Hurricane Irene “just wind and rain”? I don’t think so.

Posted by: ST on August 28, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I think the pictures tell the story.  More here.

Been reading Tweets all morning from people up North who are whining about the inconvenience of having to prepare/change their daily routine/evacuate.  Makes my blood boil.  After Katrina, didn’t people learn “better safe than sorry”? Astonishing to me that there are people who are actually upset because they couldn’t get a latte this morning because there wasn’t a Starbucks nearby where they evacuated to, or because where they normally go has been closed off by their respective local governments.  I also find it majorly annoying to read people who have been through Cat 2+ hurricanes say that Irene was “just wind and rain.”   The whole “my hurricane was bigger than yours” thing kinda reminds me of the age-old tendency by guys to compare “packages”, if you catch my drift.  It’s childish – is it really worth it when you consider the loss of life, the billions in property damage, the months it will take to refurb/rebuild homes and businesses in areas devastated by the “little Cat. 1″ Irene, whose wind gusts and storm surges at time were more like a Cat. 2?

There is a valid concern that because New York City, where the mainstream media seemed to focus most of their attention (because no where else seemed to matter, I guess), wasn’t destroyed that people will not listen to the warnings next time around.  Sorry to sound harsh, but that is THEIR problem.  If people want to ignore the warnings and sit out a tornado, hurricane, etc – that’s their issue.  Just because you don’t get burned the first time around makes it ok to chance it the second time around? And if it ends up being catastrophic and these same people end up being hurt or killed, leaving behind distraught family members – well, they were warned.  God only knows how many countless family members weep when they think about loved ones who were lost during a natural disasters past because they thought nothing would happen to them.

Also, on the flip side, think about the reverse situation: If local governments believed forecasters had overhyped a storm, and as a result didn’t urge precautions and evacuations, and the storm ended up being epic in terms of loss of life, etc?  There would be a nationwide outrage and rightly so.

People laugh at us here in NC sometimes because the bread and milk and batters fly off the shelves at the first sign of a snowflake.  But I personally would rather be prepared and not need things than to need things and not be prepared.    Predicting the seriousness of natural disasters is not an exact science (as we all know), but if my local weather guy/gal tells me to prepare and/or evacuate, you bet your a** I’m gonna do it.  My mama didn’t raise a fool.

North Carolina’s coast line/Outer Banks area was hardest hit.  Click here for damage assessments so far.  If you’re a resident of North Carolina affected/impacted by Irene, go here for information on how to get help, find out about road closures, etc.

12 Responses to “Hurricane Irene “just wind and rain”? I don’t think so.”

Comments

Gosh, ST, you’d think that people smart enough to elect “The Stud” Wiener and Chucky Cheesy Schumer would certainly be smart enough to know Irene was “just wind and rain.”

What a bunch of chumps.

2. Tass says:

I’ve been checking the news all weekend, and am finding nothing on NC…I don’t have any family left there, but I still consider it home. Like TX, i think the residents of NC/VA will do what needs to be done and move on. Seems the mainstream media has already decided that NJ and NY have suffered more because some communities may be without power for (shudder) up to a week.

Hope everyone stays safe!

Tass (Texas Tarheel)

There is a display in Mobile Alabama of the stern of a ship that was dredged up from the bottom of the ocean and thrown thru someones house half a mile away from the coast. They said the thing weighted like 2 tons. It must be 20 feet long. You can see it on Google street view, it is at Fort Gaines on Dauphin Island. These things are horrible and devastating, but for some reason or another we need them. – Lorica

Yes, Lorica, according to some wingnuts butterflies would disappear, or something like that. Mother Gaiea is doing her darndest to bring herself back into balance in spite of all the evil mankind is doing to her…

5. Great White Rat says:

Gotta partly agree and partly disagree with ya on this one, ST.

Agree with you 100% about preparation and evacuation. These storms can be deadly, so anyone who refuses to take sensible precautions isn’t being rational. Even worse are the idiots who deliberately put themselves in harm’s way. In this case, I buttoned up and prepared as best as I could, and I’d do it again.

