PHOTOS: Military dogs – gotta love ‘em!

Posted by: ST on May 5, 2011 at 7:28 pm

This story about dogs who serve alongside members of the US military on training and combat missions is the feel-good story of the day. It’ll make you forget for a few minutes the sheer incompetence of this administration’s handling of the post-OBL kill information dissemination, as my co-blogger Anthony discussed earlier.  I had no idea the extent of the canine involvement with the US armed forces until I read the article (which noted a dog was brought along for the OBL “Geronimo” mission) and viewed the pictures (via The Atlantic senior editor Alexis Madrigal).  Here’s one such picture:

Military dog

110301-F-RR679-717 A U.S. Army soldier with the 10th Special Forces Group and his military working dog jump off the ramp of a CH-47 Chinook helicopter from the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment during water training over the Gulf of Mexico as part of exercise Emerald Warrior 2011 on March 1, 2011. Emerald Warrior is an annual two-week joint/combined tactical exercise sponsored by U.S. Special Operations Command designed to leverage lessons learned from operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom to provide trained and ready forces to combatant commanders. DoD photo by Tech. Sgt. Manuel J. Martinez, U.S. Air Force. (Released)

The full version of that photo can be seen here at the DOD website.

In a word: Awesome. God bless man’s best friend!

5 Responses to “PHOTOS: Military dogs – gotta love ‘em!”

Comments

1. Sabers War Dogs says:

Nice little Mal in the pic above. I trained them and Shepherds in Iraq and am very happy to see them getting the high fives for what they do. My little Kaya ( Mal ) found 2500 pounds of high explosives and saved many a good soldiers life!

Dogs are in great danger in middle east and asian war zones – they look like food to some of the starving cave dwellers we’re fighting there!

Actually, the military should train peccaries to do the work those dogs do. Can you picture the shame of some islamofascist as he’s disabled by a pig?

3. Phineas says:

There have been quite a few touching stories about dogs and war in the last few years, including military dogs adopted by the families of soldiers killed in action and dogs from Afghanistan and Iraq adopted by US and UK soldiers after suffering abuse from “the natives.”

And that’s another big difference between the West and the Islamic world: their disdain and even contempt for dogs, versus our love for them. It’s religiously rooted in either the Qur’an or the hadiths, don’t recall which, but I’m sure Muhammad (among his many problems) had a mild phobia for dogs. What does it say about a faith that declare puppies to be unclean?

4. Chris in N.Va says:

Reminds me of a skydiving joke:

A reporter interviews a blind man who is also an avid skydiver. The reporter asks the man whether it bothers him not to be able to see anything as he steps out of the door of a plane thousands of feet in the air.

The blind man responds, “No, it doesn’t bother me a bit, but it sure scares the hell out of the seeing-eye dog!”

5. captaingrumpy says:

God Bless all our little doggies.I just lost my best friend after 17 years together on the farm.He was my constant shadow at work and at play.I’m retired now and won’t get another friend because I don’t want to be 80 and still have a dog to look after.I will never,ever forget my Charlie.