Monday/Tuesday open thread

Posted by: ST on October 16, 2006 at 8:04 pm

Ok, ya’ll – tell me who you’re rooting for to go all the way in the World Series. I know St. Louis and the Mets are still battling it out to see who will represent the NL, so which of the two do you want to go? Are do we have some Detroit Tigers fans in the house who don’t care who the Tigers play?

I have no dog in this fight, as my poor Braves – well, we won’t go there.

Game 5 of the NLCS was supposed to be played tonight in St. Louis but rain has pushed the game to tomorrow night – 8:19 pm ET on FOX. The NLCS is currently tied at 2 games each.

BTW, I’m behind on emails – I still haven’t caught up from being out of town in Gboro two weekends ago. Bear with me, ya’ll. I’m catching up as fast as I can.

13 Responses to “Monday/Tuesday open thread”

Comments

1. Mwalimu Daudi says:

I am rooting for the Cubs and demand a full and accurate recount of all runs scored this season. I have no doubt that not all of the runs have actually been counted and that many have been overlooked. There are trick scoreboards and scorekeepers, and fans should not be cheated. Also, we know that other teams have actively and openly tried to prevent the Cubs from scoring runs during baseball games (both this season and in previous ones), and we demand that the Justice Department fully investigate these serious charges.

It is inconceivable that the Cubs are not in the World Series this year. There has not been a full and fair accounting yet. It would be a terrible thing to wake up one fine day next year and realize that the wrong team won! “Selected not elected” should not be the slogan of baseball.

2. Great White Rat says:

Mwalimu,

It’s obviously a plot by Chimpy, Karl Rove, and Halliburton! :((

Cub fans’ mantra: anyone can have a bad century!

3. NC Cop says:

Let’s go Yankees!!!!!! What?……What do you mean they are out of it?!?!??! They are?!!?!!?

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

*SIGH* Oh well, let’s go Detroit.

Seriously, I would not mind seeing the Tigers win it all. As a baseball fan it’s always nice to see a team come out of nowhere and win it all. They are a young team with a fantastic manager so I hope they win it all.

Anybody but the METS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

4. Tom TB says:

I want the Tigers to win it all, then steal the star players and move them to the Bronx!

5. PCD says:

I surprised some Bears fan hasn’t said, “Hey offense, turn the ball over so that we can score!” Sort of like telling the pitcher to hurry up and strike out so that they rally can continue.

6. sanity says:

OMG!

Texas Rainmaker showing a voting record on Rangel and Pelosi (especially Pelosi), and I read this and was FLOORED.

Here is an excerpt of his post, there is more HERE:

Remind them what a “Speaker Pelosi” would look like:

- Nancy Pelosi voted against every Republican tax cut. She voted for the largest tax increase in history.

- Nancy Pelosi voted 19 times against eliminating the death tax.

- Nancy Pelosi voted five times for raising gasoline taxes.

- Nancy Pelosi is so pro-high taxes she was one of only 27 members to vote against tax relief for poor neighborhoods in the inner city (presumably including her constituents in San Francisco).

- On July 31, 1996, Pelosi voted against the historic Welfare Reform Bill and later voted against its reauthorization;

- On July 19, 2006, Pelosi voted against protecting the right to say “one nation under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance;

- On Sept. 20, 2006, Pelosi voted against requiring that voters be identified so we could ensure only legal citizens are voting;

- On July 13, 2006, Pelosi voted against requiring English on ballots;

- On June 30, 2005, Pelosi refused to side with homeowners against the Kelo decision that allows cities to seize private property for profitable ventures, even though 365 members voted to stop cities from taking private property.

- Pelosi has voted at least 12 times against the death penalty;

- Pelosi was one of only 67 House members to vote against the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA);

- Pelosi has voted at least eight times against banning partial-birth abortion, at least three times against the Unborn Victims of Violence Act (Laci’s law), and scored a perfect 100 percent rating from NARAL Pro-Choice America;

- Pelosi voted against a bill that would “[b]ar the transportation of a minor girl across state lines to obtain an abortion without the consent of a parent, guardian or judge;”

- Pelosi voted at least 31 times for using local or federal taxpayer dollars to fund abortions;

- On Sept. 14, 2006, Pelosi voted against building a fence on the border to protect America from terrorists;

- Before 9/11, Pelosi repeatedly voted to cut intelligence (in 1993 by $500 million) and after 9/11 she has still voted to cut intelligence (in 2004 she voted to withhold 25 percent of intelligence funds);

- When you ask why we were not more prepared for 9/11, remember that six months before Sept. 11, 2001, Pelosi voted to decrease proposed defense spending by $65 billion;

- The next time you think about North Korean nuclear tests and North Korean efforts to develop an intercontinental ballistic missile to reach the United States, remember that in 2002, Pelosi voted for an amendment to the FY 2003 Defense authorization that would block FY 2003 funding for space-based missile defense programs;

- Pelosi led a faction of 124 House Democrats who voted against final passage of the Patriot Act’s reauthorization;

- Pelosi voted against the $87-billion Iraq/Afghanistan supplemental that included extra money for body armor for our soldiers;

- Pelosi voted against creation of Homeland Security Department;

- Pelosi was one of only 33 members to vote against prohibiting U.S. citizens and companies from conducting any financial transaction with countries that have been identified by the State Department as active sponsors of terrorism; and

- In 2004, Pelosi voted against House passage of the intelligence overhaul bill, which reorganized 15 intelligence agencies under one Director of National Intelligence.

