Barry arrested for driving with a suspended license

Posted by: ST on December 19, 2006 at 12:47 pm

DC City Councilmember Marion “Cocaine” Barry had another run-in with the law this week. Via NBC4:

WASHINGTON — Marion Barry said that he is talking to his lawyers and thinking about suing the D.C. government and the U.S. Park Police after he was stopped, arrested and then released this past Saturday.

Barry said that he was driving to a holiday party around 4:30 p.m. Saturday when U.S. Park Police officers, who said that he was driving too slowly, stopped him.

Barry said the officers asked him for his license and registration and then said that his license was suspended.

Barry told NBC4 the suspension was a clerical mistake, and he accused the U.S. Park police of racial profiling.

Park Police said Barry’s license was in fact suspended, and that’s why he was arrested.

Barry was cuffed and taken to a park police station for processing.

Barry said the incident took several hours to work out and he was humiliated and severely inconvenienced. He said he wasn’t able to drive all weekend due to a mistake by the D.C. government.

Turns out Barry was right, and that his license had not been suspended. But you’d think he could have handled the response to it a little better. It’s understandable though, given his criminal history, that he’s a little touchy about coming in contact with law enforcement officers ;)

Hat tip: Mary Katherine Ham, who reminds us that Barry was elected to serve on the DC City Council back in 2004 after winning 96% of the vote.

6 Responses to “Barry arrested for driving with a suspended license”

Comments

1. vatar says:

He was arrested for DUI in September. Don’t most states suspend your license automatically until your DUI hearing?

2. Drewsmom says:

How much trouble does this dope have to get into before they do take his license, I wouldn’t want to meet up on the road with this lunatic.

MKH’s link brought me to this Hugh Hewitt story about the Chris Matthew’s show:

Tuesday, December 19, 2006
    I Know It Is Just Matt Damon, But…
    Posted by: Hugh Hewitt at 5:47 PM
    From last night’s Hardball:

MATTHEWS: Do you think the war was fought because the region—was it about WMD? Was it about Mideast politics? Was it about ideology?

DAMON: It kept changing when their excuses would change. They‘d go, wait, actually they don‘t have any of that stuff. They‘d go, oh, oh, well then it‘s actually about democracy. Well democracy is not going to work. We‘re just going to settle for—as long as it‘s secure. I mean, it just keeps changing.

MATTHEWS: Do you think guys like Cheney—I love to pronounce his name correctly, by the way. Do you think guys like—it‘s like a Dickensian name, Cheney. Do you think he knew he was saying stuff that wouldn‘t turn out to be true, or was he just mad dogged to fight the war?

DAMON: I‘d like to see him under oath.

MATTHEWS: I would, too. I‘d like to see him with you.

(APPLAUSE)

MATTHEWS: Do you think if you waterboarded Cheney, like in the movie, that you‘d get a different truth out of him?

DAMON: Well, there‘s two answers to that question. One is he doesn‘t strike me as the kind of person who has any real personal courage. When it was his turn to go, he didn‘t go. He deferred six times.

MATTHEWS: He said he had other priorities.

DAMON: Yes, he had other priorities. And he doesn‘t seem to have other priorities about sending other kids there and other peoples kids.

(APPLAUSE)

MATTHEWS: We‘ll be back…

DAMON: … The second part to the answer is that I believe that if you waterboard anybody, they‘ll tell you anything and that torture is completely impractical, on top of being dishonorable. It‘s completely impractical because you can—I mean, if you torture a normal person, if you torture anybody, they‘re going to tell you whatever you want them to tell you. So if you‘re getting information that you‘re going to then use and you get it by torturing them…

MATTHEWS: … Why is man at his worst throughout history used it then if it doesn‘t work? Why has it always been part of—going to the Middle Ages, back to ancient times. People were so cruel to each other, they get what they want out of them. Why do they do it if it doesn‘t work?

DAMON: I don‘t know. I don‘t do it.

Ok Now spittin’ Chris is going to Matt Damon for his political expertise?? GOOD LORD are these guys laughable or is it just me?? But yet so many of the foaming at the mouth rabid left take this stuff for reality. We are in such trouble if these bozos ever get back into real power. – Lorica

4. NC Cop says:

I just find it amusing that this is from the same left that put Bill Clinton in office, who really was a draft dodger. Apparently when you are a democrat it’s not relevant that you dodge the draft.

Absolutely priceless…..

5. Drewsmom says:

Lorica, I saw spittin chrissie and he was in his regular bash mode with damon on hardball.
    chrissie just smiles, makes stupid comments and eggs these moonbats on.
    mr. damon makes a movie about the CIA and now we’re spose to believe he is an expert on the subject. Hollywierd and the weirdos who live there !!!!!!

6. Phil says:

Ok now lets be on topic.

ST I like Mary, I tell you that she is like you right on the money with the articles that you both post. I hear that she is called or referred to as the MKHammer I guess that is because she drives those issues home.

Well you both deserve a hat tip from me, and I certainly do tip my hat to both you and Mary on this article.

You are correct he could have handled the response better. I guess that the Liberals think that the world owes them a living.:-w