Were deflated balls an issue in the #AFC championship game?

Posted by: ST on January 19, 2015 at 12:03 pm
Tom Brady

New England’s hottie QB Tom Brady.

Fox News reports on a developing story regarding the New England Patriots – decisive 45-7 winners over the Indianapolis Colts last night in the AFC championship battle – and allegations that deflated balls were in use during the game:

The NFL has confirmed it is looking  into charges the New England Patriots cheated Sunday night when they clinched a trip to the Super Bowl Sunday night by using deflated footballs.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed the probe Monday, following the AFC championship game, in which the Patriots demolished the Indianapolis Colts, 45-7. The charge was first made Sunday night, when an Indianapolis reporter that the NFL had seized at least one game ball from the AFC championship game to examine whether pigskins were intentionally deflated to make them easier to throw and catch.

“The NFL is investigating the possibility,” Bob Kravitz, of WTHR, tweeted, adding that, “at one point the officials took a ball out of play and weighed it.”

If the Patriots did cheat, it would not be the first time. The team was penalized a first-round draft pick, fined $250,000 and head coach Belichick was personally fined $500,000 after an investigation by the NFL determined the team had illegally videotaped their opponents hand signals during a 2007 game.

NE QB Tom Brady said the allegations of deflated balls were “ridiculous”

Tom Brady dismissed allegations that the New England Patriots under-inflated footballs in a morning interview with Boston radio station WEEI, calling the accusations “ridiculous”.

When asked if he had heard the story, Brady said: “No.”

The radio hosts then asked if he felt like the Patriots had an easier time gripping their footballs than the Colts did on Sunday night.

“I think I’ve heard it all at this point,” he said on the Dennis and Callahan Morning Show.

“That’s the least of my worries,” he added later. “I don’t even respond to stuff like this.”

My observations:

1) It’s highly unlikely “properly inflated balls” would have changed the outcome of the game. In other words, deflated balls or not, the Colts played a bad game all around and still would have lost – in my humble opinion.  Whether you like the Patriots or not – and I know there is a lot of Patriot dislike out there, for various reasons – I don’t think saying they still would have won is disputable.

2) It’ll be interesting to see what the results are of the investigation – and whether they will be announced before or after the Super Bowl, assuming the investigation is completed before the big game, which will be played on February 1st in Glendale, AZ, with defending champs the Seattle Seahawks as the Patriots’ opposition.

3) I dunno about “deflated balls” at this point, but I know a lot of egos are deflated this morning – like within the entire Green Bay Packers organization.  Out of respect for Packers fans, I won’t rehash what happened yesterday outside of declaring it one of the biggest “WTH HAPPENED??” moments in NFC championship game history.

What say you?

9 Responses to “Were deflated balls an issue in the #AFC championship game?”

Comments

1. ST says:

I’m gonna pretend I didn’t see that, RR!

2. Phineas says:

I’m just trying hard not to make a bad joke about the Colts suffering from deflated… Never mind. ;-)

3. Nate says:

We’re talking football, not Congress.

Right?

4. H Hazell says:

Even if NE played with deflated balls, their defense no sacks.

5. Drew the Infidel says:

If a team gets drubbed 45-7 then you would expect this sort of excuse-making. Excuse and not reason. They could have substituted hockey pucks for the footballs and the outcome would have been the same given how poorly the Colts played. BTW, I have 26 years coaching experience.

One thing no one is commenting on is the officiating crew. They handle the football at the start and end of every play. Had there been something amiss it is almost a lead pipe cinch this sort of thing would have been detected early on.

6. kevino says:

I agree that the Patriots had no reason to cheat against the Colts. Against the Ravens maybe, not not the lowly Colts. Esspecially since this was, presumably, to give them edge offensively. The Colts don’t have enough of a defense for the Patriots to worry about.

Regarding punishment: Taking away draft choices doesn’t do a thing as the Patriots don’t draft well of late. Their first round draft pick last year was pass-rushing specialist Easley [slow; prone to injury; made zero impact].

In 2013 their first two picks were Jamie Collins [good pick] and receiver Aaron Dobson [gag].

7. Dana says:

Somehow, I don’t see the Colts combitching that they were playing with deflated balls as manning up. :)

In the now-famous words of our hopefully-to-be-defeated primary Democrap presidential hopeful, “At this point, what difference does it make?”

When she uttered that nonsense, it made a lot of difference but the Elephant Democraps on the committee didn’t skewer her for it.

In this case, as noted above, they could have been using a hockey puck and the Pats still would have trounced the incompetent Luck & Gang.