Obama’s speech on race (TUE OPEN THREAD)

Posted by: ST on March 18, 2008 at 8:29 am

Unfortunately, I am going to be tied up today so I won’t be around to blog about Obama’s big speech on race until later this afternoon/evening. Use this thread as an open thread to comment on it, and whatever else you want to talk about.

The speech, which will be given at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia, starts at 10:15 AM ET. I’m sure Hot Air and Michelle Malkin will have full coverage/video clips.

PM Update – 7:32 PM: My thoughts on the speech are posted here.

16 Responses to “Obama’s speech on race (TUE OPEN THREAD)”

Comments

1. Sparky says:

Some of the message to “White America” is that we still don’t understand that the United States allowed slavery, opressing blacks, and creating a scociety where racism against blacks was the norm. I’m sorry, but as a white, I know this already. I’ve learned about his awful part of our history from school, parents, radio, tv, church, you name it. I have aknowledged this fact over and over. I didn’t have anything to do with it. I’m not going to personnaly apologize for for this disgusting chapter in the U.S. history, because I didn’t do anything wrong. Obama and Wright’s seems to be that because you are white, you bear some of the responsibility for someting that happened 200 years ago. Sorry, I don’t see it that way.

2. I love Shakespeare at times like this….

…it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

3. I had trouble with Wright when I first saw the clips. But my views have been changing. I just found a longer sermon which puts the Hillary remarks in context. I posted it on my blog.

4. NC Cop says:

September 2001: “The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color. The government lied.”

– September 2001: “We bombed Hiroshima. We bombed Nagasaki. And we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon and we never batted an eye.”

– September 2001: “We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because of stuff we have done overseas is now brought back into our own backyard. America is chickens coming home to roost.”

– April 2003: “The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes three-strike laws and wants them to sing God Bless America. No! No No! God damn America … for killing innocent people. God damn America for threatening citizens as less than humans. God damn America as long as she tries to act like she is God and supreme.”

You can say what you want, Sweating, but this guy hates this country and if this has been Obama’s “moral compass” throughout his life, then I have a BIG problem with Wright and Obama.

Of course, this may help explain Michelle Obamas apparent disdain for this country.

5. alchemist says:

I thought it was a good speech, but I’m not sure that many will read it, or if they do will assume it’s just a political move. We’ll see I guess.

6. Dunk says:

I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely – just as I’m sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.>>

Emphasis is mine… I have disagreed with my rabbi even though I haven’t been to a synagogue in a long time. But how many of your rabbis or pastors have used crude, racist or hateful language to describe someone because they aren’t the right race? Mine certainly never did.

Obama’s atempt at noral relativism isn’t going to wash. Americans, yes even Dems will reject him.

He clearly didn’t care about the disparaging remarks about white people by Wright that he attempts to whitewash in his speech. He made no reference to his church honoring the likes of the Jew and honky hater Louis Farakhan.

Of course when it got hot in the kitchen he only manages to fan the flames with his insultingly simplistic, belated, uncaring attempt at justification.

7. benning says:

I’m sure the MSM, the Left, and the usual collection of idiots will praise this speech to the heavens. But it’s nothing. Obama is a waste of time to the electorate, and they ought to realize that by now.

As Leaning Straight Up said:

I love Shakespeare at times like this….

…it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

:)>-

8. NC Cop says:

Here’s a blast from the past. This is what our esteemed Mr. Obama had to say about the Imus situation:

“I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus,” Obama told ABC News, “but I would also say that there’s nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude.”

Of course they wouldn’t be working for you, at least not anymore.

9. Tom TB says:

“Unfit For Duty”. Obama has swift-boated himself by his loyalty to a racist, anti-American divider.

10. Hey, ya’ll – just started another thread and added my commentary here.

11. mike says:

Well first off id like to make a comment ,thatI haven’t seen. He makes claims that JESUS knew what it ws like to be treated by wicked white folk,cause he said jesus was a black man amongst whites.Well lets first emphasize CHRIST was a jew!!! so if your gonna be an anti semite after claiming JESUS was a black man then you really got screwed up theology and not the CHRIST of scriptures,I believe you can see the foolishness of this line of biblical interpretation.obviously if this is the JESUS he knows its not the MASTER that died on the cross and rose!!! so hes got an angry bitter hateful unchanged heart.

12. Severian says:

Maybe he’s getting Jesus mixed up with Sammy Davis Jr.?;)

Didn’t Sammy convert to Judism later in life?? – Lorica