Rep. J.D. Hayworth: Immigrants need to embrace U.S. culture

Posted by: ST on January 28, 2006 at 10:48 pm

Everytime I’ve seen Rep. J.D. Hayworth (R-AZ-5th district) interviewed many times in the past on Fox News and have been extremely impressed with his go-get-‘em-tell-it-like-it-is style of talking. A fine example of that can be found here in an opinion piece he wrote for the Arizona Republic newspaper on muliculturalism and how we’ve gotten away from assimilation here over the years – and are moving closer towards grouping ourselves in terms of race, religious beliefs, etc. He’s not advancing an idea of losing our individuality in order for some ‘collective good’, but instead harking back to the days when immigrants who came here became Americans – not just people from another country moving here to live:

Assimilation is the key to any successful immigration policy, and no country has succeeded in assimilating immigrants as well as the United States. Turning immigrants into Americans didn’t happen by accident but was the result of a comprehensive national effort called Americanization.

Sadly, Americanization has given way to an insidious multiculturalism. In the mid-1980s, the late Alistair Cooke, himself an immigrant, lamented the “general movement in the United States to unmelt the melting pot, to break down the goulash of the pot into its ethnic ingredients: to return, in short, to the immigrant compounds which Teddy Roosevelt was determined to fuse into one nation.”

With each passing day America is becoming more divided by ethnicity, race, language and income, a situation only exacerbated by illegal immigration. We all had a good laugh when Al Gore mangled the translation of E pluribus unum. “Out of one, many,” he goofed. But maybe he was just ahead of his time.

Hispanic immigrants have a harder time assimilating than other groups largely because the flood of illegal immigrants reinforces cultural and linguistic connections to “the old country.” It doesn’t help that they are force-fed a steady diet of multiculturalism and told by their own community leaders and our own anti-American elites that America is racist, sexist, intolerant and genocidal. And make no mistake, multiculturalism is the enemy of assimilation, and it can have devastating consequences, as we saw with riots outside Paris and the subway bombers in London.

Read the whole thing. This guy gets it.

Sidenote: Hayworth also has a book titled What It Takes: Illegal Immigration, Border Security and the War on Terror that looks like it would be well-worth reading. Guess I’ll be adding another book to my reading list :)

(Cross-posted at California Conservative)

Related Toldjah So posts:

86 Responses to “Rep. J.D. Hayworth: Immigrants need to embrace U.S. culture”

Comments

1. GBA: “Is this perhaps the “slippery slope of equality amongst men”? ”

ST: Is this perhaps “let’s see how many rhetorical questions GBA can ask in one day” day? This has nothing to do with equality and everything to do with changing the definition of something to the point it no longer has meaning.

Do you want to address the issue at hand, or do you want to sidetrack it into a discussion about gay marriage? Not a single person in this thread who has challenged me or those who agree with me on the issue of assimilation has addressed the issue from my initial post. Why is that?

2. Hull says:

I’m done.

I’d like to talk about assimilation and illegal immigration but the Kwanzaa attack is beyond the pale.

If Kwanzaa is racist so is Christmas and Hanukkah

Supporting Black people does not mean that you are racist against whites you . . . forget it.

“sister” told ja and PCD, you have shown yourself in these comments to be no better than Holocaust Deniers and Klan members.

Good Luck in life.

3. “I’m done.

If Kwanzaa is racist so is Christmas and Hanukkah

Good Luck in life. ”

Typical – you couldn’t address the substance of anything I said so you resort to ad hominem against both PCD and myself. Desperate measures by a desperate person unable to refute anything I’ve said.

I guess you don’t like it when the facts hit you in the face, do you?

Hasta la vista.

4. PCD says:

Hull, don’t run before you read the truth about Kwanzaa

I doubt Hull will be back. He’s been beaten and he isn’t accepting the defeat.

5. Hull says:

I thought you were leaving us racist homophobes, Hull? –ST

6. GBA says:

Baklava,

I just read Prop 209. I don’t live in Cali anymore but I am very familiar with the culture there. Having grown up not too far (Sausalito) from where you are.

