On blog wars and death threats

Posted by: ST on November 11, 2005 at 11:08 am

(Click on the “READ MORE” link and scroll down for a Friday evening update)

Last night, I wrote a vague post asking for assistance on how to report a problem ISP#. I didn’t want to post the reason why until I had gotten the info I needed on the ISP#. Thank you to the very helpful reader/commenter who dug to get as much information on this ISP# as you could – I don’t know if you want to be mentioned by name … if you do, feel free to point it out in the comments section.

Last night around 6:45 someone attempted to post a comment on this blog that went beyond the usual crude and lewd. The comment included a death threat. The blogger (who I’ll call Blogger X) who posted the comment apparently thinks that he’s slick, but he’s not. What he attempted to do was impersonate a blogger (who I’ll call Blogger A) who I have had issues with in the past (and who has had issues with me as well) in an attempt to get Blogger A in trouble – apparently there is some sort of blog war going on, and I got thrust unwillingly in the middle by Blogger X. Though there is no love lost between myself and Blogger A, I’m fully aware that there is no way that Blogger A would have written what Blogger X did last night.

When anyone attempts to post a comment here, a feature of Word Press is that the ISP# of the person attempting to post is included in the comment. It’s something only the blogger sees; readers and commenters to the blog do not see it. A few things tipped me off to the fact that it wasn’t Blogger A who posted this comment but instead Blogger X. The first thing was that Blogger X used Blogger A’s real name. Blogger A does not attempt to post here using his real name. He does on his own blog, but not here and not at the Air America Radio blog … he is known there by the same name he has used here when he has attempted to post in the past. Blogger A’s posts don’t make it onto this blog because of the issues I have had with Blogger A in the past. But that being said, Blogger A is not so mean-spirited as to post what Blogger X attempted to post here last night. Another thing that tipped me off was the email address used – it was a fake address that was actually insulting to Blogger A, so again no way that Blogger A would have used that email address. The third thing that tipped me off was the ISP # itself. Blogger A’s ISP# does not match Blogger X’s in any way, shape or form. Lastly, the content of the message tipped me off that Blogger A had not posted it. Again, he and I may have serious issues with each other, but I’ve read enough of what he has had to say in the past to know that what was written last night in an attempt to get posted on this blog was not written by him. He might not like me, but he is not the type that would issue a death threat either.

Please click below where you see the “Read More” link to read what the actual message said. As you all know, I’m against posting profanity and obscenity on this blog, but I wanted to post the full message (minus the URLs, as I don’t want any attempts by anyone made to contact Blogger A over this because it’s not his fault in the first place – and while I know you would be well-intentioned, I don’t want anyone here getting in trouble on my behalf) .

Name: [Blogger A name deleted - ST]

E-mail: [Blogger A name deleted-ST]suckscock@suckcock.com

URI: [Blogger A blog URL deleted - ST]

IP: 12.106.193.32

I know it was you, you fucking whore bag, faggoty ass fuck shit bitch!

Did you do this?

[Blog site suspected to have been set up by Blogger X to impersonate Blogger A URL deleted by ST]

You and that fucking [suspected Blogger X name deleted - ST] from [suspected Blogger X URL deleted - ST]

You little shitbag fuckshit motherfuckers.

I will fucking kill you whore!

Blogger X is pretending to be Blogger A and accusing me of setting up the impersonator site.

I have serious issues with some things Blogger A has said about me in the past and as a result of that his comments don’t get posted here, but I didn’t let those issues stop me from emailing that blogger last night to alert him as to what happened so he (Blogger A) could take the appropriate action – if he wanted to – to have the impersonation blogsite of him deleted, as well as contacting the ISP to make them aware that some deranged person is going around to other blogs making death threats in his name. Even knowing what Blogger A has said about me in the past, he does not deserve this. What Blogger A chooses to do at this point about this impersonator is up to him. I will reply to his email later this morning to let him know that if he chooses to press forward with reporting this guy’s ISP# to the powers that be, that he can count on me if the ISP needs to contact me with any questions so this sick person can stop what he’s doing. Not only did Blogger X try to post that comment on my board last night, but he’s been posting sick messages at Blogger A’s blog for the last couple of days.

