CNN will rebroadcast its coverage of 9-11 as it happened

Posted by: ST on August 28, 2006 at 3:29 pm

Tracey Kane at Wizbang Pop links to the story via the AP:

CNN will mark the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks by replaying on the Internet the cable network’s coverage of that day’s events.

Viewers can watch how events unfolded starting at 8:30 a.m., minutes before the first reports of an airplane hitting the World Trade Center. The feed will run in real time, as the network showed it five years ago, until midnight.

For the day, CNN will make its online video service, CNN Pipeline, available for free. Normally, viewers pay $2.95 a month or $24.95 a year for four separate video feeds.

Online viewers will be able to watch live reports of memorial services through one of the feeds. So that viewers won’t accidentally stumble upon graphic footage from 2001, the replay feed will be covered with a notice instructing users to click only if they want to watch.

“Our users may choose to view the stream of coverage from Sept. 11, 2001, or live coverage of memorial services at Ground Zero, or they may click through the numerous interactive elements on the site,” said David Payne, senior vice president and general manager of CNN.com. “They have the power to determine the best way for them to remember the anniversary.”

I remember when my friend and I got up to our hotel rooms that day in NYC, we turned CNN on and saw some horrifying images being replayed of people from the WTC jumping from the buildings. The media imposed upon itself not long after 9-11 a ban of sorts on reshowing/printing those images. Most of them still don’t, out of sensitivity concerns for the families.

In any event, kudos to CNN for doing this, especially for making their online video service free for the day. Nearly five years after our nation was attacked by Islamofascists, I think too many people have forgotten the horror of that day. Time passes, memories fade. Maybe – to a least a few of them, anyway – this will bring things sharply back into focus and serve as a somber yet angering reminder of what happened on what would have otherwise been a beautiful, sunny, just-barely-feeling-a-tinge-of-autumn-in the-air day in New York City.

Hat tip: Lorie Byrd

Prior:

• The Political Pit Bull trackbacked with CNN To Replay Its 9/11 Coverage Online
  • 10 Responses to “CNN will rebroadcast its coverage of 9-11 as it happened”

Comments

1. ChefJeff says:

I am glad that the Clinton News Network will be doing this. Maybe it will wake up some of the “normal” CNN viewers and make them realize that this is a war against Islamofascists rather than thier “normal” Bush bashing.**==

2. benning says:

This is a postitive thing, but I wonder how long before the complaints begin? Someone will not like that CNN, or any network, is showing this again.

3. I applaud this move by the Crescent News Network, but suspect that it will only polarize what is already polarized and not change many minds already set. In the 1940′s, it did not take five years – heck, it did not take even five minutes – for the overwhelming majority of Americans to figure out that we were at war and to accept the sacrifices that needed to be made in order to win it.

4. forest hunter says:

I was laxing in one of my hammocks over the deck suspended high in the trees. (You had to climb the tree about 4 meters up to get in it). Cool ocean breeze swaying the tree tops, as I stared out towards the bay, perfect I thought. A group of my Japanese friends were hangin’ out below, cleaning up after our all day barbecue. One of them came running out of the house obviously upset, calling my name and telling me to hurry. I rush into the room where they guide me to my TV. The unfolding events of that day are known and I saw the insanity.

W/O knowing the who or why, I tried to answer the flurry of questions coming from people who are minimally aware of our culture. Near the end of several hours of repeat and speculative reports from every quadrant, I said to them something that actually shocked them. Roughly translated I said “It’s New York. They’ll forget soon.” I wanted to say that it was unfortunate it missed the UN building, but how could I have known then who was part and parcel to aiding the efforts of terror in such an obvious manner, therefore never even considered as a target.

Now before the ire of those who lost people that tragic day and others who are in fact still pissed about it, as I am, my statement was based on the general habit and practice of what I know of far too many peeps living in big cities. Detached is a lifestyle for an extremely large populace in America. My disdain for cities comes from the habits and lifestyles that opulence and cheap, breeds and thrives in the city.

Back to the point of that day and what I knew would happen, too many New Yorkers as well as the rest of America have forgotten and think they can move on w/o fixing the cause of the diseased who attacked America. What runs down the leg of way too many, ignorant of Islamonazis goals, has never ran down mine. What should be running in their veins, has always coursed through mine. What it takes is resolve and determination. I call into question the actions left, right and center of those who are in positions to take proper actions against this invasive cult. THIS.IS.NOT.A.DRILL!

5. Amy Proctor says:

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I’ll record it to DVD. I’ve said for YEARS that 9/11 should be shown in real time once a month, prime time, for the first year, then once every 3 months every subsequent years. We need to NOT forget what happened and why. We need to be reminded that our enemies are not like the Vietcong who will stay in their country after we leave, but will hunt us down and do their damnedest to kill us ALL.

6. NC Cop says:

I had just worked the nightshift and was just getting up. I had called a buddy of mine who was a detective and they were watching it as it happened. I turned on the tv just as the second plane hit.

If I live to be 1,000 years old, I will NEVER forget the images of those people throwing themselves off those buildings. I cannot imagine what kind of fear and horror they must have been in.

When I was in NYC last month I was talking to the NYPD officers I was with and they were telling me that they were STILL finding human remains on top of some of the surrounding buildings.

7. Marshall Art says:

What I won’t forget was how weird it was to not see any planes in the sky over the next couple of days. You take the air traffic for granted, and then it’s gone, and you know why it’s gone…I couldn’t stop looking up to see no planes, and feeling how weird that was.

Now, I can’t stand that there are elements in this country that play stupid, pathetic games over who’s responsible, what we should do about it, how we should go about it, as if the event and it’s consequences are some little political football to kick around. It would be better if these people would truly forget 9/11, rather than to pretend to care when they’re really playing politics.

8. Drewsmom says:

Its not too late for an edt my learned friends, george soros won’t let this get by without a fight, and there are many more who don’t want this to air.
      Just look at tonight’s line-up on cnn, msnbc, current,cbs, regular nbc, the line-up is BUSH DROWNS THOUSANDS AND TRASHES THEIR HOMES, SCHOOLS AND THE REST OF THEIR LIVES, I’m keeping my clicker and my trash can nearby, never know when I’ll need to change channel or hurl in the trash can:((

9. enlite says:

Where were these “Investigation Proponents” on Dec. 30,1941.Where was the ACLU when FDR interned all Jap/Amer. for four years. We are in just as big a war now as we were then. This is a global conflict,the enemy wants to kill us all and force his ideology on the whole planet( Nazi’s,Facist,Imperialist). We have lost over 2500 fine,brave,young heros to this effort in the past 4 years,which is comparible to the loss on the first DAY of the assult on Iwo Jima. We mourn the loss of all the victims of the satanic attacks of the culture of death. I agree with Amy Proctor to broadcast the images of that day, only every day, on the morning and nightly news. Don’t Ever Forget.