Andy Griffith, 86, passes away

Posted by: ST on July 3, 2012 at 10:18 am

A beloved American actor has passed away – via WITN:

Former UNC President Bill Friday says Andy Griffith died this morning in Dare County. Friday, who is a close friend of the actor, confirmed that to WITN News.

Friday tells us the 86-year-old actor died at his Dare County home around 7:00 a.m. this morning.

Griffith was born in Mount Airy, and is most known for his television role as “Andy Taylor” from 1960 to 1968.

“Mayberry’s” not the only town mourning the loss of “Sheriff Taylor” this morning.

I have been a devoted fan of Griffith’s show for ages, its lessons timeless. I don’t even know right now how to write a fitting, proper tribute – except to say he will be sorely missed, and his body ofacting work will never be forgotten, not by his North Carolina fans, nor the millions of fans he has worldwide.

RIP, sir.

Thoughts and prayers are with Griffith’s family.

11 Responses to “Andy Griffith, 86, passes away”

Comments

1. Jim McDonald says:

America’s favorite Father had a good long life, and passed as beloved family. RIP

2. Joseph says:

I had just finished watching Matlock when I heard the news. During its eight-year run in the 1960s, The Andy Griffith Show never finished out of the Nielsens’ top ten and only twice finished out of the top five. It was #1 in its last season on the air. RIP!

3. mike says:

Today I’m going to visit Franklin Canyon Park here in Los Angeles, where Opie skipped the stone across the lake.

RIP Sheriff Taylor, End of Watch 7/3/12

4. redgypsy says:

One of my favorite actors. Always classy.
    Prayers for his family.

5. Zippy says:

Grew up with Sheriff Andy on TV. Loved the show, always a gentleman. God rest his soul.

And of course, Matlock is another great show in reruns!

6. Bubba says:

Well, at least we won’t have to grit our teeth this fall as Andy and Ron Howard do TV endorsements of Obama …. again.

7. Iva Biggin says:

Sorry to say it but he lost me when he made those pro obonzo-care ads. I really used to love the guy though..

8. Great White Rat says:

I’m clearly in the minority, but I never really liked his acting. Neither of his shows interested me much. And, like many others, I found it distasteful when he turned into a shill for ObamaTax.

That said, condolences and prayers for his family in their time of grief.

9. Joseph says:

I didn’t much care for his politicking either (“Damn Southerners!”, he was heard to exclaim after hearing that JFK had been assassinated), but I try to separate the politics of the man from the fictional characters he made popular, especially, of course, Sheriff Taylor.

One of the best monologues ever made was his “What it was, it was Football” from the 1950s. Classic.

But it’s too bad the man was a mental midget politically, with a social norms IQ of around 2. His politics sucked as much as his Dear Leader.