Herman Cain to “reassess” campaign in light of most recent shock allegation

Posted by: ST on November 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm

First, in case you hadn’t read about the most recent shock allegation against GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain, Fox 5 Atlanta posted a story about it yesterday:

ATLANTA, Ga. – An Atlanta businesswoman is breaking her silence, claiming she has been involved in a 13-year-long affair with Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, FOX 5 senior I-Team reporter Dale Russell sat down with Ginger White, who had a story to tell.

“I’m not proud,” White told Russell. “I didn’t want to come out with this. I did not.”

White was worried a political tsunami was headed her way. So, she decided to head it off, by confessing she was involved in a 13-year-long affair with presidential hopeful Herman Cain.

“It was pretty simple,” White said. “It wasn’t complicated. I was aware that he was married. And I was also aware I was involved in a very inappropriate situation, relationship.”

Ginger White says she met Herman Cain in the late 90s in Louisville, Kentucky, when as president of the National Restaurant Association, he made a presentation. She was impressed. She says they shared drinks afterwards and he invited her back to his hotel room.

“’I’d like to see you again,’” White said Cain told her. “’You are beautiful to me, and I would love for us to continue this friendship.’”

She says in his hotel room, he pulled out a calendar and invited her to meet him in Palm Springs. She accepted, and she says the affair began.

“He made it very intriguing,” White told FOX 5. “It was fun. It was something that took me away from my humdrum life at the time. And it was exciting.”

She says he gave her his newly-published book, Leadership is Common Sense, and he wrote: “Miss G, you have already made a ‘big difference!’ Stay focused as you pursue your next destination.”

She says during the next 13 years, he would fly her to cities where he was speaking and he lavished her with gifts. She says they often stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead and dined at The Four Seasons restaurant. She says he never harassed her, never treated her poorly, and was the same man you see on the campaign trail.

Read the rest of the story for what White claims is “evidence” to support her assertion about the affair.

Cain has, of course, denied the allegations and in fact tried to get ahead of them yesterday before the story broke by saying there was a woman who was going to come forth with allegations of an affair, and that what she said would not be true.

Today, some 24 hours after White’s story became public, Cain held a brief conference call with senior campaign staffers to let them know he was “reassessing” whether or not to continue with his campaign. National Review was also on the call and has this transcript:

“Obviously, you’re all aware of this recent firestorm that hit the news yesterday,” Cain began, his voice somber. “First thing I want to do is say to you what I have said publicly: I deny those charges, unequivocally. Secondly, I have known this lady for a number of years. And thirdly, I have been attempting to help her financially because she was out of work and destitute, desperate. So, thinking that she was a friend — and I have helped many friends — I now know that she wasn’t the friend that I thought she was. But it was a just a friendship relationship.”

“That being said, obviously, this is cause for reassessment,” he continued. “As you know, during the summer we had to make some reassessments based upon our financial situation. We were able to hang in there; we reassessed the situation and kept on going. We also did a reassessment after the Iowa straw poll and we made another reassessment after the Florida straw poll. When the previous two accusations, false accusations, came about, we made another assessment. The way we handled those was, we continued on with our schedule. We made an assessment about what was going to happen to our support. But our supporters, and even some folks that we didn’t have as supporters, they stood with us, and they showed it not only in terms of their verbal support, they showed it in terms of their dollars.”

“Now, with this latest one, we have to do an assessment as to whether or not this is going to create too much of a cloud, in some people’s minds, as to whether or not they would be able to support us going forth,” Cain said.

“Over the next several days, we are going to continue with the schedule as usual,” he said. “I’ve got a major speech tonight at Hillsdale College on national security and foreign policy, and I will deliver it with vim, vigor, and enthusiasm. And then tomorrow we’ve got some media appearances scheduled. So we’re going to continue until we complete our assessment over the next several days.”

“But if a decision is made, different than to plow ahead, you all will be the first to know,” he said. “So until that time, I want to continue to thank you all for your support, thank you for your prayers. It’s taken an emotional toll, but the people in the audience tonight will never know it.”

“It’s also taken a toll on my wife and family, as you would imagine,” he concluded. “Any time you put another cloud of doubt, unfortunately, in the court of public opinion, for some people, you’re guilty until proven innocent. And so, the public will have to decide whether they believe her or whether they believe me. That’s why we’re going to give it time, to see what type of response we get from our supporters.”

Well, in light of how the Cain campaign – including Cain himself – totally bungled the response to the sexual harassment charges thrown at him last month, his initial responses in this case have at least come across as more composed and measured. That being said, I’m a little troubled that instead of fighting back against allegations he claims are untrue and committing himself to staying in the campaign, he is trying to decide whether or not to stay in. My initial reaction to the story about this conference call was that people who have nothing to hide wouldn’t be considering quitting as he is.

What do you think? Do you believe this is nothing more than a coordinated smear campaign? Or are you of the viewpoint that “where there is smoke, there’s fire”?

11 Responses to “Herman Cain to “reassess” campaign in light of most recent shock allegation”

Comments

1. Tom the Redhunter says:

One women and it’s a misunderstanding or a disgruntled former employee or someone with a grudge.

Two… ok it depends but I might still give the man the benefit of the doubt.

