Define “RINO”

Posted by: ST on July 27, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I hear this term a lot.  In fact, I’m not even sure what it’s supposed to mean anymore because some use it to mean “anyone who disagrees with a conservative no matter the issue” while to others it means someone who is literally a RINO who votes and thinks more along the lines of a staunch Democrat.  Someone like Lincoln Chafee, for example.  I tend to subscribe to the latter definition.

In my opinion, the definition of it has been watered down to the point where the word almost has no meaning anymore.  Kind of like the word racist, which has been misused, abused, misrepresented, etc for as long as I can remember by left wing political opportunists.

So, let me step out of the way here and give the floor to you: What is your definition of “RINO”?

13 Responses to “Define “RINO””

Comments

1. Dawnsblood says:

People on our side of the isle have been using the term for ages. I really do not know what it is supposed to mean. They seem to think Republican=Conservative and that has never ever been true.

I think these people are looking for something like Cino but are really confused.

2. Baklava says:

In the dictionary is shows Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe – oh wait – is that John McCain :d

A “RINO” is one who calls him/herself a Republican but exhibits all the trademarks of a Democrap: no spine, desperate for attention, a liar, a cheat, a thief and/or one who believes (the only real belief one has) that bigger government is better.

The speed at which one gets to bigger government matters not; hence, Bush the Elder and Bush the Idiot were both RINOs. So was/is McCain, who can’t decide what side of an issue he’s on until he’s running for election/re-election.

Although the “lie, cheat, steal”criteria are important, the biggy is the government thing, and there are precious few elected people in DC who don’t believe government, to one extent or another, isn’t the answer.

4. nina says:

John McCain.

5. John says:

To borrow from Reagan; I don’t feel like I left the Republican Party, but that they left me. I am a Republican, but I’m not sure anyone else is anymore.

6. Greg says:

If your favorite favorite President was FDR you might be a RINO.
    If you still believe Bill Clinton was the first black President you might be a RINO.
    If your idea of ‘border security’ has anything at all to do with a bookstore you might be a RINO.
    If you believe the US Constitution is more a set of guidelines than actual rules you might be a RINO.
    If believe that the US Supreme Court is a good test pod for affirmative action then you might be a RINO.
    If you think the problems America face are a direct result from taxes being too low, government being too small and the ‘rich’ not paying their ‘fair share’ then you might be a RINO.
    If the side you take on any political issue is based on how ‘the world’ perceives America you might be a RINO.
    If you believe that America’s enemies might have a legitimate beef us you might be a RINO.
    If when Barack Obama speaks on TV you grab the remote to turn the sound UP you might be a RINO.
    Hope this helps.

7. Kate says:

It’s the “in name only”….that defines them. Republicans who have compromised their convictions in order to maintain an elected position.

8. Tawny Jones says:

How about 2 doddering, lurching examples? John McCain & Charles Krauthammer.

9. CZ says:

Easy. While there are many, for me McCain defines it with Linsey Grahm a close second.

Look for Senator Mark Kirk (R-Illinois) to work very hard at gaining the title. Kirk has been known to take warm showers in the wee hours of the morning with Dick Durbin :<

10. Alltogethernow says:

McCain.

11. Short hand for “politician from the conservative party, in a two party system, possessing a knee-jerk response for compromising with the liberal party.”

RINOs contribute to ever growing big government, just at a slower pace than liberals. Can we make it a three-party system?

d(^_^)b
    “Because the Only Good Progressive is a Failed Progressive”

Nice list Greg!!! It really sums up folks like Colin Powell and David Brooks. Never a big fan of either, but both have seemed to leave the Rep party in ideology, but still believe they maintain their status as Reps.

As Dick Chenney said to a question about Colin Powell, “is he still in the Rep party”. – Lorica

13. George Robinson says:

FIRST ! Kudos to Greg, and he did it around midnight. I have always proffered that RINO’s are far more dangerous than commies. Commies are like mosquito’s, they buzz around and drive one nuts, and the only thing they are good for is to feed bats or in my case to use for Target practice. RINO’s sneak around and try to catch you off guard, sometimes they even say things that sound like they might make sense. Send them out to swat mosquito’s and what you get is a lot of mosquito’s.