Least and most desired 2008 Republican contenders for president

Posted by: ST on January 26, 2007 at 10:39 pm

John Hawkins surveyed several right wing bloggers, including moi, to find out who we wanted least and most to win the Republican nomination for president in 2008. The list is here.

Speaking of presidential conteners, the WaPo did a write-up on Senator Chuck Hagel today and his pondering of a potential bid for the White House.

I don’t see a Hagel candidacy going anywhere. As someone else here said earlier this week, Hagel is just like a Republican John Kerry as it relates to the Iraq war, and Republicans won’t forget that during primary season.

Also, Insight Magazine talks about how former NY Mayor Rudy Giuliani will have a hard time appealing to conservatives – especially social conservatives.

14 Responses to “Least and most desired 2008 Republican contenders for president”

Comments

1. Marshall Art says:

I went and checked out the list. Then I checked out some of the comments. Someone named Rose brought up some stuff about Newt’s personal life. I’d like to know what that’s all about. I’ve heard some poop about him visiting his wife at the hospital to have her sign divorce papers and then people pointing at that and talkin’ nasty. But I’ve never heard any details that suggest he was doing anything wrong or that doing things that way was even his idea. I’m also far from up on his immigration stance. I don’t know if he could get elected prez, but he seems smart enough to be involved with whomever does.

2. Dana says:

I guess that I’ll know I’ve arrived when they ask me for my views!=:) (Green with envy)

3. benning says:

Fred Thompson! Look him up!:-w

4. geezer says:

Gingrich is a thinking person’s candidate. As such, he wouldn’t stand a chance. Rudy’s the one, and I’m glad to see even though he came in at #6 for least desired, he was the #2 most desired.

5. CavalierX says:

>Rudy’s the one

Pro-abortion, pro-gun control, pro-gay “marriage” Rudi Giuliani? Hardly.

6. sanity says:

Least desireable:

6) Rudy Giuliani (17)
    Rudy leads halfway, that isn’t so good and to tell you the truth, I don’t think he has a shot in hell going up against Obama the media darling, and the Hillary camp who will make a ginsu chef look tame when done with a candidate.

5) Sam Brownback (21)
    Don’t know enough about him to comment.

4) Tom Tancredo (30)
    The biggest thing that comes out about Tancredo si his stance on illegal immigration and the border. He is not in agreement with how Bush is handling this and is a big proponent of strengthening and protecting our Border. That in itself will resonate with many conservatives.

3) George Pataki (49)
    Don’t know enough about him to comment, but something doesn’t feel right with him. Can’t put my finger on it, just a memory I heard something I didn’t like about him.

2) John McCain (60.5)
    RINO and media whore comes to mind when I hear his name. Something tells me that McCain would not be a good one to put in. He has name recognition, but he also gets mixed feelings from many that we can’t tell if he is coming or going sometimes.

1) Chuck Hagel (64)
    2 words, Hell and No.

Now as for the most desireable:

7) John McCain (19)
    Again we see how McCain doesn’t rank well. He also is near top of least desireables. If he even has the cajones to put his hat in the ring knowing this, he will do more harm than good pulling the few that seem to be for him away from better candidates.

6) Sam Brownback (20)
    Don’t know enough about him at this time to comment.

5) Tom Tancredo (31.5)
    This kind of surprises me since Border control and protection, and illegal immigration seems to be a big thing with the American public. I recognize his name mainly for his stances oin this, but alas that is about all I recognize from him…can he make a run for the border (sorry pun was intended) and be able to win just mainly on his name recognition on illegal immigration and border control? I don’t think so.

4) Duncan Hunter (35.5)
    Don’t know enough about him to comment.

3) Mitt Romney (43)
    I am more in favor of Romney at this time. I have been hearing some good things about him.

2) Rudy Giuliani (45)
    Again, name recognition gets him this far, but I really don’t think he has a chance to really go up against Obama or Hillary. As vice president he might have a better chance adding his name recognition to a primary candidate.

1) Newt Gingrich (52)
    Newt. Hell what can I say about Newt, I like him and he makes alot of sense to me, and I would vote for him. But the question is, would the rest of America? is he too extreme for their tastes? Cna he pull some of the Democrats, Independents as well as the majority of the republicans in voting for him? That is the $64,000 question.

Mitt, and Newt would be an interesting pairing and I think they could give Obama and Hillary a definate run for their money.

7. Mwalimu Daudi says:

Excellent analysis, sanity!

I am struck by the number of really rotten candidates the GOP has in the mix this time around. The Republican Party has moved far to the Left since the days of Reagan. President Bush’s biggest weakness (aside from his bizarre refusal to tackle Democrats head-on about Iraq and other issues) is his free-spending tendencies with regards to domestic programs.

I would like to see Condi Rice run. If nothing else, it would be a hoot to see racist Democratic liberals like the MSM, Hilly the Hun, Barbara Boxer and Ted Kennedy lecture her on how to be a black woman. Most liberal politicians have all the grace and subtly of Bull Conner when it comes to minorities that get all uppity and try to leave the liberal plantation.

If pressed to choose one, I would prefer Jim Gilmore. He is little known, but is a former Virginia governor who bills himself as a Reagan-style conservative.

8. Dana says:

People, the only thing that one can say about the current crop of Republican candidates is that they aren’t as bad as the Democrats.

If Pennsylvania isn’t in play in 2008, I might very well vote for the Libertarian or Constitution Party candidate.

