McCain: Senate Should Apologize For Slavery

Posted by: Brian on October 19, 2007 at 8:31 am

(I’m filling in for ST the next few days. You can read more of my work at my blog, Liberty Pundit.)

Now you know why his campaign is sinking fast:

Republican presidential candidate John McCain said Wednesday the Senate should apologize for slavery and segregation, calling them “dark chapters in our history.”

McCain said he would support a planned resolution by fellow Republican Sen. Sam Brownback, who is also seeking the presidency, to apologize for racist laws, some of which ended more than a century ago.

“They were federal policies” Brownback told the Boston Globe on Monday. “They were wrong. The only way for us to move forward . . . is at the end of the day acknowledging those, taking ownership for it, and asking for forgiveness.”

McCain agreed with Brownback’s approach.

I would support it, because I think it’s appropriate” he said in response to questions from The Examiner on the campaign trail. “I certainly would support any recognition of the dark chapters in our history.”

Spokesmen for other presidential candidates, including Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, the only top-tier black candidate, declined to comment on the planned Brownback apology. Also silent were Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Republican candidates Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson.

The reason why no other candidates are stooping to this level of pandering (yet) is because there’s nothing to apologize for. Nobody currently in the Senate owned slaves, and civil rights legislation and a host of other things have more than made amends for the injustice of those times. To offer yet another apology is ridiculous. How many times can, or should, you say “I’m sorry” and have it taken seriously?

I’m sick and tired of people apologizing for something they had nothing to do with. Yes, slavery was wrong (about as wrong as anything can be), but there is nobody alive today who is/was a victim of it, and there’s nobody alive today who is/was guilty of doing it, and Republicans, of all people, have nothing to apologize for in that capacity. It was our party that freed the slaves and that fought the war when the Democrats wanted peace at any price (sound familiar?). Let’s get past it already, and move on.

• Liberty Pundit trackbacked with McCain: Senate Should Apologize For Slavery
  • 22 Responses to “McCain: Senate Should Apologize For Slavery”

Comments

1. DavidL says:

Yeah, panderingt, that is the word.

Off the top of my head, the Senate had little power to do anything over slavery. On the anti-slavery side Congress did ban the importation of slaves. On the pr0p-slavery side, Congress did pass the Fugitive Slave Act. Short of a constitutional amendment, Congress could not do much.

2. Banjo says:

So two flops, one announced and the other putting it off a bit, come up with an idea that Al and Jesse can agree on. How about throwing in the 40 acres and a mule while we’re at it?

3. Big Bang Hunter says:

- “I certainly would support any recognition of the dark chapters in our history.”

– Trying gamely to keep yourself relevant can really be a bitch whne all the issues are already taken and your war chest is smaller than Ann Coulters.

– Well at least he did’nt say “darkie chapter in our history”. Thank goodness for small favors. Kind of sad, watching a pol grow old, but in McCains case its time for a front porch rocker and a nice glass of sun tea. We don’t need a Republican version of Jimmah running around doing crossword puzzles in his head.

– BBH – **==

4. TedintheShed says:

Nobody currently in the Senate owned slave…

No, but I’m sure Robert Byrd may have hung a few of them. :o

5. DavidL says:

Is slavery really a dark chapter in our nation’s history? Had the United States not made an accomadation for slavery, there would have been no United States of America. Call it a deal with the Devil.

6. TedintheShed says:

I see it differently. Slavery was a dark chapter in the history of mankind, not just the United States. Most countries were practicing it, even the African tribal communites did as western slave traders would hire tribes to gather up people from other tribes for them.

7. Fred Beloit says:

This idiocy keeps jumping up every few years. OK, Senate, apologize for history that you Senators had absolutely nothing to do with. How stupid it really is to “take ownership” for something you had no part in. This wacky streak McCain has is the reason I could never vote for him.

It always amazes me that these guys are more concerned about slavery that ended over 140 years ago, than slavery that is going on in this country today. I recently heard that the state of Iowa has an estimated 3000 illegal immigrant women who are being used as sex slaves. Yet another reason to secure our borders.

I agree with most of the sentiments of posters above, I am glad these guys are about to be bounced out of the race for the presidency. I just pray that this is the last time McCain runs. – Lorica

9. PCD says:

9, Lorica, where???? Most of the Mexicans I see in this area are over in Galena, IL.

10. steveegg says:

steveegg – Senate should apologize for itself

11. PCD says:

11, McCain ought to apologize for being RINO and a tool for the Democrats.

12. Dana says:

I hereby apologize for all of those Americans who voted for John Kerry in 2004, and the Pennsylvanians who wrongly voted for Democrats in 2006. Yes, I know, I didn’t do either of those terrible things, but since people seem to think that one person can apologize for the actions of others, I figured I’d jump on the bandwagon.

Come on PCD. THere are all sorts of Mexicans in the Muscatine area, and how about the Russians in the Waukon area. That is just eastern Iowa. You look at the fruit producing areas and you will find illegals. I am not pointing fingers at Iowa PCD. I am only relating what I had heard from an Iowa state congressman. They were trying to get a law thru the state house to give immunity and citizenship to any sex slave that turned states evidence. When you look at the bigger cities and you will find a problem with prostitution, and many of those girls were brought here only to be sex slaves. Big cities like Chicago and New York have had this problem for years, but you would not expect to find this kind of stuff in Iowa. – Lorica

14. PCD says:

14, Lorica, I was kind of kidding. Aren’t the Russians legal?

Ohhhh sorry PCD. Not all of them, they have found some that gained entry illegally. – Lorica

16. benning says:

United States (Federal) forces suffered the following in the Civil War:

Battle deaths: 110,070
      Deaths from Disease, etc.: 250,152
      Death Total 360,222

Seems to me our government and people apologized plenty for the evils of slavery. If that’s not enough, tough. McCain is off his nut. Again! Next hell be cozying up to the Reparations Extortionists.

My advice to McCain: Piss Off!

17. Severian says:

Perhaps it’s time we get serious about reparations, and assess an additional tax burden on every one of African-American descent to pay for the massive war debt that the evil Republican President Lincoln ran up?

18. Steve Skubinna says:

This is just a page from the Clinton book – apologize deeply and sincerely for something that happened long ago and you had nothing to do with it (annexing Hawaii, the Crusades). That way you gain tremedous sincerity points (except among cynics such as myself who perversely insist on seeing it as a cynical ploy) by assuming responsibility for absolutely nothing.

Best of all, you’ll never run out of heartfelt apologies.

19. Jim C. says:

“taking ownership” is an interesting choice of words in this context. :)

“taking ownership” is an interesting choice of words in this context

Damn I about fell outta my chair. =)) Very good observation Jim. – Lorica