Three, four, five… forget it, pal.

Face it, there’s no more blaming the liberal media. The Tea Partiers defense of “he’s a threat so they have to take him down” has gone from weak to pathetic. Cain is done, let’s move on to choosing between Newt and Mitt.

2. David R. says:

Tom, your assumption is that we have to choose between Newt and Mitt. I think there are a few other to choose from. I will NOT support any form of Rino’s. Mitt is the worst of them, Newt is “almost ok”, but has so much baggage they’ll have a field day dragging up the skeletons in his closet. Cain is done whether he continues or not. All these women have brought his campaign to ruin. True or not the court of public opinion is out and most just are disappointed a good man was brought low. If you think the woman isn’t making some $$$ for coming out with her story… you probably even trust what you hear news casters say word for word.

3. Dave B says:

I agree that Cain is toast whether he did anything or not. The Left has managed to turn him into a punch line and nobody is going to give his campaign any money. Now the Left will try to get Newt the nomination. They’re practically drooling for a career old white fat unattractive Washington politician that has no real business experience, has accepted excessive amounts of money from Fannie and Freddie, who supported a Federal mandate on health care, with no executive experience. I wouldn’t mind seeing Newt as a VP possibility but he won’t and can’t beat the incumbent. Hence the support and astroturfing of Occupy movements and the recent DNC ad targeting Romney. They want the “visual” of the cool President with a family v. the old white Washington insider. They’re going to get down and dirty in this election because they can’t run on Obama’s record or the economy so they want a guy they can crucify and put on the defensive about ethics violations, adultery, and has had more than his share of “flip-flopping.” I hope we don’t fall for this again.

Herman’s toast, as Dave noted, so the party needs to move on.

However, I would love it if Cain hired investigators and found the common thread with all these women, hopefully tying every one of them to Axelturf and/or any of his thug associates. Then, with solid evidence in hand, I hope Cain sues every one of them individually, along with Axelturf and his cronies, for the salary and perks of a four-year term, which, BTW, would include the salary and protection forever. The funding for such should mostly come out of union slush funds usually called PACs. But enough of the individual payments should come from Axelturf and each of these sorry excuses for the female of the species.

Maybe then the Democraps would realize there’s a limit to the illegal crap they pull every election.

5. Drew the Infidel says:

There is a common thread among these women making tawdry claims against Herman Cain, besides being fronts for the Commiecrats. Their backgrounds read like a loser’s biography; this latest one has multiple bankruptcies and a conviction for libel. It just goes to show a cat may have nine lives but a lie can live forever.

6. redgypsy says:

“White was worried a political tsunami was headed her way.”
    What does that mean?? Is SHE running for some kind of office? Sounds suspiciously like she saw an opportunity for the limelight. . .
    That said, I can see why he is re-assessing whether he will run. If all this is is a smear, it must be a nasty blow to him and the happiness of what appears to be a very solid marriage. He may not be willing to sacrifice that.
    If the allegations are true, well, then, he has another set of problems. Unlike the Dems, we don’t assume that private morals are somehow totally unrelated to public…

7. PE says:

One of the underlying themes of pundits regarding republican candidates is that we don’t know the essence of these people or what any one of them will really do if elected. Fair enough by me; Obama is the devil I know. I’m voting for the devil I don’t know.

8. CZ says:

What everyone else said.

As much as it hurts me to type it, say goodnight Herman. And he was my guy.

Axelrod made a handsome living ruining Illinois politicians by exploiting troubled women and sex. It never mattered what party they belonged to.

Axelrod makes Nixon’s dirty tricks crew look like a bunch of propellerheads.

9. Kate says:

This is a matter of political smear machines…the fact that people are willing to jump on the smear bandwagon makes me nauseous. So who can’t be made toast? The democrats allowed Clinton to become president despite allegations of the worst sexual impropriety. They ripped the women who came forward.

Do we see such thorough investigations of these charges or just a gleeful cheer from the MSM pundits. This is what makes me wonder. They just can’t have a black conservative vs a black socialist.

Has anyone of the previous women filed charges in a court of law?
    Has Ginger White herself got more than cell phone calls? If Herman Cain was being kindhearted and helping her through financial difficulties out of the goodness of his heart, he should have looked at her background first. I think his wife will probably have to make an appearance on the liberal talk shows to clear the air. They all trumped Hillary for standing by her man and then elected her senator.

10. Tex says:

The fact that all these women, whether their stories are true or not, all came forth nearly at the same time as Cain had surged in the polls to the top is immediately suspicious. Why didn’t they come out a year ago, or 6 months ago, when Cain was in the public eye but not doing well in the polls?

Like everyone else here, I believe there is a common thread to all these women, other than Cain himself, which probably leads back to the Democratic Party. But don’t expect the MSM to search for the common thread, other than Cain himself, under direct orders from their masters in the Democratic Party propaganda machine.

I wonder why none of the other candidates has been smeared with alleged hanky-panky? Could it be that, because Cain is a black, this is the way to confirm a white man’s worst nightmare, that blacks just can’t keep it in their pants so are a danger to every white woman in existence?

Talk about racists! Only a Democrap liberal/statist/elitist member of the arrogancia could come up with that one, which is probably why it came out of the WH and Axelturf’s office.