Personally I am for meritocracy but I can see where many would be concerned that this proposition. While it was concieved from a righteous idealogly. It may be a bit premature even for California. But with that states near “minority” majority I can see how it can develop into situation of descrimination against individuals not protected by diversity statutes and policies.

7. GBA says:

Baklava,

8. GBA says:

Sorry for double clicking

9. PCD says:

The truth hurts Liberals. Right now Hull must feel he has a wooden stake through his heart with the truth about kwanzaa exposed.

10. GBA says:

11. Baklava says:

Again, Read Ward Connerly’s BOOK “Creating Equal”.

Ward addresses how this country if it wants to give a hand up to do it by giving it to ALL who are economically disadvantaged and NOT based on race. Every race has people who are economically disadvantaged.

Hope this helps.

12. Baklava says:

PCD wrote, “I doubt Hull will be back.

I’ve seen it before. He’s obsessed with his hate for conservatives. He doesn’t feel defeated he feels victimized… yet doesn’t understand he’s the one with hate.

13. GBA says:

Baklava,

I am going to read it. Can I get it at Barnes&Noble? Where did you get your copy?

14. Baklava says:

GBA wrote another incorrect accusation, “Islam and Christianity both have similar language regarding conversion of societies to there own faiths and beliefs. I don’t get the point.

Where does it say to slay the infidel in the bible? The bible asks us to preach the gospel not to kill the infidel. The Koran talks about this smiting/killing/slaying over 100+ times.

There are plenty of moderate muslims who aren’t fundamentalists but the fundamentalists in Islam are over 100 times more dangerous if they believe they are to carry out the word of the Koran.

15. andrew says:

“Hull, Kwanzaa is a fiction foisted upon the public by Ron Karanga”

Unlike Santa Claus, which is real!

16. Baklava says:

Amazon.com

Though I don’t know I should refer to Amazon as Michelle Malkin has exposed Amazon’s tactics (replacing pictures of covers of books – I know that must be a single Amazon employee but they should be fired and Amazon should apologize).

17. GBA says:

ST,

You got me. I do ask alot of rhetorical questions. As a matter of fact I ask more questions than I do anything else. And most of the time I already know the answers. I was raised by attorneys so I can’t help it…..I think it’s genetic.

I do like to learn new things though. I learn everytime I go blogging at Sister Toldjah.

The afformentioned article was good and it reflects accurately what is happening in Arizona. But the rest of the US has slightly different variations of the same issue. California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas have very unique and critical problems that if are undealt with regard to Americanization it could and is having a profound impact on the rest of the country.

Rep. J.D. Hayworth was is either a hero or a dope for writing this article. I personally see the article as brave, concise and articulate. And I hope his constituents think the same. But you never know.

18. GBA says:

Baklava,

Whoop! Whoop!

19. GBA says:

Baklava,

Could you please explain the concept of evangelism then?

The crusaded never happened?

The Spanish Inquisition just a rumor?

20. - GBA….I’m not being snarky here… serious question…. do you have a reading comprehension problem….

– The comparisan I believe was between the creedos that each “Religion” sets for to its flocks… Not the mis-guided, misuse the flocks make of it…try to keep up here….

– Bang **==

21. Baklava says:

The crusades happened.

Why do you question me like that again and again. I never stated the Crusades didn’t happen. The Crusades weren’t carried out due to Christianity’s teachings. They had reasons (many flat wrong) and some were due to trying to RECLAIM land from the Muslims who took it.
    Take note about the reclaiming

I’m not sure how your logic words. I once was a liberal but you’ve baffled me as to how you think the BIBLE and the KORAN teach similar wasys of converting people. It simply ISN’T TRUE and is an incorrect accusation.

22. Baklava says:

HEY Bang,

What? You got too much to do today? :-w

Thanks for finally tagging me. ;) Now get in the ring…

23. GBA says:

Baklava,

I just so happen to have a copy of both scriptures here in front of me. Where in Koran did you say these passages are?
    I’ll look through the book of John. I remember a part where he states that Jesus said whomsoever believeth shall inherit the earth and enjoy everlasting life etc. Or some thing like that.

