Saturday Engine Starter: President Reagan at Normandy, 6/6/84

Posted by: ST on June 4, 2011 at 10:30 am

I coulda waited to post this on June 6th – when the speech was made, but I didn’t want to. ;) **==

You can read the text of the speech here.

(Video link via @CraigR3521)

Update/Related – 11:22 AM: I see my co-blogger and I are on the same page this morning. Make sure to check out his Saturday engine starter on Winston Churchill.

8 Responses to “Saturday Engine Starter: President Reagan at Normandy, 6/6/84”

Comments

1. Phineas says:

That is one of the great speeches ever delivered in the modern era.

2. ST says:

I’m hard-pressed to find a speech of Reagan’s that couldn’t be ranked in the top 50 all time greatest. :D This one was indeed one of the best.

Everyone has been “impressed” by how great a “speaker” our glorious leader is, but to me he’s more a lecturer-in-chief and a reader-in-chief than a speaker.

RR was a speaker, unparalleled in the modern world because of his incredible timing and knowledge of what moves the listeners, and his ability to deliver that message without the annoying aid of some modern tech hindrance.

He is missed all the more today because of the incredible push toward socialism taking place today.

4. Otis P. Driftwood says:

I was stationed on the USS Eisenhower CVN-69 at the time. We were off the coast of Normandy. They assembled a bunch of us on the flight deck and we spelled out “IKE” in our dress white uniforms. Two helicopters hovered near us for about 10 minutes. Ronald Reagan was in one, on his way to the ceremony. He talked to us for about 5 minutes, we could hear it over the loud speakers on the flight deck.

5. Kate says:

I think this is one of those, you don’t know what you have til it’s gone moments for me. I really took President Regan for granted and was too busy raising little ones at that time to understand what a great personality he truly was. He was sincere and had great integrity which the media at that time actually respected somewhat.

6. captaingrumpy says:

I’ll leave this one to you Yanks.

7. Anne Knecht says:

:) Where is his teleprompter? Zero cannot talk to a kindergarten class w/o one. So sad for us. Now we have Charlie Rangel, Anthony Weiner, Awful, just awful.