9. geezer says:

CavalierX: like anyone else, I’ve had to think long and hard about the Big 3 “social issues” of abortion, gun control and gay marriage. If it was up to me, it’d be no-go on all three. It’s not up to me, any more than it is up to you, Giuliani, Gingrich, Romney, et al. The Big 3 are American law in varying degrees, and not a single GOP candidate for POTUS, if elected, will have the power to do away with them. Such a thing would only come about if Amercian voters, our Congress and Supreme Court all come together and agree to do away with the laws on the books. For me, at least, this levels the playing field for all GOP POTUS candidates to the issue that matters most to me: our ability and will to defend ourselves as a nation in the face of determined enemies.

So far, the only potential GOP POTUS I see with the executive skills/proven track record required to beat our enemies is Giuliani. See this bit for one of the best summations of what the guy has to offer us. Unfortunately, skills and smarts alone are never enough to win the presidency. Romney may have skills, but does he have cross-party popularity? Giuliani does. Gingrich is probably the smartest man on either side interested in the job. You and I know there’s not a single Dem who’d vote for him. There are Dems who’d vote for Giuliani. And so on down the list…

One last thing that draws me to Rudy: loyalty. When it became the popular thing in the GOP last year to stiff-arm Dubya, who ran out to all those fundraisers and candidate rallies, praising and supporting the President when it would have been smarter (regarding ’08) to pull an “Ah-nold?” Rudy is a Republican first, and he proved it.

Having said all this, if someone else emerges, catches fire and appears able to beat Hildebeast, Obama-rama or Mr. Two-Americas, I’ll be a faithful Republican and get behind him or her. Hell, I preferred McCain to Dubya back in early ’00, so I don’t pretend to be any genius, but I know what’s best for our party and our country. From what I’ve seen so far, Rudy’s still the one, and now that you’ve made me write this damn thing, perhaps he’s the only one.

10. karl says:

Newt will not make it. he has too much history for them to trample.

Guiliani is the best hope to keep the whitehouse

11. sanity says:

I don’t see that as much hope to tell you the truth Karl.

Obama and Hillary are out in public eye almost daily. Whether for good or bad, they are getting press, people are reading about them, people recognize them, seem to get to know them a bit.

Where is Guiliani?

Well according to Drudge:

GIULIANI, TOE IN THE WATER, ISN’T READY TO RACE…

Democrtas are getting press, getting their names on everyones tongues and minds….where are the Republicans?

Let’s be realistic, if they don’t start getting it together soon and get someone viable to pick up steam, we’re going to have the likes of Obama or Hillary as President – all because we can’t get someone that can match up against them.

I mean look at that list. Compare each one and THINK, how will they do against Obama (media darling) and Hillary (shark in a dress).

I agree that Newt would not be able to fly, to much past on him, but I would still like to see it though.

I just don’t think Guilliani has the political muscle to pull it off, there has to be more to it.

I don’t get a very good feel for these candidates to be a good match up. Do you?

Folks, Gulianni is not going to make it. If he gets the nomination the Christian Right will stay home. The logic being, why vote for him when his stance is the same as the Dems on social issues. Now I don’t know what you call that, but he does not have cross party popularity, it stops at the social conservative edge, and if you think you are going to get him in as President without those 25 Million votes, I will respectfully disagree. Also, Newt has a past, but Guiliani doesn’t??? LOL :) Sorry again gentlemen, but at least Newt divorced his 1st wife to be intimate with his 2nd wife. Guiliani was having an affair on his 1st wife and that will be your 4th strike in the minds of the Christian Right. If Guiliani gets the Nod, you all will be like Cubs fans, “there is always next year”.

Sanity, it is TOO early for any of the Repubs to start campaigning. Obama is an empty suit, you could tape the Dem party platform, and stick it in a suit turn it on and sound just like Obama. I can’t hardly listen to him. Also he talks like a moderate, but his voting record shows he is an extreme leftist.

Brownbeck just killed himself on Fox News Sunday. Is going to sign the resolution against the surge and wants to tow the Dem party line so that all will be in agreement and we can move forward, and win this war. HAHAHA!!! I am sorry, but can you spell deluded. – Lorica

13. Steve Skubinna says:

To my eye, the two strongest GOP candidates nationally are Giuliani and McCain, both of whom I have major problems with. Both are anti-gun (which may be one reason the media treat them with respect but is going to turn off lots of Republicans and lots of crossover Dems). Giuliani is, aside from being tough on crime, a social liberal, again something that tickles the media but alienates lots of people in both parties that vote for GOP presidents. And McCain has anti-First Amendment baggage with his well intended but disastrous “Campaign Finance Reform,” the adverse consequences of which he still seems incapable of understanding.

So I think the positive buzz those two enjoy is due to the MSM’s fawning over them. Republicans that, if you squint and look at in the right light, look pretty Democrat.

At this point, however, I am a single issue voter. That issue is national security, and there is not one single Dem with Presidential prospects who convinces me he or she is serious there. Any candidate who spends air time yammering on about “the children” or “fairness” or carbon dioxide emissions or the minimum wage is not serious about national security.

Sadly for todays DNC it was Jonh Kennedy who said “Domestic policy can hurt us. Foreign policy can kill us.” If JFK were alive today he’d be thrown out of the party, as being to the right of Lieberman.

14. Marshall Art says:

As one who is becoming more fundamental in my Christian beliefs as I get older, I can tell you that Rudy would get my vote over any Dem in the race. Despite his heinous shortcomings, the chance of him doing more harm than a Democrat seems unlikely. I’d hate to go the “lesser of two evils” route, but if given such a choice, I don’t help the cause of Christianity by allowing the “greater of two evils” win the election. That’s where I stand and I have to think there are more Christians who think that way. I believe that most Christians would believe as I do, which is that God would know we aren’t voting for those flaws in Rudy’s character if forced to choose between him and a Dem.

Heavenly Father, by Your Will and in Christ’s name, grant us better choices soon.