Get abck to me with those verses
    Thanks

24. Baklava says:

I’ll get to it…. But maybe some other day. The Internet is full of experts who read the Koran and has the passages outlined.

You could do due diligence or keep making the accusation.

(Again I’ll get to it but maybe not today – just thought you could show responsibility – not accusing you of lacking it).

25. - Sorry for slacking a bit today Bak… Me and mini-me are arm wresling dah flu to the floor. I’ve been following the thread, chuckling as the al Qaeda-bats did their usual tap dance in four nuanced directions at once as per usual. If there was a shred of question left in anyones mind, as to how a dishonorably discharged, nuanced brained, Communist sympethizer, managed to get nominated for their party presidential run, it should be pretty obvious by now to everyone.

– But that last one by GBA was just too blatant to pass up….

– Bang 8-}

26. GBA says:

Baklava,

Although you and I do not share many views. Our path to a viewpoint is similar. I do my homework brother. And assume you do too.
    My point was not that Christianity is bad or good. And the same of Islam or any other radical religion that is based on faith more than fact. My point is that so what that Kwanzaa is not a friendly celbration, belief ect. Neither is Islam, neither is Christianity. Depending who and where you are in this world this holds true.

Between Islam and Christianity more people have died fighting for religious supremecy than any other cause known to mankind combined.

It makes you wonder about religion, or more accurately the church/mosque/whatever(organization of religion) and it’s policies of global proliferation of it’s beliefs. The Christians have missionaries. The Muslims have an even broader network to facilitate religious conversion. These groups go to countries around the world to minister the beliefs of their particular God.

27. While we’re on the subject, a friendly word of advice to GBA. Whenever you try to debate using scattered references, and off-topic out of context memes, you tend to really shingle yourself out over the fog at 60,000 feet. Discussing events, taken in the name of a religion, is particularly frought with intellectual land mines. Spain was, at the time, rabidly Fascist, which continued unabated up too modern times, even beyond Franco’s rein. Italys Fascist leanings culminated in Musollini. Dipping into history, without paying attention to the causes/effects is a real waste of everyones time.

– The lessons of history of course is the reason our founding fathers were driven to keep governments hands off religion. “Congress shall make no laws respecting religion or the practice thereof….”.

– If any Liberal/Marxist/
    Communist/Socialist/Progressives/Aetheists/Theists ect ect., can show me a article/ammendment in the Constitution where it says “This Document is divorced from, and not based on the creedos, principles, and morals of Judao/Christian beliefs, I’ll be glad to eat my hat in front of a session of Congress on national TV…..

– The founders wanted to protect everyones rights to gov. free medling in your religious freedoms, not eviscerate every semblance of decency from the American way of life in order to make a tiny minority of Aetheists happy.

– As Homer Simpson would so colorfully out it: “You guys are simply “full of beans”

– Bang **==

28. Pam says:

Wasn’t Robert Byrd (D-W VA) the Grand Wizard of the KKK?

Why is it that GBA believes ST is discriminating against gays if she holds the belief that they are not to be married? (I have no idea how she feels on the subject, I am going by what GBA said)

Why would any person of intelligence release a study such as the one cited above? In order for one to believe the study, one must believe that all democrats believe the gays should marry and all republicans must believe that gays should not marry. The same would be true for affimatice action and other causes cited in the study. The fact is, as we are seeing in state elections with the issue on their ballots, this is not an issue that can be assigned to political leanings. Michigan had a marriage amendment on the ballot in Nov 04′. The State went to Kerry in the election and 63% of voters voted for the marriage ban….

29. - GBA…. are you now trying to argue that it doesn’t matter what the very essense of the book of your religion preaches. If so I think you’re whistling into the wind.

“Depending who and where you are in this world this holds true.”

– Very true, but unfortunately, also very tutorial, and again totally off point, since it speaks to the vageries of men, not the basic teachings of their religious faiths. I’m disposed to think you’re intentionally being evasive concerning the very agressive, and intolerant, in some cases even genocidal , the Koran edicts to its faithful….

