#Benghazi: consulate staff pleaded for help during attack

Posted by: Phineas on November 20, 2013 at 3:20 pm

**Posted by Phineas

American Blood, US Consulate, Benghazi

American Blood, US Consulate, Benghazi

It’s enough to make one want to punch a wall in frustration:

State Department employees at the Benghazi compound knew they were in a death trap and made a series of radio distress calls to the CIA annex during the terror assault last year, according to congressional sources familiar with recent testimony on the attack from five CIA personnel.

Sources told Fox News that the radio calls, which were described in closed testimony before the House Intelligence Committee, were characterized as almost frantic, with State Department employees who knew they could not defend themselves “pleading” for their lives.

Let me interrupt for a moment to state something we all know in our hearts is true: If this had happened under George W. Bush, those Americans would not have had to beg for help. The operatives at the Annex would not have been told to stand down and they would not have had to defy orders in order to help those trapped at the consulate. Whatever his other failings, Bush understood a commander-in-chief’s  duties.

Unlike certain other Savior-Presidents I can think of.

Back to the story:

When the CIA team arrived from the annex about a mile away, they found the State Department employees without guns that could adequately protect them; one of the agents was found hiding in the consulate, apparently in a closet. The testimony lends more weight to repeated claims, in the wake of the attack, that the consulate was not adequately protected despite being located in a volatile and violent area prone to attack.

When the CIA personnel were asked for their reaction to the administration’s initial explanation that an anti-Islam video and a demonstration gone awry were to blame for the attack, Fox News is told they were seething with anger because everything on the ground — from their perspective — showed it was a premeditated attack.

At least three of the five — who were all in Benghazi — responded to the scene that night. The witnesses testified that five mortars rained down on the annex in less than a minute. They pointed to those details as more evidence of a professionally trained team, describing the attack on the annex as akin to a professional hit on the operation in order to drive it out of Benghazi.

Emphasis added. Be sure to read the rest. The testimony of the CIA personnel comports with the analysis given by Lt. Col. Wood in the now-retracted “60 Minutes” story on Benghazi. It also supports the contention of Dylan Davies, the British security specialist at the center of the “60 Minutes” controversy, that the consulate, located in a known al Qaeda recruiting area, was woefully insecure in spite of repeated requests to Washington for upgrades.

An article from yesterday, also by Catherine Herridge, raises new questions about the role of former CIA Director Gen. David Petraeus, whose testimony in 2012 was strongly contradicted by that of the survivors of the battle:

This testimony is seen by lawmakers as more overwhelming evidence that the attack was premeditated terrorism and that these facts were known almost immediately by then-CIA Director David Petraeus – who downplayed the skill and planning needed to use mortars with such accuracy during his Sept. 14, 2012 briefing to Congress.

Somehow, I think the relevant committees of the House will have new questions for the disgraced war hero.

The central issue here, however, is the incompetence bordering on malfeasance on the part of both Hillary Clinton and President Obama. The State Department under Clinton was almost bloody-minded in its refusal to provide adequate security for a post that was effectively in daily contact with the enemy. And President Obama failed utterly in his duties to oversee our interests in a nation where he had overthrown the government and created a client state. Why wasn’t he verifying that Benghazi had sufficient protection? Why didn’t he make sure there was a sufficient force on standby to come to the aid of a station in hostile territory?

Wait. What am I saying? There was fundraising to be done!

Obama, Clinton, and their immediate advisers are absolute disgraces to their offices and an embarrassment to the nation. We’re stuck with Obama until January, 2017, but Hillary Clinton should be confronted with her catastrophic incompetence at every chance until she is finally and thankfully hounded from public life.

(Crossposted at Public Secrets)

RSS feed for comments on this post.

4 Responses to “#Benghazi: consulate staff pleaded for help during attack”

Comments

  1. The terrorists responsible for this attack were using social media to state their intentions. The British and International Red Cross installations had already come under attack as far back as April and had vacated the area.

    Not a soul in the Obhammud administration seemed to appreciate the significance of the 9/11 anniversary to these savages and seem oblivious to the fact that timidity invites violence.

    Again:
    “For there is nothing hid, except to be made manifest; nor is anything secret, except to come to light.”–Mark 4:22

  2. Sefton says:

    Next up is the sellout of our troops in Afghanistan following the end of combat operations.
    Security ops and “advisor” stations left behind are going to end up fending for themselves as this administration leaves them hanging when the Taliban offensive begins.

  3. Steph says:

    You know what? These two (O and Clinton) are murderers in my opinion. At least these two if not the Secretary of Defense, Petraeus and others should be tried as well. This “phony scandal” as stated by O is a “REAL” scandal and they all have gotten away with flat-out murder of at least 4 Americans not to mention the innocent Libyans that died that night. When is Congress going to grow some and DO something about this? Enough of the “special committees”!! We know what happened and taking more testimony won’t make it any better. I am so frustrated by all these scandals especially those that involved deaths of innocent Americans. What is worse is what is coming: those who will die due to O’care. You know it’ll happen – I am not talking about “death panels” either. I mean January 2014 when people undergoing care for critical, terminal diseases will not have insurance and not be able to continue their care. Those that die will just put more blood on O’s hands.

  4. @Steph–Agreed. At the very least in a civilian court they would be facing charges of negligent homicide.