BREAKING: Rick Santorum to suspend campaign (UPDATED)

Posted by: ST on April 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

No story just yet on the Fox News website but they’ve confirmed it. Rumors had been circulating for days that Santorum would suspend or exit the campaign, after the latest instance of his daughter Bella being admitted to the hospital. She was released last night.

I won’t be able to update this until later today. Stay tuned to Fox News for the latest developments.

Update – 5:16 PM: The NYT Caucus Blog has more:

3:08 p.m. | Updated Rick Santorum suspended his presidential campaign on Tuesday, bowing to the inevitability of Mitt Romney’s nomination and ending his improbable, come-from-behind quest to become the party’s conservative standard-bearer in the fall.

“We made a decision over the weekend, that while this presidential race for us is over, for me, and we will suspend our campaign today, we are not done fighting,” Mr. Santorum said.

Mr. Santorum made the announcement at a stop in his home state of Pennsylvania after a weekend in which he tended to his 3-year-old daughter, Bella, who had been hospitalized with pneumonia.

Mr. Santorum, who was holding back tears, did not exactly specify why he was ending his presidential bid. He referred to his daughter’s illness, but said she was making great progress and was back home after being hospitalized over the weekend.

Mr. Santorum called Mr. Romney earlier in the day to tell him of his plans to suspend his campaign. Mr. Santorum told Mr. Romney that he is committed to defeating President Obama, but that he is not going to endorse immediately, said a source familiar with the call.

I share Michelle Malkin’s sentiment about Santorum:

Thanks and prayers to Santorum and his family for their energy and passion and dedication to defending life, prosperity, and the American Dream. With a fraction of the money and air time, Santorum came from nowhere to become the most formidable challenger to Mitt Romney through hard work and faith.

I heard Newt Gingrich on Sean Hannity’s radio show earlier this afternoon, and he is continuing to vow to stay in the race until the convention. He also asserted that he and Mitt Romney had vowed to run more “positive” campaigns going forward because ultimately this is about defeating Obama and not tearing down the eventual GOP nominee.

It’s all over but the crying at this point, folks. Mitt Romney is going to be our nominee.

*Deep breaths*

7 Responses to “BREAKING: Rick Santorum to suspend campaign (UPDATED)”

Comments

1. Wendy says:

While I appreciate your passion – neither Rick Santorum or Newt Gingrich were going to prevail. Summarizing what Ed Rollins said just after the announcement (among other things) – they gave it a good shot. I don’t like that huge amounts of money are required but that’s reality. It’s very important that we have someone who has a chance at beating President Obama – as much as I would like to live in an ideal world – it just isn’t so. Not just for political reasons but for family reasons as well,I believe Rick Santorum did the right thing. His family is far more important.

2. Great White Rat says:

It’s not just the money; it’s the organization.

Santorum didn’t have the infrastructure in place to capitalize on any positive breakthroughs. For some time we’ve been reading abpout states where he isn’t even on the ballot, or has no slate of delegates, simply because they didn’t plan that far ahead. I get the impression they never expected the groundswell of support they ulitmately got.

Well, OK, Romney then. Time to see what promising congressional and Senate candidates need support.

3. Tex says:

Like it or not, Romney appears to have the best chance of defeating Obama in November because he has the best chance of pulling more Independents away from voting for Obama than does Santorum or Gingrich. Its all about the Independents this time, who are not all that Conservative, nor all that Liberal either. Simply whoever gets the most Independents wins – that’s why they’re called Swing Voters.

For those who just can’t stomach Romney because they think he’s way too Liberal, he couldn’t possibly be as Liberal as Obama is, and all those department heads he would appoint as President, couldn’t possibly be as Liberal as all those department heads Obama put in place.

Romney is not my dream candidate but I would rather have 4 years of Romney and any conservatives he brings to the administration rather than 4 more years of Obama, Joking Joe, the Socialists, and the pure Communists now in control.

We’re heading into crunch time here very soon. Republicans need to start focusing their sharp tongues and piercing eyes on Obama rather than on each other.

4. Mitch says:

It is a sadness to me. My first choice was Gingrich. I wanted an attack dog and that is what Gingrich is. Santorum for me was a fall back position. But I admire the man for his beliefs. i’m sorry, but Romney is Milktoast. The Obama machine has been gearing up for almost a year now to defeat this one man. He won’t go three rounds.
    I appreciate all your comments. I appreciate your hopes for the future of this country. But the game is over. You want Romney for your candidate? Welcome to four more years of Communism. Maybe more, actually. You don’t like the Monkey? Get used to him. He’s going to be here for awhile. This election is over. Look for another solution.

5. Drew the Infidel says:

I had thought if Santorum wanted to salvage his political career this would be a gracious way to go out. He faced a potential second devastating rejection by the voters of his home state but has instead turned a negative into a positive.

I’m not so pessimistic about Romney. There are millions more like me who would vote for Jack the Ripper before Obhammud.

6. CZ says:

He was a gadfly. Good riddance. What took so long?

7. Wendy says:

Looks like the majority of the commenters are realists – I don’t want an “attack” dog – I want someone who is Presidential and can address our problems and try to turn them around. No one ever said it would be easy to run against Mr. Obama – but I refuse to lay down and raise a white flag.