The Goracle: I may not have the spin skills it takes to be elected president

Posted by: ST on June 3, 2007 at 11:06 am

I know, you’re thinking: Wow, after, what – three tries at becoming president he finally realizes that he doesn’t have what it takes to become president. But, of course, that would be too easy. The USA Today reports that The Prophet thinks he can make a change more effectively outside of the presidential office than he could in it:

NASHVILLE — Former vice president Al Gore said Friday that he still hasn’t ruled out a presidential bid in 2008, but he doesn’t expect to run and might not possess the skills necessary to be elected president now.
Gore spoke to The Tennessean today before signing copies of his new book, The Assault on Reason, at Davis-Kidd Booksellers at the Mall in Green Hills, in Nashville.

For months, Gore has said repeatedly that he probably won’t run for office again, but wouldn’t say that he would never run for office again. He reiterated that stance on Friday, but downplayed the possibility of another campaign.

“I don’t want anyone to interpret that answer as throwing a little red meat out for speculation,” Gore said. “I am just being candid. But I don’t expect to get into this race. I have given the reasons why. I strongly prefer to serve in other ways.”

Gore lost the 2000 presidential election to President Bush. Gore, who lost the electoral vote despite winning the popular vote, now views the U.S. political system as flawed.

Flawed because, dangit, he just can’t seem to get elected:

“It may be easier to fix it from the outside,” he said. “Again, I haven’t ruled out for all time thinking about politics again. It’s just that the way it works now, I don’t think that the skills I have are the ones that are most likely to be rewarded within this system. It’s like a washing machine that is permanently set on the spin cycle. It doesn’t stop spinning. That creates real problems for a politics based on reason.”

And Gore, we know, would never ever spin an issue …

This is just more of Gore’s typical arrogance shining through. It’s the system’s fault, not his, that he can’t get elected to the WH. Uh huh.

Via Ann Althouse.

Related: Lawrence Solomon at Canada’s Financial Post questions the popular myth that there is a consensus on ‘man-made’ global warming.

6 Responses to “The Goracle: I may not have the spin skills it takes to be elected president”

Comments

1. Andy Bryant says:

I have to respond to something Al Gore said. When he said, “It may be easier to fix it from the outside” referring to some of his pet issues, I see it as something more than a moment of humility.

We all agree the most influential person in the world is the President of the United States. The presidency is second to non as far as being able to influence foreign and domestic policies. Right?

That said, you’d think someone in Al Gore’s position, having been VP and ran for President thrice, and who wants such power to influence policy, would stride for that ultimate position.

That is unless you believe you’re already influential enough and that you don’t need to be president.

For Gore to proclaim that “It may be easier to fix it from the outside,” of the presidency is the height of self importance. Anybody else who’d said that wouldn’t have raised my interest.

I might be making too much out of that. But if Al Gore’s self-righteous evangelism of a pending apocalypse due to man made global warming is an indicator of his neo-introspection, I’m not.

You’d think a statement like that would be made in an candid moment of humility. I’m afraid the exact opposite is the case.

Al Gore, with the help of the MSM, has been self anointed prophet and purveyor for the secular religion.

And in an unscripted moment of honesty, he told us how he views himself and his self “canonized” secular scripture.

In other words, he thinks the presidency is just a mere formality and has now regressed to being beneath him and his wisdom. He’s got no need for it anymore.

2. Severian says:

Why run for president when you’re already declared to be a demi-god? And apparently believe it. The man’s hubris and ego know no bounds.

3. daveinboca says:

Carter is the all-time maggot on the list of living Democrat schmucks and *ssholes of the self-righteous hypocrite variety.

But Gore and Kerry are neck and neck in the self-defeating, shoot-self-in-foot unwitting mockery of self and colleagues league.

The question burning in my brain is, who will the prescient Algor-hythm choose as his candidate in 2008, bestowing on the lucky recipient the same luck as he gave Howard Dean in ’04 with his pixie dust?

4. Steve Skubinna says:

He’s right, you know – the skills required to be a pompous self important ass are not really the ones that will get you elected. Which is not to say such a person could never be President – q.v. Jimmy Carter. But there’s a reason we unelected President Peanut just as soon as we got over our post-Watergate hangover.

But heck, Gore’s the man who precipitated a Constitutional crises through his tantrum at not being elected. It appears that appreciation of his massive ego was overshadowed by the only ego on the planet more bloated – Bill’s. Now that he’s moved out from behind the perjurer and philanderer-in-Chief we can appreciate him on his own merits.

5. Dana says:

You might not want to rule out Mr Gore just yet. As much as I hated to enrich our former vice president, I bought and am reading his book, The Assault on Reason, and an honest appraisal is that it’s actually pretty good. Yeah, he is throwing out red tofu (couldn’t be meat for our friends on te left!) for the libs, but he’s done it pretty well so far (I haven’t finished it yet).

I think he knows that the only way the democrats will give him another chance is if he strides in as the Savior of the Party once the current candidates all self-destruct — and it’s a stretch to think that they will all do so — but he is pretty well positioned for that.

6. sunsettommy says:

DANA,

This link thinks his book stinks:

Gore’s assault on reason
    Peter Foster, Financial Post
    Published: Friday, June 01, 2007

EXCERPT:

The title of Al Gore’s latest book, The Assault on Reason, says it all. Illogicalities, non sequiturs, false analogies, fallacies, ad hominem (or rather ad Exxoninem) arguments all tumble forth in profusion from its pages.

But one’s Spidey sense feels that something sinister lurks beneath the noble words and the plethora of quotations from Great Men. The book has one obvious target, but isn’t piling on to George Bush a little like flogging a dead duck?

2 pages

I read most of his horrid book years ago.

Earth in the Balance.

I have a counter book to it and they confirmed my suspicions.