If this story is true …

Posted by: ST on April 17, 2008 at 2:37 pm

… then it’s probably one of the most, if not THE most, disgusting “art displays” I’ve ever heard of:

Art major Aliza Shvarts ’08 wants to make a statement.

Beginning next Tuesday, Shvarts will be displaying her senior art project, a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself “as often as possible” while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages. Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process.

The goal in creating the art exhibition, Shvarts said, was to spark conversation and debate on the relationship between art and the human body. But her project has already provoked more than just debate, inciting, for instance, outcry at a forum for fellow senior art majors held last week. And when told about Shvarts’ project, students on both ends of the abortion debate have expressed shock — saying the project does everything from violate moral code to trivialize abortion.

But Shvarts insists her concept was not designed for “shock value.”

“I hope it inspires some sort of discourse” Shvarts said. “Sure, some people will be upset with the message and will not agree with it, but it’s not the intention of the piece to scandalize anyone.”

The “fabricators” or donors, of the sperm were not paid for their services, but Shvarts required them to periodically take tests for sexually transmitted diseases. She said she was not concerned about any medical effects the forced miscarriages may have had on her body. The abortifacient drugs she took were legal and herbal, she said, and she did not feel the need to consult a doctor about her repeated miscarriages.

Shvarts declined to specify the number of sperm donors she used, as well as the number of times she inseminated herself.

Yuval Levin is skeptical:

Color me dubious about the Yale art project story. In talking to a few knowledgeable docs this morning, the facts don’t add up very well. Self-insemination of the sort she seems to be claiming is no easy feat, and “herbal” abortifacients are extremely dangerous and not at all reliably effective. It’s highly unlikely that these two improbable elements would both be carried off successfully multiple times, and with no side effects. It’s more likely that her senior art project is to see how many people she can upset with a hoax.

I hope he’s right. I mean, I know far left feministas have advocated and in all too many cases done some very very disturbing, disgusting things, but this would take it to an all new low level of depravity. I really don’t want to believe that any woman out there would be so incredibly stupid.

Fri AM Update: My intrepid commenters are on the case, and have linked up to a NY Sun story where Yale officials stated yesterday that the story was a hoax. All the same, it’s disturbing that anyone would make up such a claim. I hope Aliza Shvarts isn’t a symbol of things to come from other young women in this country. If so, the jobs of anti-feminists like myself have just gotten a lot tougher.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Trackbacks

• Public Secrets: from the files of the Irishspy trackbacked with Grotesque and obscene...
  • 10 Responses to “If this story is true …”

Comments

1. Fat Tone says:

Maybe the art project itself, is the rumor of the non existent art project.

2. sanity says:

Yale Student’s ‘Abortion Art’ Claim a Scam

Seems very grave and serious, doesn’t it? This girl put her body through the repeated physical abuse of impregnation and miscarriage for her “art.” If this were true, it would have been quite a physical ordeal. In fact, if it had really happened, I’d imagine that she might possibly have put her health, or at least her future ability to become pregnant, at risk. But, in truth she was likely never pregnant, she never had any “miscarriages” and there was nothing but common menstrual fluids resulting.

What was her “process”? How did she create these so-called miscarriages? She asked boys she knew to donate sperm (she claims she also asked them to have tests for sexually transmitted diseases), she supposedly implanted that sperm into herself, and then she took these claimed herbal concoctions misleadingly called “abortifacient drugs” to end the pregnancy with forced miscarriage.

The main question is, was she ever pregnant? I have to say most likely no. The “turkey baster” method of implanting semen for impregnation is very ineffective, though known to be successful. Sperm does not live for too long once it hits the open air, so implantation would had to have occurred quickly after the issuing of the fluids. So, to assume that this girl had actually impregnated herself is not a good bet. There is no indication that there was any sort of “controls” placed on her efforts at implantation and, since there was never once any medical care, there is no proof that she ever was pregnant at all.

