Share your East Coast Quake story!

Posted by: ST on August 23, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Yes, yes – we’re ok here in North Carolina, but that doesn’t mean some  high rise buildings in the area didn’t shake during the Mineral, VA 5.8 earthquake that happened earlier today.  In Concord, where I was at the time, I didn’t feel anything but my sister works at a high rise in uptown Charlotte and she texted me to tell me her building shook. Yikes!  I hear the Charlotte/Concord area is on a major fault line and if we were ever to be directly impacted by an earthquake of that magnitude, the results could be catastrophic.   I’m also hearing that some liberals are also blaming the “Bush Fault” line for today’s earth-shaker …

Details on the quake, via Fox News:

An unusually strong magnitude 5.8 earthquake struck central Virginia Tuesday afternoon and sent tremors along the East Coast, which prompted office buildings from Washington D.C. to New York to be evacuated.

There were no immediate reports of injury or serious structural damage.

The earthquake struck near Mineral, Va., more than three miles below sea level, the U.S. Geological Survey said. Mineral is town 83 miles from D.C. and has been known for its seismic activity, but seldom produces a substantial earthquake.

Most of downtown D.C. was evacuated, including the U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon and other office buildings. Pictures on the wall in the Capitol building reportedly fell and panicked workers ran to the exits, apparently fearing a 9/11-style attack. Workers were initially told not to re-enter the buildings, but were later allowed to enter the Capitol building.

Marine helicopters were seen hovering above the D.C, and there were reports that the Washington Monument may be tilting.

The press corp with President Obama in Martha’s Vineyard said they felt slight shaking. Obama told reporters that he did not feel the tremor. Attorney General Eric Holder has been evacuated from the Department of Justice.

Obama and many of the nation’s leaders were out of town on August vacation when the quake struck at 1:51 p.m. local time.

“People pouring out of buildings and onto the sidewalks and Into Farragut Park in downtown DC…,” GOP strategist Kevin Madden tweeted, MyFoxDC.com reported.

At Reagan National Airport outside Washington, ceiling tiles fell during a few seconds of shaking. Authorities put all flights on hold.

A spokesman for Washington National Cathedral said at least three of the four pinnacles on the central tower have fallen off and the central tower appears to be leaning.

New York also felt tremors from the earthquake.

Buildings in New York City shook briefly and the FBI building was evacuated. Flights resumed at John F. Kennedy International Airport and Newark Airport, where control towers were previously evacuated. Evacuations were demanded as north as Canada.

Federal officials say two nuclear reactors were taken offline near quake site in Virginia; there was no damage reported. Indian Point, a power plant in New York, said on Twitter that there are no issues at the facility.

To no one’s surprise, an “I Survived The East Coast Quake” Facebook page has already been created. ;)

Are you in area on the East Coast that was impacted by the earthquake?  If so – this is your “where were you when this happened?” moment.  Let us know what happened. :)

Meanwhile, Hurricane Irene edges towards the North Carolina and South Carolina coasts:

MIAMI, FL. — Irene has lost some of its punch and is now a Category 1 hurricane. But the storm remains likely to regain strength and become a major hurricane.

The National Hurricane Center said Tuesday afternoon that Irene had maximum sustained winds of 90 mph (145 kph) as it lashed the Turks and Caicos Islands. Updated projections had the storm moving farther east than before, but models still show Irene could make landfall in North Carolina over the weekend.

Irene’s center was 50 miles (80 kilometers) south-southwest of Grand Turk Island. It was moving west-northwest at 9 mph (15 kph).

Evacuations begin

Authorities on North Carolina’s Ocracoke Island have issued a mandatory evacuation order for visitors to leave starting at 5 a.m. Wednesday as Hurricane Irene approaches.

Officials said Tuesday that a mandatory evacuation order for all non-emergency personnel will go into effect Thursday morning for the barrier island, which is only accessible by boat.

Stay safe, my coastal friends …

8 Responses to “Share your East Coast Quake story!”

Comments

1. While I’m not on the East coast, I have an earthquake story.

Today at work, some of the guys were talking about the quake in Colorado, when one of the women in the office overhead them and made a bad assumption.

She jumped into the conversation and said, “Yeah, they evacuated the White House and the Pentagon because of it!”

