Dr. Wafa Sultan: A profile in courage

Posted by: ST on March 11, 2006 at 11:52 pm

Read all about this amazing woman, described by the NYTimes as a Syrian-American psychiatrist living outside of Los Angeles. From the article:

Today, thanks to an unusually blunt and provocative interview on Al Jazeera television on Feb. 21, she is an international sensation, hailed as a fresh voice of reason by some, and by others as a heretic and infidel who deserves to die.

In the interview, which has been viewed on the Internet more than a million times and has reached the e-mail of hundreds of thousands around the world, Dr. Sultan bitterly criticized the Muslim clerics, holy warriors and political leaders who she believes have distorted the teachings of Muhammad and the Koran for 14 centuries.

She said the world’s Muslims, whom she compares unfavorably with the Jews, have descended into a vortex of self-pity and violence.

Dr. Sultan said the world was not witnessing a clash of religions or cultures, but a battle between modernity and barbarism, a battle that the forces of violent, reactionary Islam are destined to lose.

In response, clerics throughout the Muslim world have condemned her, and her telephone answering machine has filled with dark threats. But Islamic reformers have praised her for saying out loud, in Arabic and on the most widely seen television network in the Arab world, what few Muslims dare to say even in private.

“I believe our people are hostages to our own beliefs and teachings,” she said in an interview this week in her home in a Los Angeles suburb.

Dr. Sultan, who is 47, wears a prim sweater and skirt, with fleece-lined slippers and heavy stockings. Her eyes and hair are jet black and her modest manner belies her intense words: “Knowledge has released me from this backward thinking. Somebody has to help free the Muslim people from these wrong beliefs.”

Perhaps her most provocative words on Al Jazeera were those comparing how the Jews and Muslims have reacted to adversity. Speaking of the Holocaust, she said, “The Jews have come from the tragedy and forced the world to respect them, with their knowledge, not with their terror; with their work, not with their crying and yelling.”

She went on, “We have not seen a single Jew blow himself up in a German restaurant. We have not seen a single Jew destroy a church. We have not seen a single Jew protest by killing people.”

She concluded, “Only the Muslims defend their beliefs by burning down churches, killing people and destroying embassies. This path will not yield any results. The Muslims must ask themselves what they can do for humankind, before they demand that humankind respect them.”

Here’s a partial transcript of that interview. If you want to view a video of it, click here. It’s so powerful that you might be compelled to stand up and clap at the end of it.

I salute the efforts of Dr. Sultan, and other brave people like her, who take the ultimate risk (their life) in speaking out against Islamofascism.

Hat tip: Dafydd at Big Lizards.

Related: Alexandra at All Things Beautiful blogs about a call from Muslim clerics in Denmark for an official apology from the Danish goverment over the Mohammed cartoons as well a demand for laws that would punish those who offend Muslims. Exact quote from the UK Daily Telegraph piece:

“We want the laws in Denmark and the European Union to be changed, either to have free speech for everyone including on the Holocaust and anti-Semitism, or to change the law to respect religious figures like Mohammad” Suweidan said.

Michael van der Galien responds appropriately.

More: Watch Dr. Sultan’s first English language interview, done yesterday on Tovia Singer’s Israel National News Radio show. (Hat tip: Powerline)

(Cross-posted at California Conservative)

• Blue Star Chronicles trackbacked with On Whose Side Were You When It Mattered?
  • 15 Responses to “Dr. Wafa Sultan: A profile in courage”

Comments

1. camojack says:

A retired minister friend sent me that video…I’m surprised Al Jazeera aired it. =d>

2. forest hunter says:

Now I remember her name. This story came out a couple weeks or so back. I said then that I hope she doesn’t get dead for doing it. The religion of Peace being just so damn peaceful and all.

3. steve says:

All violence is non-productive. Stop the war in Iraq today. Peace

4. CavalierX says:

>All violence is non-productive

Sure, we should have submitted to British tyranny. We should have left that nice Hitler guy alone. And whenever we’re attacked, we should ask our attackers to please not hurt us too badly. Seriously, steve, how do you think we got to a point where ignoramuses you can spout your idiotic opinions without being beaten, jailed or killed? The war in Iraq will end when the enemy stops fighting. Period.

5. paul says:

A brave woman indeed. She now has a death sentence upon her head, in several countries. If we, as a nation show half the intestinal fortitude that she has, the Republic will survive mellenia.

As for As Jezera, it is quite shamefull for us all, that such a rag also had the intestinal fortitude to do and release such an interview. After the massive surrender of US media, over the Prophet comix, I doubt whether any of our own main stream media would have even considered conducting such and interview, let alone run it.

paul

6. blogagog says:

I’m inclined to side with the Danish cleric when he says, “either to have free speech for everyone including on the Holocaust and anti-Semitism, or to change the law to respect religious figures like Mohammad.” Of course, I’m for the free speech part.

Did you know that a guy is in jail for 3 years because he said the holocaust wasn’t as bad as most people think? It doesn’t matter whether he is right or wrong, he should always be able to say it.

7. forest hunter says:

Paul, interesting point and it would be fantastic if the actual truth, should ever be allowed to get pass the MSM deny all filter. :-w However, I think they’ll just do what they do, as in the examples of Mr. Steele and any others. The truth won’t be black enough, either. :-?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programzzzzzz! x(

8. Raj says:

I agree with blogagog – the whole idea of putting someone behind the bars for denying the holocaust is PATHETIC. Its just another western version of the stoneage Islamic Fatwa. I have firsthand experience of threats from jewish students during debates on the Israel-Palestine issue when I accused them (rightfully in my opinion) of playing the holocaust card (which many of them do time and again just to render their opposition handicapped). I didn’t know people who were once oppressed turn into bigtime arrogant a-holes once liberated. Makes you shudder thinking what they would be had they been in power forever. This goes out to every person of minority sections who try this arrogant tactic.

9. Raj says:

Funny thing about Al-Jazeera is, the west considers it heavily biased towards the Arabs while the Arabs consider it pro-westerns. I like Al-Jazeera (and strongly believe in it being allowed to be aired on US soil) and feel bad for them. They are not neutral – but lets just say, they are to the Arabs what Fox News is to Red America.

10. I agree with Blogagog as well – Michael van der Galien, who I referenced as commenting on the Danish cleric’s requests, was on the same page as well … which is why I posted a link to his blogpost :)

11. steve says:

Any individual should have the right to say what they like. However, organizations and institutions must meet a higher standard, because they project authority so what they say carries far more weight. I say, “Let’s all get drunk.”, and no one cares, bush says it and no one in America shows up for work the next day. Peace

12. I have never been SO TURNED ON IN MY LIFE as I was watching Sultan’s video clip!

Oh, wait–I mean, um….I haven’t been this turned since I’ve seen SISTER TOLDJAH’S new pics in December! That’s what I meant. Yeah, that’s the ticket! #:-s

I guess it’s true–looks aren’t everything.

Lastly…all trolling is non-productive. Peace be upon your sister-in-law. :-@

13. Mark says:

Memri, the agency that distributed the carefuly-selected clip of wafa, is run by ex-Israeli intelligence officers in Wash DC. It has a Zionist agenda based on showing Arabs and Muslims in the worst light. You might want to read this article by the British newspaper: