Associated Press refers to Obama as “healer-in-chief”

Posted by: ST on May 29, 2011 at 11:22 am

Sigh (bolded emphasis added by me):

Obama going to Missouri to offer help in healing

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is pivoting from diplomacy on the world stage to the intimate and delicate domestic task of acting as healer-in-chief to a devastated community.

The president travels to tornado-wrecked Joplin, Mo., on Sunday, a day after returning from a six-day European tour of Ireland, England, France and Poland.

After days of focusing on the U.S. relationship with the rest of the world, he’ll turn to an even more critical connection: his own, with the American people.

The president will visit with survivors and family members of the worst tornado in decades, a monster storm that tore through Joplin a week ago leaving more than 130 dead and hundreds more injured. About 100 others are unaccounted for, and the damage is massive.

The president will tour destroyed neighborhoods in the city of 50,000 in southwestern Missouri, and speak at a memorial service being held by local clergy and Gov. Jay Nixon for those who lost their lives. He’ll offer federal assistance, and his own condolences.

[…]

Though times of trouble can erase politics and unite people, a phenomenon Obama has commented on, his task as healer Sunday will be carried out on unfriendly political ground as his re-election campaign approaches. Obama narrowly lost Missouri to Republican John McCain in 2008, but in Jasper County, where Joplin is located, McCain won by a large margin: 66 percent to 33 percent.

I just Tweeted to the AP to please stop referring to President Obama as a “healer”:

Dear @AP: Pls stop referring to Obama as “healer-in-chief”. God heals. Presidents don’t.

If you have a Twitter account and are as disturbed by this description of a President as a “healer”, would you Tweet them as well to (respectfully) let them know how you feel? Or if you prefer, you can find numerous other ways to contact them via this page.

It’s not just Obama that I would prefer they not call a “healer” – it applies to any US President. Of course, it’s no secret that Obama views himself as a healer, going back to when he was running for President, so the issue here with him is to not give him any more reason to believe he actually is. But in general, talking about anyone who will sit in the big chair in the future: When people in those kinds of positions of power get the mistaken idea – whether unprompted or not – that they can actually “heal” a nation, we’re in trouble. You don’t even need to be devoutly religous to understand this.

Kentucky flyer for Obama

No. (Photo circa fall 2008)

14 Responses to “Associated Press refers to Obama as “healer-in-chief””

Comments

1. Coastal Eddie says:

The Associated Press is correctly truncated as AsP. A deadly poisonous snake which must be handled carefully.

2. Old Goat says:

When you are liberal who has not God, you make Duh One into one. They worship at his feet and see nothing wrong with it.

Obama has divided this country, he has insulted our allies, crapped on the Constitution, and emboldened our enemies. All in a day’s work of the lord (or should that be load of crap) or the left.

I don’t believe he is the antichrist, but the AP and the general media is making him out to be a messiah. Pretty scary if you ask me.

3. Heather says:

I’m not real twitter proficent, so I copied and pasted your tweet.

Duh-1 can’t be THE antichrist as described in the Bible, but I certainly wouldn’t dismiss his being possessed of Satan as a real possibility.

BTW, when’s the “heel”-er going to spend some mournful, conciliatory and demagoguing time with the flood victims of the Mississippi? Or has he lost his ability to calm the waters?

5. Read this article earlier today. Then, just past 9pm tonight, I turned on the car radio to see what ABC thought was worth 5min of news. I heard just a second of O’Bama’s voice, then before I could turn the radio off, the newscaster called him “the nation’s pastor.” I managed to just turn the radio off without smashing the switch.

More like the nation’s imam. Personal opinion, of course, but if he has any religion at all (besides self-worship) it would have to be Islam because he shore ain’t a Christian by any standard I know of.

7. Drew the Infidel says:

It should be obvious by now why AP is better known as American Pravda.

8. ABC again:
    “Assuming his role as the nation’s pastor on Sunday….”
    LINK and doubtless many elsewheres.

I didn’t go searching for this. Just clicked the first article in the first clump of stories at the top of Google US News today.

9. captaingrumpy says:

Now I really hate him.

For his campaign speech at Arlington Cemetery today he invoked some scripture from Isaiah.

Funniest thing, though, it was taken completely out of context and made the Christian God sound like the biggest warmonger this side of Allah.

Doesn’t surprise me a bit that he was/is so unfamiliar with that (or frankly, any other) particular text from the Bible.

After all his supposed training for such, he still doesn’t understand the Constitution; how in the name of anything in the world could he presuppose himself to have a clue about the Bible?

11. Zippy says:

@ Old Goat: You nailed it when you said he has divided this country. I see it more than ever before. Those who are believers are believers without hesitation.. and there are many who are sorry that they voted for this atrocity. He’s a narcissist and those who refuse to see that call us non believing non kool aid drinking logical thinkers racist and worse. IDIOTS. IDIOTS. I am still quaked by the fact that this albatross got in office and believe that the aforementioned double headed no brained worshiping IDIOTS will vote his stupid ass in once again. God help us.

Addendum: He’s about as much of a healer as I am a doctor, lawyer, Indian chief, ballerina, princess and dancing monkey.

12. Noelegy says:

Just remember how George W. Bush was excoriated for professing his faith.