The guys looked at her and one of them said, “Why would they evacuate the White House because of an earthquake in Colorado?”

The rest of the day, we attributed an increasingly ridiculous amount of things to the Colorado earthquake.

2. Phineas says:

There’s always a bit of humor in these things. I work in an Earth Sciences library in California.A couple of hours after the VA quake, I get a phone call from someone in *Maryland* asking if we had any information about quakes in her area.

With a bit of a puzzled look on my face, I asked “Ma’am, have you tried contacting the University of Maryland or Virginia? They may know the local area better than we do.”

(Pause for a moment of silence as a light goes on.)

“Oh,” she says, “I didn’t think of that! Thanks!”

I guess California=”earthquake experts” is just an automatic association. ;)

3. SpideyTerry says:

Over here in the Philly area, I was just sitting at my computer at home. All of a sudden I feel a shaking. At first I thought it was just a truck driving by the house, but it kept going. So I instinctively got up and calmly walked to a doorway. Fortunately, nothing at home or in the neighborhood was even slightly messed up. My friends later even commented, “What the hell was that?”

4. JelloDice says:

I was in my apartment, Sitting on chair surfing the web, the room starting to shake, felt more of the circular motion it also make me think I was going to have an epilepsy episode ( i had them before) I was preparing to get myself lay down but realizing what’s under my feet was moving… panicked, I ran out and check on my neighbors and they seems to be confused.. which makes me even more confused….. I ran out more further to see the company and they all out of the building and I was thinking what the hell has happen… and all of the sudden I checked on facebook to learn it was VA earthquake…. I gotta tell you I never felt like this! NJ never had one before…… Gish

Glassboro, NJ XD happy readinghttp://64.19.142.13/sistertoldjah.com/smilies/yahoo_bigsmile.gif

5. Kate says:

No I didn’t feel the earthquake, but I did feel the after effects…an screaming teenager running around crying about her cell phone not having service, an angry husband who thought we put rocks in the washing machine and it shaking the house and an inbox full of facebook notes about the earthquake. So I am happy its all over now!

6. Paul says:

I was in an elevator in South Carolina when the shock hit us. The thing bounced and I couldn’t get off for a short time…

7. Great White Rat says:

My experience was similar to SpideyTerry’s. First there were a few loud ‘thumps’ that sounded like books falling from a bookcase shelf. That gave way to windows rattling and a rumbling like you’d get from a very large truck or train passing by – except the rumbling was coming from the back yard, and trucks and trains don’t generally run there.

Oh, and I’m sure Obama already has this added to his list of “bad luck” events that caused the economic problems.

some liberals are also blaming the “Bush Fault” line for today’s earth-shaker

Even worse, I understand that the quake made Obama miss a putt. Is there no end to the evil that George Bush brings us?

8. Auntie_Maim says:

If there’s one thing that can be counted on in the universe, it is that whenever something happens I will be on the toilet.

Yep, there I was, doing my own business, and suddenly the floor started feeling as if it was….well, liquid. It rolled under my feet as if there was some kind of heavy, oil-like fluid making waves underneath the linoleum. And there was a booming sound, as if someone had been blasting a couple miles away. And let me tell you, all of our four-legged “kids” (who had been fussy, fussy, fussy all day) took off for shelter under the dining room table.

The hubby and I live in a little, old brick house in Callaway, VA which is just south of Roanoke in the western end of the state. We do have a couple of highways that are being widened around here and VDOT has been blasting to make room for new lanes or taking down decrepit bridges for reconstruction; both of those projects are about 15 – 20 miles away. We are also not far from the Radford Armory — a munitions plant that is still active — so you can probably guess what my first thoughts were about the noise, etc.

Turns out that the noise I heard was really nothing more than the house settling. Hubby was making his way across a parking lot after a job interview in Roanoke when the jolt nearly tripped him (and everyone else in the lot), so he was actually outside when it happened. I am proud of our “kids,” though; they’d actually started being fusspots the night before the tremor, and as the time got nearer, got antsier and antsier, trying to herd me and the cats under the table with them. (They did get the cats underneath a steel-framed couch, though, before running for cover themselves.) There’s a part of me that feels like such a doh-head for not catching on. But hey, how often do we get something like this here?

Glad to hear everyone’s well and happy,
    — karen