Posted by: ST on April 12, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Hah. I love it:

The Obama campaign was scrambling Thursday to distance itself from comments made by a top Democratic strategist who accused Ann Romney, wife of presumptive GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, of having “never worked a day in her life.”

“Guess what, (Romney’s) wife has actually never worked a day in her life,” Hilary Rosen said Wednesday evening on CNN.

Romney immediately responded with a debut tweet, sparking a Twitter storm.

“I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys,” tweeted Romney, a 64-year-old mother of five and grandmother of 16. “Believe me, it was hard work.”

Top Obama campaign officials then took to Twitter in an attempt to distance themselves and the re-election effort from Rosen’s comments.

“I could not disagree with Hilary Rosen any more strongly. Her comments were wrong and family should be off limits. She should apologize,” Obama campaign manager Jim Messina said in a tweet.

Obama campaign strategist David Axelrod tweeted: “Also Disappointed in Hilary Rosen’s comments about Ann Romney. They were inappropriate and offensive.”

Rosen continued to tweet herself, adding, “I’ve nothing against @AnnRomney. I just don’t want Mitt using her as an expert on women struggling $ to support their family. She isn’t.”

And later: “@AnnDRomney Please know, I admire you. But your husband shouldn’t say you are his expert on women and the economy,” Rosen tweeted.

Ms. Rosen’s finding out the hard way that it’s a bit crowded underneath Team Obama’s bus these days. ;)

As I wrote last night on Twitter, Rosen’s not upset that she said what she did – and obviously is not apologetic. What she’s upset about is that she got caught verbalizing how the more radical “feminists” in this country feel about women who choose to be stay at home mothers, regardless of their income status.  John Kerry’s wife Teresa made similar comments about Laura Bush during the 2004 presidential campaign:

“Well, you know, I don’t know Laura Bush. But she seems to be calm, and she has a sparkle in her eye, which is good,” Heinz Kerry said. “But I don’t know that she’s ever had a real job — I mean, since she’s been grown up. So her experience and her validation comes from important things, but different things.”

So much for “freedom of choice”, hmm?

BTW, let’s give a round of applause to Ms. Rosen for helping unite conservatives around Mitt Romney, something the man himself has a lot of trouble doing.  Thanks, gal! =d>

UPDATE (Phineas): Can you say “backfire?” According to an informal Washington Post poll, more than 95% side with Ann Romney. The Romney campaign really ought to send Ms. Rosen flowers — and aspirin to Team Obama. (via Bryan Preston)

20 Responses to “#WarOnWomen rhetoric disintegrates with Dem strategist’s cheap shot at Ann Romney”

Comments

1. Great White Rat says:

When I read that line, I didn’t think about this in the context of any so-called “War On Women”. My first thought is that it was a perfect description of Barack Obama.

2. Drew says:

Eh….do you believe, that, eh…..women should be uh educate?

:d

3. RickS says:

So, this Rosen lady actually gets paid for her PR skills? Mmmmkay.

4. Wendy says:

They deserve all the heat they get from this. While I believe that many don’t comprehend the challenges of being a mom – much less a working mom (many times not by choice) – Mom’s should NEVER be judged by the decision they made about working or not working. I have worked with so many young women and have a daughter who would love to be able to stay at home – sometimes there just aren’t enough $$$ to be a stay at home Mom – not because of bad choices, simply reality.

I hope the attacks against the “supposed war on women” really hurt the standing of those trying to profit off it and that includes President Obama.

5. Hello ST site. Long time no comment.

In the all-out Obama re-election barrage, they will send up ten thousand flaming trial balloons. If several thousand get shot down, and folks go down with them, that’s the costs of war; the ones that get through are all that matter, those themes and memes which can be fanned to successful distraction and society-disruptive insanity to suit their ends.

Wrote the above, then I found that John Nolte at Breitbart noted that “in a speech last Friday at ‘The White House Forum on Women and the Economy,’ President Obama seemed to be laying the groundwork for exactly this attack.”

6. SpideyTerry says:

Who would’ve ever guessed that picking on a mother of five that survived breast cancer and is battling MS would not be good PR? Oh yeah, anyone with half a brain.

My first thought is that it was a perfect description of Barack Obama.

Or his wife! Or half the damn administration.

7. Mitch says:

It is an incredible place we find ourselves in here, a few months away from an election that will decide the future of this country we all love. We will either remain a free country or we will embrace Communism. I know, Communism is a hard word. Many of you have a problem with it. You like Socialism instead. Search your brain. Is there really any difference between the two? Not if you are as intelligent as I think you are.

Ann Romney is a Mother. A grandmother. Those things used to mean something in this country. I have no problem with strong women who want to pursue a career in their chosen field. My wife has a five year degree in Architecture from Kent State. She has more intelligence than Obama ever dreamed of. Compared to my wife, Obama is a blithering idiot. But he’s President of the United States of America and we are struggling to pay our bills. Go figure.

But my problem with all of this is a Christian problem. There is simply no higher service to America than Mothers raising the children who will one day run this country, so that the rest of us can continue to enjoy Freedom. I like Freedom. In my time on this planet, I have grown used to it. I would hate to live without it. Obama would certainly like me to live without it. He has put in place policies that almost guarantee it. But, I don’t think so. I call him the Monkey he is. You might have a problem with that. I have no problem with it whatsoever. I believe in Freedom. He believes in the absolute opposite of Freedom. I hate him, he hates me and people like me. At least we understand each other.

@Mitch: “Compared to my wife, Obama is a blithering idiot.”

Compared to my dog, he’s a blithering idiot! And I suspect his wife is the smarter of the two, probably at least a C- student in high school, and an obviously successful affirmative action activist in college.

