Brokered GOP convention possible?

Posted by: ST on February 27, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Nope, not saying I want one.  In fact, I’m praying we DON’T have one – but the thought amongst some of our fellow political junkies is that we’ll have one, considering the three way battle going on with our presidential nominee contenders … a battle that appears to have no end in sight.  Newt is trailing right now but is expected to do well in some of the Super Tuesday states next week. Santo is poised for a  possible surprise Michigan win tomorrow while Romney is predicted to win Arizona (also tomorrow) handily.

I’m a bit fatigued and feeling a little sickly tonight – and suffering from mild Campaign 2012 burnout, so my plan is to plop myself down on the couch with the cell phone for Tweeting purposes, and watch the night time running of the Daytona 500.  So I’m leaving the floor to y’all this evening:

What are your thoughts on the possibility of a brokered GOP convention? Would you be comfortable with it should it come to that?

9 Responses to “Brokered GOP convention possible?”

Comments

1. I think that we are now at a 25% chance of such a convention — and i am hoping for one. I’m really beginning to wonder if any of the current 4 candidates can win.

Ron Paul is a loon.

Newt is obnoxious and disliked.

Rick is off in the weeds focusing on social issues.

Mitt is being nibbled to death by all sides and beloved to no one.

The question is, who would we be able to unite behind?

2. Chris in NC says:

If it gets us someone like a Paul Ryan or even a Christie, I’m all for it. That will put up a very electable candidate and so late that the dems will be hard pressed to turn over every rock in the 2 months before the election. As it stands now, they have already turned over all the rocks needed and already banked a ton of dirt on Newt, Rick, Mitt and Ron. Making all the research go to waste would be outstanding especially when Paul Ryan or Chris Christie or Mitch Daniels or someone rips Obama a new one. Bring it on please!

3. Casey says:

Just a teensy little mathematical note.

Right now Romney has 123 delegates, Newt 46, Santorum 44, Paul 36. The winner needs 1,144 delegates. Mmmkay? The front-runner doesn’t even have 11% yet. And we won’t see any of the big states until Super Tuesday. The biggest primaries won’t be until April.

This thing is still wide-open, and treating Romney as inevitabre is foorish.

I still like Gingrich, and I’m very unhappy with Romney’s damn-fool high-volume negative campaign against him. I would suggest Mittens’ mudslinging has helped Santorum as much as it hurt Newt, since it makes Santorum look classier.

I’m not too fussed about any given candidates “negatives,” as whoever gets the nod will be subject to the nastiest slime-slinging the Obama White House can devise. It’s going to make what Romney has done look wholesome. To a certain degree, they’re all screwed in that respect. /:) It is one reason I like Newt, ‘cuz he’s a scrapper, and damn good at it.

4. Drew the Infidel says:

The election is nine months away, a long time by any definition. It is way too early to be getting anxious. But I would suggest that in the final analysis the candidates are running against Obhammud. They need to stop attacking one another by presenting their own visions and goals for this country, pointing out BO’s many shortcomings.

The problem of presenting visions for any of the four remaining candidates is that they have no presentable clear vision, at least not that the public would buy into.

Paul, for instance, would present an entirely isolationist United States that couldn’t trade with the rest of the world, a stupid, economically masochistic vision.

Mittens would present an ever-increasing nanny state. Not real popular with the base, and wouldn’t get him any donkey votes because Obhammud is the real deal, not the Romney knock-off.

Gingrich is Gingrich. He has an occasional brilliant moment but his “big picture” constant is so convoluted nobody can or wants to understand it.

And Rick, he doesn’t even understand the silver platter of an economy that the jackasses have handed the Republicans. Not that I have a problem with social issues, that’s one of the problems I have with both Mittens and the Ronulan, but the campaign is about the economy and that’s the only thing that will move the number of voters to the polls needed to win.

So yeah, I wouldn’t mind a brokered convention, except that the establishment will contort the rules in such a way that some moderate/liberal/nanny-statist (like Coulter’s dream lover) would walk away with the nomination, and I don’t cotton to that at all.

6. Tango says:

I can understand my fellow Republicans being anxious for a nominee to rally behind. But it is still far too early, folks! An awful lot can (and with certainty WILL) happen between now and upcoming summer. The world will not take a time out in order to allow Barry to campaign on those issues he is “comfortable” with. I expect the long knives to come out against which ever GOP candidate appears to be going the distance. And in the same vein, Barry will almost certainly manage to bungle a least a few things that the MSM won’t be able to whitewash.

Hey- remember back in 2008 when Hillary was considered a shoe-in because “it was her TURN.”

7. Casey says:

@Carlos, no problem. We craft a vision after the convention.

You’re welcome. :)

8. EBL says:

Einstein defined insanity as…

So I welcome a brokered convention to stir up the thinking…