On the other hand, it’s just a fact that in my area at least, Irene was little more than wind and rain – the wind, in fact, never getting above more than 28 mph except for a few gusts to 40 or so. I saw a few small tree branches – more like large twigs, actually – taken down, but that’s it. Never lost power, never lost the water, dams on the creek behind the house held and there was no flooding. If I were to tell you I’ve seen worse, it’s not some weird bravado, it’s a fact.

That’s not to minimize what happened elsewhere. I know it was worse – a lot worse – in NC and VA. Even in Philadelphia, across the river, I saw substantially more damage today than in my neighborhood – large trees taken down and some major flooding along Pennypack Creek.

So if I’m the one saying it was only wind and rain here, I mean I had incredibly good luck, and am fully aware the next time might be very different.

6. TexasDoc says:

Hope everyone is safe.

In my home state, we have experienced a number of major hurricanes and major tropical storms in the last 20 years. Some of the more memorable ones: Tropical storm Allison dumped 3 feet of water on one section of Houston; Hurricane Rita shut down the oil refineries down in Texas City for a while; Hurricane Katrina gave us some direct damage but a lot of refugees in East Texas; and more recently Hurricane Ike destroyed a lot of Galveston.

One of my patients reported that she overheard some eastern commentator saying how bad Hurricane Irene would be and “things like this only happen in hick states like Texas and Florida!” (her words and her report-NOT MINE!). Considering how hot and dry this summer has been in Texas, it sure takes a lot of nerve for anyone to make any stupid comment like that, if indeed my patient was telling the truth. I don’t doubt for a minute that some liberal moron in a large northeastern city would be that callous.

7. e.p. says:

“but if my local weather guy/gal tells me to prepare and/or evacuate, you bet your a** I’m gonna do it. My mama didn’t raise a fool.”

Disagree. My mama didn’t raise a fool either, we were taught to be prepared, storm or no storm. It’s how we survived a week without power in a blizzard when I was a kid. We always had canned goods in the basement, half a cow in the freezer and a shed packed with firewood. Storm or no storm we could survive weeks at a time at home.

Wife, kids and I survived the AL tornadoes this spring in the same fashion. We were a few miles from the tornado line and hunkered down, ate food out of the pantry, only wandered into town once to get some more ice and charcoal. If you are always prepared, the storm is no big deal.

-e.p.

@TexasDoc: Callous? Heck, y’all ain’t heard nothin’ yet. Wait till ya hear what all them high-falootin’ elite-wannabees REALLY think not only of Texas but of every place outside the major metro areas of the east coast!

If they were only conscious enough to realize just how stupid they really sound, the world would be a better place, but one has to remember, these are the same folks that worship our president.

9. John says:

If people don’t want to prepare then let ‘em suffer. Life is much harder than it has to be when you’re stupid.

10. Noelegy says:

“There is a valid concern that because New York City, where the mainstream media seemed to focus most of their attention (because no where else seemed to matter, I guess)”

Haven’t you ever seen a disaster movie? NYC and LA always get creamed. Of course, one of my pet peeves about movies is that most of them are set in NYC or LA even if the story doesn’t call for it, as though nothing of any interest happens anywhere else in the country.

11. Noelegy says:

P.S. One of my left-leaning friends posted on Facebook the other day a link to a Daily Kos (ick, spit) article about sensible hurricane preparedness. The amusing thing was the tone that the article took about how we can’t second-guess the government when it comes to evacuation orders.

Really? But GW Bush is STILL excoriated after all these years by his handling of Katrina, while Ray Nagin and Kathleen Blanco got off scotfree for their incompetence.

12. mike murphy says:

As a genuine Katrina survivor, I never take any hurricane lightly. The officials did everything correctly. Had they not prepared and the storm had been worse, it could have been a huge disaster. All storms can cause serious damage- remember Tropical Storm Allison in 2001? It never made it to hurricane status, but still caused 41 deaths and $13 Billion in damage in Texas- it was “just wind and rain”.