This is what is in store for us if Democrats win control?!?!?

You have friggin gotta be kidding me.

This is a joke right?

[sighs]

A bad one at that……

We need to get out, vote and make sure these types NEVER get into control, otherwise what is listed above and at Texas Rainmaker’s very well can come to pass if we become dhimmi to the democrats.

Vote as if your life depends on it….because it does.

7. tony says:

Let’s go Tigers (clap, clap, clapclapclap!)

My two favorite teams: The Tigers and whoever plays them stinkin’ Yankees.

8. LOL NC – how did I know that was going to be your answer? ;)

9. Dana says:

I want to see the Cincinnati Reds win it all.

Alas, for the days of the Big Red Machine!

10. jim S says:

Go Tigers…. This town could really use a win.

I’d think I’d rather they play St.Louis… I’m sure there are some Yankee fans who’d settle for the Mets as second choice… especially after the Tigers chewed up the Yankees. :d

11. chris says:

I guess I’ll lay claim to being a resident Tigers fan here. As a former Detroit resident, I can boast of a lot of games in Tiger Stadium (the old one). My biggest memory of Tiger fandom was when I was detained by the police in 1984. I was a Michigan State student and my friends and I were out celebrating our last series championship a bit excessively. No, not burning cars or rioting. A few too many brews. I guess the officer wasn’t too impressed with our rendition of “we are the champions”. I thought we sounded great. We would have made it to Hollywood for sure! Yeah, I know, not too smart, but hey, the brain doesn’t work too well at 19. Ah, the memories.

I haven’t been into baseball that much, although I do find it amazing that the team that set its team record for losses in a season only 3 seasons ago is now at the door to the penthouse. Wow.
    Unbeliveable.

As for who do we want, doesn’t matter. I guess St. Louis would be the most interesting choice as we got one of our better players from them and meeting in the World Series would be cool.

12. Baklava says:

BRILLIANT JFK and Economics post by Willism…

Shortly after taking office, JFK cut the top marginal tax rate down from more than 90% to 70%. On cutting taxes, Kennedy noted:

Our true choice is not between tax reduction, on the one hand, and the avoidance of large Federal deficits on the other. It is increasingly clear that no matter what party is in power, so long as our national security needs keep rising, an economy hampered by restrictive tax rates will never produce enough revenues to balance our budget just as it will never produce enough jobs or enough profits… In short, it is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now.

Jack Kennedy cut taxes, and tax revenues did not fall. Oh, no. The economy flourished and tax revenues climbed 62% over the course of the following seven years, from $94 billion to $153 billion.

There is an error in the next paragraph but the jist is the same…

AND JUST for those Doubting Thomases out there. Evidence is abound that tax rate reductions are GOOD fort he economy. Willisms did it again in this post.

The ten best states in the Tax Foundation’s 2007 State Business Tax Climate Index are as follows:

1. Wyoming
    2. South Dakota
    3. Alaska
    4. Nevada
    5. Florida
    6. Texas
    7. New Hampshire
    8. Montana
    9. Delaware
    10. Oregon

The ten worst states in the Tax Foundation’s 2007 State Business Tax Climate Index are:

41. Minnesota
    42. Maine
    43. Iowa
    44. Nebraska
    45. California
    46. Vermont
    47. New York
    48. New Jersey
    49. Ohio
    50. Rhode Island

The red/blue dichotomy (based on 2004 Bush/Kerry) is pretty clear, without a lot of explanation. To quibble with the color system, New Hampshire and Iowa are more purple than anything (NH went for Bush in 2000; Iowa went for Gore in 2000), while Nebraska’s legislature is non-partisan and unicameral. One could probably examine state legislatures and governorships to create a better red/blue/purple dynamic, but that’s for another post.

Ultimately, though, it’s the ideas and policies– and the differences between and among the states– that matter.

These differences have produced very real outcomes:

…between 2000 and 2005, income in the top 10 states in the 2007 Index grew 44 percent faster than in the bottom 10 states. Employment in the top 10 states grew 115 percent faster, output 52 percent faster and population 164 percent faster.

Think about that. States with lower taxes performed better than states with higher taxes. People and businesses wanted to move to low tax states from high tax states. More jobs– and more higher paying ones– were created in the low tax states than in the high tax states.

Please follow the link to see which states are red and which ones are blue.

13. Baklava says:

What stories does the drive by legacy media ignore?

These from Little Green Footballs.