Secondly, the so-called “drugs” she used to induce the “miscarriages” are not real drugs. To even call them drugs is misleading. The so-called drugs, the abortifacient drugs, are herbal concoctions that have no medicinal value. The makers of these drugs make unsubstantiated claims that their mixtures cause miscarriage but there are no scientific studies of these claims and the FDA does not regulate these fake drugs under law — meaning the claims are not accepted as scientific fact. So, Shvarts’ claim that she took “drugs” to induce miscarriage is built on the false claims of fake these “drugs.”

Then we have the blood. Nine months gives us at the very least 27 days of menstruation. There is little indication that the blood used in this “art” project is anything other than normal flow.

So, what do we really have here? No proof of any real impregnation, no proof that the “drugs” taken could really induce miscarriage, and no medical tests to buttress any claims. In other words, we have a hoax. If not a hoax, we have a girl who has no idea what she is talking about and too many willing accomplices in the school and the media to just accept her claims as truth without any logic or science to put such claims to the test.

Newsbusters rips apart this girls ‘art project’ tearing it down to the fundementals.

Is it real, or is it fake?

And if you tell someone it is real, and it looks real, does it make it real?

The more I read on this, the more I think this is a fraud.

3. Beverly says:

The real issue isn’t if she really was pregnant or just collecting normal period products, it is that anyone could think that something like this is remotely proper, a good idea or “Art”. To even imply that getting pregnant and “getting rid” of it is to be taken so lightly is frightening at all levels. This goes beyond “choice”, this is the product of a very disturbed mind. And as one of the millions of women who truly had a miscarrage, it is an insult to me and my husband and everything that we went through during that difficult time. This young woman needs some serious help and so does anyone else who knew about this and encouraged it.

4. Foxx says:

I do art. Some people say I’m good at it. Some of its for fun some it carries a message. Whats this ladies message? ‘Help, i’m mentally disturbed’ or ‘this is the best i can come up with after all the partying i did in school’.

Maybe she’ll have a career in the future as a shock jock, because she anin’t no artist.

5. forest hunter says:

Such a lofty goal……….right up there with the idiot *arteest* that leashed a starving dog to a line just out of reach of food. Which begs the question, what is this wonder child starving from, other than the obvious?

6. forest hunter says:

The more I think about it……the artificial insemination was done years ago to her shallow mind.

7. Lorica says:

Whether fake or real, this woman does need serious counselling. How soon before she will believe that certain “elements” of our society can be turned into art projects?? This deception is very scarey, and Yale needs to deal with this woman.

Here is what I posted on SCOTUS thread about this article:

How much you want to bet this woman is anti-capital punishment???

For senior, abortion a medium for art, political discourse
      Martine Powers
      Staff Reporter
      Published Thursday, April 17, 2008
      Art major Aliza Shvarts ‘08 wants to make a statement.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24513

What a horribly deceived individual. How could a woman ever look into the face of any child she might bear later in life, and no weep for these little babies. Yet some persons think this is minimal compared to taking the life of a person who has murdered. Such deception. – Lorica

Comment by Lorica @ 4/17/2008 – 10:33 am

Scripture is very clear when it states that in the end the world will be filled with violence and a great deception. I have to think this qualifies as both if real, and if fake it qualifies as the latter. – Lorica

8. sanity says:

It is a Hoax – A Lie – or in her words “creative fiction”.

Is creative fiction the same thing as lying your butt off?

A Yale student’s bizarre art project in which she claimed to have repeatedly impregnated and induced abortions in herself is a work of “creative fiction,” the university said in a statement this afternoon.

“Ms. Shvarts is engaged in performance art,” a Yale spokeswoman, Helaine Klasky, said. “She stated to three senior Yale University officials today, including two deans, that she did not impregnate herself and that she did not induce any miscarriages. The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman’s body.”

Ms. Klasky went on to suggest that Yale would not have permitted a project of the sort described in the student newspaper. “Had these acts been real, they would have violated basic ethical standards and raised serious mental and physical health concerns.”

Link

Is this a case of look at me!
      Look at me!!!

or a back down after the backlash that occurred?

I think it was more a case of attention getting myself.

9. jim b says:

All art is intrensically a lie.