US Rep. Mark Foley: Good riddance

Posted by: ST on September 29, 2006 at 3:25 pm

Here’s the scoop on US Rep. Mark Foley’s (R-FL) decision to step down from the House over rumors he was soliciting sex from an underage (16 y/o) male page.

I read the rumors about the intial charges earlier at RawStory, and like Allah, didn’t want to post about them until they could be substantiated. Looks like now they have been.

MSNBC’s a little behind on this one, and are not as yet reporting that the resignation is official, but I’m sure they’ll have updates on the story soon. They’ve also got a related “where are they now” story posted, which takes a look at those involved in the big political scandals that have rocked DC over the last 30 years.

Update I: Irony watch: Foley was part of the Missing and Exploited Childrens Caucus (hat tip: Hot Air commenter “Valiant”).

Update II: Also commenting: Gay Patriot (who beat me to it on the comparison between this scandal and the one about Rep. Barney Frank from the late 80s), La Shawn Barber, Stop The ACLU, Blog For All, Suitably Flip

Update III: Here are some snippets from AIM’s between Foley and the page.

• La Shawn Barber's Corner trackbacked with Congressman Mark ‘Page Boy’ Foley Resigns
  • The Florida Masochist trackbacked with Congressman Mark Foley
  • Wizbang Politics trackbacked with Foley Reaction
  • Rhymes With Right trackbacked with Rep. Foley Resigns
  • Rhymes With Right trackbacked with A Question On The Foley Affair
  • Cop The Truth trackbacked with More Filth In Congress
  • 26 Responses to “US Rep. Mark Foley: Good riddance”

Comments

1. Severian says:

Last time there was a big congressional page scandal 20 years ago the standing joke was: Why don’t senators need to use bookmarks? When they need to mark their place they just bend over a page…:-"

2. Karl says:

OK, I dont know much about this, but from what I have seen of the scanned emails, they are personal but hardly perverted.

Unless I am not seeing all the relevent links, I have to wonder how much of this is ture.

But then again he resigned so that brings more questions into play.

3. Karl says:

OK, I found some clarification. STA has a mention of Instant Messages reputedly made by Foley to the kid.

If those are valid, I agree this is sick indeed.

But I also advise some caution. Instant messages and emails can be faked easily. I want to see some validation.

4. Severian says:

While this is reprehensible behavior, I do note one difference between Foley and Democratic Congressmen who get caught with their hands in the cookie jar, such as Jefferson “Money in the Freezer” and that’s how they responded. Foley, I resign and am ashamed, Jefferson, I ain’t resigning and I’m still trying to keep my committee memberships. Both caught doing something wrong, Republican resigns in disgrace, Democrat keeps on in the same way while refusing to admit to wrongdoing or even show any shame.

There’s a difference in respectability between the two parties even among the reprobates of each party.

5. libertarianobserver says:

Severian–

you beat me to it. And I thought I was the only one to notice that Republicans will almost always resign and “take their medicine” when accused of wrongdoing, while Democrats will claw, scrape, and do anything to keep their power. Interesting difference… I’d call it integrity.

6. You mean like Representative Barney “I didn’t know a prostitution ring was being run out of my basement” Frank, Sev?

7. Drewsmom says:

Goodness, this is the first I have heard of this, where is olbermann when we need him.
      Is he married? Is he gay? Wonder how Barney Franks kept from getting caught, didn’t he have an affair with a page or I am confused?
      Just for the record, if this is true I am glad he is gone and Jefferson outta be out also.

8. sanity says:

Read the story late last night, but was under this story:

Sixteen-Year-Old Who Worked as Capitol Hill Page Concerned About E-mail Exchange with Congressman.

While at first going through the story it “seemed” like it was just an overly concerned, or perhaps a bit too friendly of a Congressman trying to be more in tune with his aides / pages (wasn’t sure if page was his or not though).

Some of the excerpts were:

In the series of e-mails, obtained by ABC News, from Rep. Foley (R-FL) to the former page, Foley asks the young man how old he is, what he wants for his birthday and requests a photo of him.

The page emailed another staffer this (which threw up red flags):

In one e-mail, the former page writes to a staffer, “Maybe it is just me being paranoid, but seriously. This freaked me out.”

In the story it explains the supposed reasons why Foley sent the emails:

Foley’s office acknowledges that Foley wrote the e-mails to the young man but says they were completely innocent and that Foley is at most guilty of being “too friendly and too engaging” with young people.

The e-mails were sent from Foley’s personal AOL account, and the exchange began within weeks after the page finished his program on Capitol Hill. In one, Foley writes, “did you have fun at your conference…what do you want for your birthday coming up…what stuff do you like to do.”

In another Foley writes, “how are you weathering the hurricane…are you safe…send me an email pic of you as well…”

What through red flags all over the place for me was that he Foley was sending these through a PERSONAL AOL account, and not his work / Congressional one. What he was sending had nothing to do with Congressional work, his office, or the pages activities for work. This was personal and was I am assuming “private” between him and the page – at least I believe he was hoping it would be.

