NC electronic road sign hacked to read “Impeach Obama”

Posted by: ST on July 18, 2011 at 7:09 pm

No, I’m not on the “Impeach Obama” wagon, nor do I condone hacking into DOT road signs, but I couldn’t resist linking up to this local story (via @BreeanneHowe):

UNION COUNTY, N.C. — A Department of Transportation electronic road sign was apparently hacked into and the road warning changed over the weekend.

The sign at the intersection of Unionville-Indian Trail and Ridge roads in Union County was changed to read “Impeach Obama.” Some passers by stopped to take pictured of the sign and comment on the message. One driver said the act was bold because she thought the hacker could get into trouble for manipulating a state-owned road sign.

DOT officials said Sunday evening they had not heard about the change to the sign, but would send an engineer to edit the message so that it displays the correct road warning. The sign was corrected Sunday night, officials said.

Here’s the sign (slideshow here):

Image courtesy of WSOC-TV.

Image courtesy of WSOC-TV

Obama’s approval ratings here in NC have been hovering between the 40 – 49% mark for over a year – and depending on who his GOP 2012 opponent is, he may have a tougher fight here than his campaign is anticipating. Case in point: TX Gov. Rick Perry.

15 Responses to “NC electronic road sign hacked to read “Impeach Obama””

Comments

1. Phineas says:

Hey, if it had been me, the sign would have read “Phineas 2012.” :d

2. Rovin says:

“NO LEFT TURN AHEAD” or “IF YOU TURN RIGHT AHEAD, YOU MIGHT FIND A JOB”

or…..

“Impeach Obama”—-”this sign will still be running when you unemployment checks run out”

3. proof says:

How many electronic sign hacker jobs have been created or saved by this administration?

4. PE says:

“IMPEACH OBAMA.” That’s a short form of the test message: “Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.”

5. Frank Nitti says:

reminds of the sign from here in S.C.

tried posting the sign with no luck

Prosperity ——>
    <—— Clinton

Your last sentence, ST, about Perry, reminded me that there was a former senator from Pennsylvania who was a Democrap before he was a “Republican.”

Fortunately for the United States, the opportunistic politician (sorry, I was just redundant, wasn’t I) was voted out of office last go-around, and also fortunately, the people of the United States won’t have to put up with Perry for 4 years.

Would he be better than Obhammud? Probably, but there’s no guarantee of that, and since he’s still a Democrap at heart (I’ve seen no “Come to Jesus” moment from him) he has to be an inveterate liar just like our present glorious leader.

Thanks, but I’ll stick to a real Republican if at all possible.

7. Sefton says:

PE – nice one.

8. Tex says:

Ah yes! Brings back fond memories of my living in North Carolina back in the early 1970s for a short time. North Carolina rocks!

9. Aulus says:

I rather prefer the hacked sign from last year that read:

ZOMBIE OUTBREAK AHEAD
    EVERYBODY RUN

10. Frank, it’s not exactly in the same vein, but the photo to which you linked reminded me of this classic street sign.

This is not the first I’ve seen of those electronic highway signs being cracked. As a programmer, I wonder how they crack into it. Just curious. As Nixon famously said, “That would be wrong.” Oh! Top item on Google search answered that one, with another example. Requires breaking a literal lock (very bad form) and, as I assumed, the road folks leaving the default password. Duuhhhh.

11. Here’s the image to which Frank was attempting to link. Images are not allowed on most comments, Frank, but you can post them as a regular link.

12. captaingrumpy says:

Should have been done 12 months ago.

13. Bear1909 says:

There is going to be hell for this Nation to pay because of Barry Soetoro’s policies and subterfuge. Let’s win in 2012.

14. Why Obama cannot be impeached (and should not be) by Devvy Kidd at World Net Daily (my emphasis added:

Congress cannot even impeach him because, not being the actual President, he cannot be “removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors” … Despite all the noise out there by Obama’s supporters, it is crystal clear the putative president was born with dual citizenship and is forever ineligible to be president. … To impeach would also accomplish this: Every piece of legislation he’s signed into law would remain on the books. … Will he ever be indicted for his crimes? With enough public pressure, it can happen because his handlers would simply throw him under the bus as a liability.