Thanks to the research a ST blog commenter did last night, I have enough information to proceed with reporting Blogger X to what I believe is his work ISP# as well as the ISP itself. I had wanted to do the reporting last night, but wanted to sleep on the information that the help commenter here sent to me before I composed anything formal. I report this information later today when I get the time to pool all the necessary information together. Not only do I have this person’s ISP, but I also have saved screencaps of the message he attempted to post, Sitemeter screencaps of his two attempted visits to my blog last night, as well as screencaps of his impersonator blog.

I know some of this still may sound vague, considering I left out blogger names and URLs, but that is the way it has to be for now. I am 99.9% sure Blogger X is behind this and want to take action via the proper channels to clear this up, rather than fan the flames between blogs. This is not a deliberate attempt to be mysterious nor intriguing, but instead this message is being posted to alert people who do this sort of thing that it will NOT be tolerated by me. Not now, not ever.

PM UPDATE: I rec’d a call late this afternoon from (if I recall the title correctly) the head of the IT department at the company in question. His response: “if this has come from one of my machines, the person is gone. This is completely unacceptable.” There is a possibility that the authorities will be contacted on this as well, most likely to put the fear of God into Blogger X.

He also asked if I wanted a follow up to find out what the results were of their investigation into the matter, and I told him yes. I’ll let you know more when I do. I’m very grateful to USIS for taking this issue seriously and would like to thank them in advance for the research they’ll be undertaking to find out who the culprit is.

22 Responses to “On blog wars and death threats”

Comments

1. PCD says:

I sincerely hope you called the police if Blogger X is in state or the FBI if not. This person needs some serious attention from the authorities, if not an involuntary visit to a suitable mental institution.

2. LCVRWC says:

Let me second PCD’s advice, ST. Death threats should be reported each and every time.

3. scmommy says:

Call the police. Death threats are a serious matter.

4. La Shawn says:

I got almost the exact same comment on my blog, but since it was a first-time commenter, it was held up in moderation. I’ve since blocked the effete idiot’s entire domain from accessing LBC. Go ahead and report the person, and if he’s commenting from work, forward to his boss, too.

5. Walter E. Wallis says:

Some people need to be banned from the internet for life.
    It is time to enact mandatory internet caller ID. Anonymnity is way over valued, and seldom worth the burdon it places on communication and internet trade.

6. MSDL5 says:

Hi,

I’m the one who provided the links to get the IP data… GOOD FOR YOU! I was exchanging emails with J-Pod about Harriet M. over at NRO a couple weeks ago when he got threats too. I gave him the same advice…. Report them pronto.

When someone threatens anyone over the web it is much worse than when they do it within your view. You have no idea who they are or if they will ever pop out from under a rock. It may be nothing, but people need to understand that their behavior online should be no different than in front of their friends and neighbors. (The legal consequences are the same if they threaten too)

7. Hi MSDL – I meant to thank you in the other thread for your helpful link. The person I was talking about in this thread, however, helped me over email and researched the ISP# to give me more info. Thanks again for your help as well.

8. Kevin says:

So the threat came from att2.tisi.com (via the nslookup command. It rocks). The current controller of the tisi.com domain is:

USIS COMMERCIAL SERVICES, INC. [deleted email per Kevin's request]
    4500 S. 129th E. Ave Suite 200
    TULSA, OK 74134
    918-664-8796

I think if you have the time of the posting, you can email the post with the time and ask [deleted email per Kevin's request] for the log file for att2.tisi.com traffic, since there was a threat in the letter.