Foley’s reasoning goes out the window, and personally I think he should be investigated:

Foley’s office says it is their policy to keep pictures of former interns and anyone who may ask for a recommendation on file so they can remember them.

The Congressional page program was started in the 1800s. In its current form, juniors from high school work on Capitol Hill after school or over the summer. The young man in question did not work or intern for Foley’s office.

His excuses go up in smoke here, since the page was not an intern or even work for Foley’s office, the first part of this is completely shot to hell, since there would be no reason to keep pictures and the like of pages or interns that do not work for you. Why would they come to someone who they don’t work for looking for a recommendation?

Elizabeth Nicolson, Foley’s Chief of Staff, said they believe the e-mail exchange began when the page asked Foley for a recommendation and that the subsequent exchange was totally innocent. She said Foley’s office believes the e-mails were released by the opposition as part of an “ugly smear campaign.”

I think i may have spoken too soon, but perhaps I just don’t understand….

Why would this page email Foley for a recommendation if he neither works for or has interned with Foley’s office?

That part is a bit confusing.

Regardless of which, normally emails and such would be handled by congressional staffers and not by the congressman himself with something this minor I would think.

Using his personal AOL account throw up even more suspicions and red flags.

I don’t know, this borders on solicitation of a minor, like the start of a person trying to get close to a minor, befriend him, and then pushing for more closer and sexual things in emails and encounters.

9. Karl says:

Not to excuse it, but what do you want to bet that after the kid ran the emails around, some opposition staffer told him to hook Foley into an instant message, where the sexual contact started. Seems like the kid was ready to shut the door there, but suddenly he is in IM with foley and foley is getting sexy.

If the IM’s which no one has validated yet are real, then Foley likely was set up and was dumb enough to fall for it.

Because the emails are harmless on their own merits.

The IM’s as reported represent a severe escalation in relationship.

10. Drewsmom says:

Someone please answer my question, is he married, I guess I could go google it up but I’m tired, it is Friday and I had a rough week and to top it off this a.m. a football player for the school I sub for backed up into my Saturn with his huge truck and put a giant hole in my front fender, but the kid was really uspet about it, nobody was hurt and his Dad said send him the estimate and he’ll pay me.
      I will go google so yall don’t have to bother with poor battered me.:d

11. Great White Rat says:

An even better analogy would be Gerry Studds, another liberal Massachusetts Democrat. Studds was caught actually molesting a page – not just Emails – but since he’s a lib and a Dem, he brazened it out and the sheeple in his district re-elected him.

libertarianobserver has it exactly right – the difference is integrity. Remember the first law of moonbat politics: Nothing is more important than power. Not national security, and certainly not a little thing like integrity.

12. timekeeper says:

Foley (who was my mother’s congressman) has never married.

13. Drewsmom says:

Yeah, more of the emails have come out and they are classic pedifiele crap, gross, but at least he did resign right away, somethings the dems don’t believe in.
      I heard last night on one of shows that barney franks had a prostitution ring involving young boys running outta his own basement, and we are blessed to see his ugly mug still in Congress and God only knows what he is doing now. I’m not against gays but when you cross the line into pedifielia, thats a completely different matter.
      Not sure if I spelled pedifielia right, hardly like to even say the word. :-&

14. timekeeper says:

Drewsmom–”Pedophilia” is what you were looking for…

Barney Frank did have a prostitution ring running in his basement, but he was not involved, it was his housemate who was running it. And unlike the Foley case (or the Gerry Studds case, which was even more odious), there were no minors involved (they were all over 18).

I really REALLY hope that Studds is thrown in the face of any Dem who tries to make a big deal about this issue for partisan gain. I was a fan of Foley up until this point, but I am glad to see him gone if the charges are true.

15. Drewsmom says:

Oh, only his housemates were involved, then thats spose to make it O.K., gross, no its not O.K.
      Barney probabaly participated and sure, they were ALL over 18, we shall see.
      I wanta see something on Murtha’s involvement in the Abscam deal, he is caught on tape taking alot of $$$$ and cussing like a sailor, go to TheAmericanThinkers.com to watch and listen ….
      lets watch the lame stream media INGNORE THIS ISSUE COMPLETELY.[-(

16. Joe says:

This is funny as hell…not only is he a closet pedafile but hes a moron for not realizing that the internet tracks things and it was so easy to catch him. Why couldnt he have just gone to an underground gay sex club like the rest of the politicians? And the irony of someone violating a law that he created is great! I love it…and not just because hes a republican. I actually think that too much partisanship is made for any of these selfish, sexually repressed, two faced bastards. We live in a country in which sexuality is shunned in public yet our leaders are sleezeballs. Maybe thats the difference…you shouldnt make your whole platform ¨family value¨ and then be a huge sleeze.