Arrest warrant in the works for McKinney?

Posted by: ST on March 31, 2006 at 1:14 pm

Via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

WASHINGTON — Capitol Hill police are expected to seek an arrest warrant next week for Rep. Cynthia McKinney of Georgia, who was involved in a physical confrontation with a Capitol police officer Wednesday, police and legal authorities said Thursday.

Officially, the investigation of the incident, in which the DeKalb County Democrat allegedly struck a police officer who tried to stop her from going around a security checkpoint, is ongoing, said Sgt. Kimberly Schneider, spokeswoman for Capitol Hill police.

However, police have notified the federal prosecutor’s office in Washington that they will be seeking an arrest warrant after the investigation is complete next week, said police and legal authorities, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because the investigation was not yet complete.

McKinney ignored a reporter’s questions Thursday as she walked into the Capitol, before word of the planned arrest warrant. She could not be reached for comment later Thursday.

In a statement released Wednesday, McKinney said, “I deeply regret that the incident occurred.”

McKinney’s office had said she might hold a news conference Friday morning in Washington, but that event was canceled.

She’s yet to apologize. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s comments on the incident?:

Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi on Thursday labeled it “a mistake, an unfortunate lack of recognition of a member of Congress.” She added that the police officer was not at fault.

“I would not make a big deal of this,” said Pelosi, D-Calif.

Maybe the next quote from Pelosi will be to praise Democrats for their ‘diversity in opinion’ on the issue – or something.

William Teach at Pirate’s Cove checks out some of the DU reaction to all this.

Related Toldjah So post:

• Leaning Straight Up trackbacked with McKinney’s Lawyer says she is just a victim of racism
  • Iowa Voice trackbacked with McKinney Plays The Race Card
  • Blue Star Chronicles trackbacked with The Embarrassment of Cynthia McKinney
  • 17 Responses to “Arrest warrant in the works for McKinney?”

Comments

1. Karl says:

I hope they do arrest her.

Being in Congress is no excuse for criminal behavior….wait, what am I saying?

2. Dave in CO says:

unfortunate lack of recognition of a member of Congress

Uh, not exactly. You check everyone’s ID every time. Period. I work in a TRACON and come and go all day long. I have known the security guard for years. But it doesn’t matter. He is required to check my ID every time. If I don’t have my secure area badge, I ain’t coming in. She is no different, though she apparently thinks she is.

And she is making decisions that effect our national security?

3. sanity says:

and easy enough to verify since all coming and going from the congress checkpoint is VIDEO TAPED.

Release the video tape and we will determine exactly what happened.

What do you want to bet the tape mysteriously disappears, is lost or they won’t show it?

4. steve says:

And again, all violence is counter-productive. Rash Limberger, recommends Prozac for all ladies over 40ish. Peace

5. Tyrmadris says:

Hmm….

a mistake, an unfortunate lack of recognition of a member of Congress

and

She added that the police officer was not at fault.

They are printed in the same paragraph. And yet, amazingly, the writer of the article apparently is unable to recognize the inherent contradiction. It’s a media paradox. How can it be a ‘mistake’ if the guard is not at ‘fault’? Either he did something wrong or he did not. I’m inclined to believe he was doing his job, but then again, I deal with security types every day and have to go through a similar process.

6. Gotta love Nance Pelosi “Wouldn’t make a big deal out of it.” I wonder: if I go pop a Capital City Police officer, will she back me up with “don’t make a big deal out of it?”

7. Mahwah says:

McKinney’s comment to the press:

“This whole incident was instigated by the inappropriate touching and stopping of ME, a female BLACK congresswoman”

:o:o:o:o:o:o

…and the race card is now out on the table. Aren’t we all surprised??8-|

8. steve says:

I’m not surprised, but I caught some crap for saying it last night. She is going to sue the Capital Police for assult. I just hope the cop isn’t a registered Republican, because if he is this Georgia Representative will beat this drum to re-election. Ain’t democracy grand? Peace

9. sanity says:

Meanwhile Danny Glover and Harry Belafonte (wow there is a pair you don’t want supporting you) without knowing what is going on, is all behind her:
      Link

Oh HARRY you are just what the Democrats want as a supporter.

There also seems to be some possibility of the ranking member of the House Administration Committee, Juanita Millender-McDonald, personally intervening with the House sergeant-at-arms to keep McKinney from being arrested for assault.
      Captain points out:

Unfortunately for Millender-McDonald, if she pressured the sergeant-at-arms to leave McKinney alone, that constitutes obstruction of justice, as that office is responsible for law enforcement and security oversight for Congress and its offices.

10. jac says:

I agree. McKinney’s acting like a moron and should have charges pressed.

11. camojack says:

I hope they through the book at her. May I suggest Oxford’s Unabridged Dictionary? :d

12. camojack says:

Through the book at her? I meant throw it…after they’re through with it, of course. =))

13. MannyinSJ says:

She not only is acting like a moron but is setting the stage for abuse from a lawmaker regarding racially motivated situations. She is an idiot, she lacks integrity and certainly only a society that invites such people will vote her in again. when I say “such people” I mean those who will abuse the laws of our land to suite their own needs and those will twist and contort the laws intended to protect into something which they “such people” will only attempt to hid from the truth. As a democrate this woman just personifies how stupid a society can be and it is very troubling. We as a country are certainly not stellar or one worth striving for. how sad :((