– Bang **==

30. GBA says:

Baklava,

http://www.answering-islam.org is a great site.

The 164 references to Jihad are very different than the actual translated verse that I have. But I am not a muslim and I don’t speak arabic. So I can be of no value in translating the text myself. But the english translation are very different.

The other site http://www.antijihad.org was way more propaganda that factual in it’s list of links. But it has lots of value as a reference of diversified opinions.

I am not a fan of Islam in general. But I feel it’s essential to understand who you are fighting with and whatfor. Know your enemy.

But I can also quote you some crazy stuff from Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

The point is when dealing anything that bases it’s position in the super-natural and blind faith instead of fact. There will always be room for criticism and ridicule. Even exploitation of text for religious or even political gain.

Please tell me that organized religion has nothing todo with greed, power, hatred and war.

It’s clear that the radical Muslim world uses religion as a weapon. And it’s clear that the same is true of Christians here in the states. So excuse me if I think Kwanzaa is no big deal. Almost nobody celbrates it. This is in stark contrast to Christianity and Islam.

31. Baklava says:

Generally not. Michael Medved has gone on for hours on this topic (do you know who he is?) The slaughter of millions in Soviet Union and China and in earlier periods in history were generally due to resources and freedom. Rivers, lakes, land, the freedom to utilize these resources and earn a living and feed your family… Most fights/wars were due to a war over resources and/or lack thereof and the economic system that enslaved or gave little hope or opportunity. This is why communism and dictatorships and socialism is evil in my mind.

Capitalism is the system where the people choose who gets what resources. With our nation of laws and over abundance of safety nets (and hammocks that dilute the safety net for non-able-bodied people) this country provides a system where the most people are provided for and our poor are better off than the average in Europe.

The only religion that seems to teach killing and has it’s members who are fundamentalists believe people need to convert or die is Islam because of the Koran. I’ve read the bible front to back and taken 4 years of Catholic school and a class in college in World Religions and nothing ever comes close that I know of to the teachings about the “infidel”.

BTW, Our country due to it’s prosperity gives more aid to all the other countries and world’s poor than all of the other countries combined. Without our system that allows for opportunity and success we wouldn’t have the prosperity. We cannot tax our selves into prosperity and the Laffer Curve is real. It helped our economy tremendously when taxes were cut for ALL income tax payers. IT is the reason that tax revenues into the government increased by 14% last year.

32. GBA says:

Baklava,

Now that’s a strong argument. Well done.

I still don’t understand where you get your growth numbers from. I had heard that growth was closer to 4% with inflation being at an all time low of near two percent. This was Friday on NPR in a program about Greenspan and Bernanke.

33. Baklava says:

When an economy is growing at 4% that means companies are profitable and more people are being hired and that is why revenues into the government due to taxation grew at 14+%. When an economy is shrinking due to a recession the revenues into the government fall off more than the economy is shrinking.

How about this to help. If every company in the U.S. makes .1% profit then X revenues go into the government. If companies grow such that they make .2% profit that might be a 1% growth in the economy to do that but it’d be a DOUBLING of X revenues into the government. This is simple to help.

Our economy is large. There are winner companies and loser companies. But the principle remains the same. The recession of 2001 and 2002 which was reflected as early as OCtober 2000 (before Bush was in office) was due to most companies trying to stop spending so much after spending a lot to fix the Y2K problem. The result was recession. To help the economy a reduction in tax rates was instrumental to boosting it and the effect was a boosting of revenues into the government due to the boom in the economy. The 14% increase in revenues last year would NOT have happened if the recession lasted longer.

34. GBA says:

Baklava,

I’ll buy that.

35. PCD says:

Just to throw one or two last logs on the fire, Iowa and the upper midwestern states are now seeing the assimilation problem for themselves. We’ve had accidents where van and railroad car loads of illegals were hurt in state. The Democrats are pushing laws to allow illegals to vote, as well as trying to grant them welfare and such that Amercican citizens in the same circumstances can’t get.

I thought someone other than Hull would have said something about the origins of Kwanzaa I posted. I’m disappointed.