Quote of the Day: Jonah Goldberg on the left’s definition of “diversity”

Posted by: ST on February 22, 2014 at 11:31 am
Jonah Goldberg

National Review’s Jonah Goldberg.

It’s getting bad out there, folks:

Cancel the philosophy courses, people. Oh, and we’re going to be shuttering the political science, religion, and pre-law departments too. We’ll keep some of the English and history folks on for a while longer, but they should probably keep their résumés handy.

Because, you see, they are of no use anymore. We have the answers to the big questions, so why keep pretending there’s anything left to discuss?

At least that’s where Erin Ching, a student at Swarthmore College, seems to be coming down. Her school invited a famous left-wing Princeton professor, Cornel West, and a famous right-wing Princeton professor, Robert George, to have a debate. The two men are friends, and by all accounts they had an utterly civil exchange of ideas. But that only made the whole thing even more outrageous.

“What really bothered me is, the whole idea is that at a liberal arts college, we need to be hearing a diversity of opinion,” Ching told the Daily Gazette, the school’s newspaper. “I don’t think we should be tolerating [George’s] conservative views because that dominant culture embeds these deep inequalities in our society.”

Swarthmore must be so proud.

Over at Harvard, another young lady has similar views. Harvard Crimson editorial writer Sandra Y. L. Korn recently called for getting rid of academic freedom in favor of something called “academic justice.”

“If our university community opposes racism, sexism, and heterosexism, why should we put up with research that counters our goals simply in the name of ‘academic freedom’?” Korn asks.

Goldberg goes on to add more examples of this fascistic train of thought, and finishes with this:

More pernicious, however, is that they believe the question of justice is a settled matter. We know what justice is, so why let serious people debate it anymore? The millennia-old dialogue between Aristotle, Plato, St. Augustine, Aquinas, Machiavelli, Rawls, Rorty, Hayek et al.? Shut it down, people. Or at least if the conversation heads in a direction where the Korns, Chings, and Streisands smell “oppression” — as defined solely by the Left — then it must not be “put up with.” Diversity demands that diversity of opinion not be tolerated anymore.

Indeed.

I’ve noted here and elsewhere numerous times (and have included examples) about how modern liberals are some of the most intolerant, closed-minded people you will ever come across – in spite of popular myth (as routinely and eagerly perpetuated by their allies in the mainstream press) to the contrary.   And as Goldberg pointed out, some of the worst of it comes from our institutions of “higher learning” – you know, the places you’re supposed to go to learn how to think outside of the box?  And once they graduate, they move on to bigger and better attempts at shutting down debate by declaring any attempts you make at preserving your right to speak out, think differently,observe your religious beliefs, and hold on to more of the money you earn as the equivalent to “racism, homophobia, sexism”, etc – as we’re seeing play out in states like Kansas and right here in NC.

In a nutshell: “diversity” to the left is not diversity at all. Was having a bit of a discussion with a friend here in NC about this, and her comment to me was that unfortunately this type of thing will never change – and in fact appears to be getting worse, but as I told her, that doesn’t mean we should ever stop raising hell about it.  You know what they say about sunlight …

11 Responses to “Quote of the Day: Jonah Goldberg on the left’s definition of “diversity””

Comments

1. Phineas says:

…and in fact appears to be getting worse

I don’t know if it’s getting worse, so much as coming out more into the open. I can remember this kind of garbage when I was in college in the late 70s/early 80s. (1900s, not 1800s. ;) ) What’s different now is that, for a number of reasons, the dominant cultural left in higher education is being challenged more often and is lashing out. In that sense, they’re just being goaded into showing their true faces.

And the ugliness thereof.

Our great Racist-Liar-Divider-Chump-in-Chief would probably agree and encourage those sophist idiots.

After all, it only makes it easier for him to force our nation (OUR nation, not his) into becoming a second-rate third-world banana republic.

3. Drew the Infidel says:

As a veteran and retired social studies teacher I somewhere along the line developed the weird philosophy that we are a nation of laws and not men. Maybe it’s just me.

Pardon me while I get ready to attend church, while it is still legal.

“Indeed all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceivers and deceived.”–2 Timothy 3:12-13

4. Xrlq says:

Drew: like you said, going to church is still legal, and a constitutionally protected right at that. I guess that means 2 Timothy 3:12-13 was wrong, then. Or have Xians become so sensitive that the mere rolling of one’s eyes counts as persecution?

5. @Xrlq–Have you not noticed the constitutional liberties under attack in this country instead of their being protected? To attempt to blame the membership of the NRA for incidents like Sandy Hook is the equivalent of saying every stiff that enjoys a cold beer on a hot day at Yankee Stadium is guilty of intoxication manslaughter.

6. Jane Galt says:

“Leftists are Totalitarians.”

You can quote me on that.

7. Xrlq says:

Yes, I have seen the usual suspects say the usual stuff, only to have Congress rightly tell them to pound sand. I’ve also seen the Seventh and Ninth Circuits order Illinois and California (and, by implication, Hawaii) to go shall-issue – something we now take for granted in most other states but that was never the case before the late 1980s. And religious freedom is stronger than ever, as well, with Arizona and others primed to take it to more ridiculous extremes.

8. Drew the Infidel says:

Tell that to the next Catholic you meet, preferably the Little Sisters of the Poor.

9. Tuerqas says:

Xrlq, are you trying to imply some link between your opinion of Drew’s comment and your opinion of the article? Or do you, by some machination, feel that Jonah Goldberg has any inaccuracies in his above statements? Or is this merely your attempt to salvage some lefty pride by nitpicking the commentary?

Just curious…I mean, I can shoot all kinds of holes in your ‘religious freedom is stronger than ever’ stupidity as easily as I could defend Goldberg’s opinions above, but I question the segue. Any comments on the post?

10. Xrlq says:

Tuerqas, my comment was directed to Drew’s butthurt over nothing. It had nothing to do with Goldberg’s article. I have no issues with what he wrote, except the subtle implication that it is only the left that does this. Both sides do.