I’m going to call her to find out, even if you don’t want to pursue this. I’m kinda curious :)

9. Kevin says:

Well, that was pretty interesting. Mary Meeps (who seems very nice) said she would be very interested in the details of this. She said she would be particularly concerned if it came from an employee. After I gave her the information I had, it sounded like it did, though she did not specifically say so.

Miss Toldjah, if you wish, she would definitely like to see the email as well as the tracking data and time of the post. Mail it [deleted email per Kevin's request].

Also, if you could delete her email address from my posts after you read this, I’d appreciate it. Otherwise a spam program might find it and increase her daily spam (I certainly don’t want to help any spammers).

Consider it done, Kevin. –ST

10. Thank you, Kevin. My email has been sent, including screencap attachments.

Thanks again to everyone who has assisted me in this matter. You guys (and gals) rock!

11. Kevin – BTW, I don’t have your email address … would you email me so I can thank you personally?? I promise I’m not a spammer (nor do I eat SPAM – hehe).

12. PCD says:

Nothing wrong with SPAM if you use it right. I like mine very thinly sliced and cooked over an open campfire. I use the resulting grease to do my powdered eggs with.

SPAM’s #1 overseas customer is South Korea. They consider it a delicacy.

13. Randy says:

Good for you! I have had to do the same type of research. Now, the very human part of me loved emailing the online bully his Employers information, phone number and the name of his manager. I asked him if he was prepared to explain to his employer his actions and he *begged* that I would not.

The dark side said “waste him!” and the better side said “I think he has learned his lesson.”

So I didn’t call his system administrator and he stopped harassing me and even said thank you for not doing what he probably would have done if the tables were reversed.

I pray that you have a similar result. I am so glad to have WordPress and actually you and I share the same bloghost. Lisa is also very helpful.

14. Dana R. Pico says:

Well, I guess that I can understand now why you have chosen to blog anonymously!

And it’s probably a good thing that you do: before you contacted his (possible) employer, it was just a threat, a vile one but (probably) not one which was ever actually intended to be carried out.

Now, his actions may have gotten him fired, something for which he will blame you. I’m guessing that you already thought about that, but if you are going to bring this issue up in public, it needs to be discussed thoroughly in public.

I’ve just enabled public comments on my website, and thus far haven’t gotten any negative ones. Of course, I’m way behind you in traffic (but I’ll catch you some day!), and such comments might come in the future; who can know now?

15. Dana R. Pico says:

PCD said:

I had heard of scrapple, but until I had moved up north, I’d never actually seen it before. These damned Yankees eat that stuff all the time! I was convinced that scrapple was made with the floor sweepings from the sausage house; since some of my new northern friends insisted, I tried it once, and yes, it tastes just like my description of its manufacture sounds like. Even Spamâ„¢is better!

You know, if’n only we’d won the War of Northern Aggression, the food would be better up here!

16. stackja says:

ST
    This whole thing leaves me speechless, the words used are what a small child uses, the child not knowing what they mean, if the Blogger X, is a supposed adult, there is as others commented, a need for a police action. Try and forget it and return when you want.

This is very bothersome. Who can understand the mind of someone so deceived. I hope this person has been turned into the authorities, and I hope the fear of God is put into them. – Lorica

18. benning says:

Dana, Dana, you poor misguided fool. Scrapple is delicious! Fried to a brown crunchiness, dabbed with a bit of ketchup, it’s sooooo good!

ST, you watch out! Don’t ever take threats less than seriously! Ever! Too many weirdos out there these days.

We luv ya!

19. Dana R. Pico says:

Benning:

Y’all put ketchup on scrapple to hide the taste of the floor sweepings.

20. benning says:

Heheheee! Okay, it’s an acquired taste. :razz:

21. Dana R. Pico says:

An acquired taste? What is an acquired taste? Isn’t that where you keep eating something that tastes like feces until you get sufficiently used to it so that you can eat it without making a face?:shock:

22. Appreciate the concern everyone, expressed both here in the comments and in email. Just trying to move forward at this point and hope the nonsense this clown is trying to pull stops soon.