralph says:

It’s the narrative. Logic don’t enter in.

11. Iva Biggin says:

She rose to affluence through affirmative action. Obonzo rose to power through affirmative action. These birds are gonna flock together.

12. PE says:

Oprah believes in the intelligence of her large,true believer audience. If she recommended a two hundred page book with a single sentence on each page, extolling Obama, it would become a best seller. Is there an antidote for mass hypnosis?

13. Dana says:

Our esteemed hostess asked us:

Help me out here, please … :-\

Well, Phineas beat me to it: President Obama is black and Oprah Winfrey is black. He added some supporting documentation, but it wasn’t really needed.

14. bill glass says:

Oprah’s opinions are, no doubt, carefully distilled and focus-grouped to really offend the fewest people ( viewers and oprah/harpo customers )…She, like most people of color, are convinced that lib politicians are looking out for the little guy, and as such, she desires to be with the group where she can claim to caaaare and be liiiiked. Most dem politicians ( and some repubs, too ) are very needy and a lot like the popular kids in school, and they’ll not reliably ever take a hard position or be able to say no.

To Carlton West: We don’t need no shtinkin’ racist crap here.

Besides, it’s people like you who give TEA parties a bad name and an excuse for the media to bash us.

Grow up and learn beyond 6th grade humor.

16. Bob says:

It smells like racist white people in here!