And anyone who has had to run a family of seven, budget for that family (including budgeting for the mortgage), the meals, the gas for the cars, make sure all school costs are covered, etc., knows more about budgeting than this idiot Rosen ever will.

9. Mitch says:

Carlos, as always, you bring an interesting point to the conversation. There is no difference really, between the ordinary family in America and the Federal Damned Government. We each have only so much money to spend on the obligations that confront us. We each have to be careful with what resources we have to be extremely careful to not over spend the resources available to us. I think most American families try their very best to meet that requirement . The Federal Damned Government could care less. Why? Because it’s not their money. it’s your money and my money. They couldn’t care less about your money and my money., Because they didn’t earn it in the first place. The whole scheme of a Federal Government taxing people on the efforts of their labors is intrinsically an abortion of human decency. But, it all started with King Henry and somehow, we got used to it.
    Obama is nothing more than King Henry, here again to haunt us from the grave.
    Just a slight difference. A little more Chocolate, but a lot more Communist .

10. tommy mc donnell says:

so far the obama campaign has given a class war, a race war, now a gender war, all we need now is a war between the generations and obama will have completed the entire marxist divide and conquer strategy. so much for the great uniter.

11. tommy mc donnell says:

mitch…its not the federal government, its the american politican.

12. Drew the Infidel says:

It gets worse. Thursday night, Greta van Susteren was actually defending Rosen by saying she knows her personally (I wouldn’t be telling that) and we all misunderstood her true intent. Karl Rove took her to task over that. I’m tired as all hell of condescending media figures and Obama acolytes telling us how intellectually deficient we are in being unable to recognize thinly veiled threats to the Supreme Court and direct personal insults such as this.

13. Ken66 says:

Can’t go after the man? Go after his family. Hilary Rosen isn’t fit to be on the same planet as Ann Romney.

14. Kate in MI says:

didn’t they go after Sarah Palin for not ‘staying home and taking care of her kids’? even the one they accuse her of covering up for-leftists saying the youngest wasn’t really hers…
    sigh.
    thank God I had a stay at home mom-the best-and she explained to me this morning that she defintely worked-wringer washer, no microwaves, hanging clothes outside, baking and cooking from scratch, taking care of the gardens.
    yup. sounds like a lazy, soap opera watching lounger, doesn’t it?
    as a member of the class of ’75 at MSU-we were taught that all women were to be respected…
    Kate in MI

15. Kate says:

Shades of Sarah Palin….but, Rosen did verbalize a slur against women who made the choice to stay at home and raise a family. Any other type of slur would be considered a hate crime…so I will consider it the same. Rosen made a Freudian slip…letting us know how she really feels about women (of means or otherwise) to raise their own children and run a household.

This is troubling, but not something we all don’t understand about how progressives feel about the role of women and their determination to have the state decide what is best for our children, etc. She had made a judgement against the type of women who show they can be resourceful and responsible enough to live on one salary. So many of us have had to do just that, and we volunteer in school, church and commmunity in our free time, too. We support our children and husbands for the betterment of all. I don’t ever hear any award winning Hollywood/sports figure type who wins at anything ever thank the government for where they are today. Think abou that lefties.

16. CaMom says:

Drew the Infidel – We never, ever, ever, watch Greta Van Sustern when she’s on. Just can’t stand looking at her, and her voice grates on my last nerve. But my husband turned the TV on just as she was discussing the Rosen situation with Karl Rove, and I honestly couldn’t believe what I was hearing!! I think it’s a good thing Rove was in another studio, because it seemed he was having a hard time containing himself!! Greta was commenting on what she’d READ – she READ Rosen’s comments, meaning she could put her own spin on the words. No TV or computer available to her? So she could see the expressions on Rosen’s face? So she could HEAR her voice??? Very stupid of Greta… She needs to apologize to the American people for that.

First, Obama is now backtracking on this trial balloon at 300 MPH because he knows his family is just about to become fair game, now that he’s started with the wife-bashing-by-proxy. My gosh, the way he makes it sound he’s just as soon be doin’ all their cookin’ and cleanin’ for ‘em ’cause stay-at-home moms are such saints!

What a worthless piece of pig poop the guy is.

And second, it is more and more obvious that FNC has slid pretty much into the LSM. Maybe on the right side of it, but it’s becoming more and more difficult to justify getting news and commentary from there, as opposed to the rest of the alphabets, abccbsnbccnnpmsnbcetcetc.

18. Drew the Infidel says:

@CaMom–I’ve learned my lesson. The last time I tuned in to Greta was just exactly that: the last damned time!

19. Jiji says:

Sadly I think some of the comments here about Greta are true. I was so disappointed in her that it put a damper on the rest of my evening. Like Rosen she needs to monitor what comes out of her mouth.

And might I dare say that as far as I know none of the Romney children spent millions of our taxpayer dollars fro a recent vacation in Mexico.

20. Wendy says:

My husband and I really like Greta – I agree – she was off base on the Rosen matter. We were commenting as she “argued” with Karl Rove – come on Greta – you are making excuses, but overall I believe she is fair to most. I appreciate different points of view – even on Fox – In this instance Ms. Rosen is a personal friend and while Greta did say her comments weren’t very well said – she’s human – she was trying to make excuses for a friend. That is something all of us do – may not be right and it certainly did affect her objectivity on the subject (if you deny that you ever do that – then you are not being honest yourself!). Greta did acknowledge that she believed the Democrats were responsible for the manufactured “war on women” mess that likely led to this incident. On a different note – I really appreciate her coverage of government waste – right now that being the GAS fiasco. She really is an advocate for the taxpayer and asks good questions.