Posted by: ST on December 6, 2012 at 10:49 am

Wowsers! Did not see this one coming:

Can’t really say that I blame him. IMO, you can get done more when you’re not an elected official than when you are. Being elected means being bound by the one-sided rules on political correctness.

The good news is that Gov. Nikki Haley (R) would get to appoint a replacement. Thoughts on who she should? Twitter is abuzz with the possibility of Rep. Tim Scott being in the running. Can you imagine the liberal heads that would explode if she did that? ;)

Update: Here’s the official announcement of the DeMint resignation.

9 Responses to “BREAKING: Senator DeMint to leave the Senate in January to head Heritage Foundation”

Comments

1. banshee says:

Wow! I wish him the best. At least he won’t be in the position of refusing to attend CPAC next time.

2. Phineas says:

Wow is right and, while this is great for Heritage, what a loss it is for the Senate. I liked De Mint there a lot. I wonder how much of this has to do with his thinly disguised disgust at the Boehner-McConnell efforts to be “reasonable” with Obama? And I wonder who takes over the Senate Conservatives PAC?

Tim Scott would be a great replacement, btw.

3. chsgeecheegirl says:

I am stunned! I understand why he is doing it but just did not see this coming, no one here in Charleston did! Tim Scott would be amazing but I sure would miss him her as my State Rep! Buzz right now is who would replace Tim!

4. Great White Rat says:

Whoa….did NOT see this coming at all. I understand how principled conservatives like DeMint can get discouraged by the nonsense that goes on in DC, but America does need those kinds of men and women there to keep up the good fight.

That said, I really like the idea of Tim Scott as the replacement. Not just for his principles, but to watch the moonbats bouncing off the walls trying to deal with it.

5. Drew the Infidel says:

It is comforting to know he is simply shifting theaters instead of leaving the fight altogether. His is the type we need staying around. Smart money says he will be a regular interviewee on Fox.

6. Cube says:

I seem to recall something about not needing a title to make a difference…. Can’t remember where, though. (just kidding)

7. Drew the Infidel says:

Demint was interviewed at length on FNC’s Special Report yesterday and convincingly laid out the GOP recognition of its necessity to repackage its brand. He made it clear conservatives needed to change their approach to delivering their message. It’s like a football team; if you keep on doing what you’ve always done, all you’re going to get is what you’ve always gotten.