Rev. Wright’s 2008 “Look at Me” tour

Posted by: ST on April 28, 2008 at 10:44 am

I’ve read at some blogs that Obama’s “former” pastor Jeremiah Wright is on a “rehab” tour to restore his image, but I wouldn’t call it that because as far as many of the groups he’s talking to are concerned, there’s no rehab or restoration needed. They love him. And he’s eating it up.

Memeorandum has links galore to the “fiery” speech Obama Wright made over the weekend to the NAACP, and Michelle Malkin is liveblogging Wright’s speech this morning to the National Press Club. Per Malkin, the NPC gave Wright a standing ovation. Why am I not surprised.

Wright is not just a racist – one who said things in his speech this past weekend that would have a white pastor begging for forgiveness later on a national stage had he made similar remarks about white brains versus black brains – but also one very selfish individual. He knows the guy who looked up to him for 20 years and who still views him as a spiritual mentor doesn’t want the aggravation of continuing to have to defend his “former” pastor, yet Wright continues to bask in the limelight, knowing that Obama will have to continue to answer for the “distraction” that we all now know as Rev. Wright.

This is one of those times where I’m glad I can’t watch a speech live and blog about it while watching – because I’d write unladylike things I’d very likely later regret.

• The Amboy Times trackbacked with Rev Wright at the National Press Club...
  • 9 Responses to “Rev. Wright’s 2008 “Look at Me” tour”

Comments

1. yonason says:

“I’d write unladylike things I’d very likely later regret.” — s.t.

Yes, but why deprive us?

2. T-Steel says:

Rev. Wright is what he is. An educated yet bombastic minister that’s in the spotlight because a member of his congregation is running for Prez. And in true “minister” way, he’s going to preach (no matter the fallout or perceived fallout) when the cameras are on. He’s enjoying ALL OF THIS. I watched him at the NPC and he was cracking jokes, smiling, and laughing. The most interesting thing he said (I’m well-versed in Black Liberation Theology having grew up with former Black Panthers) is that he would jump all over Senator Obama if he became POTUS because Obama would be leading the government he has problems with.

To me, Rev. Wright doesn’t give a rat’s arse about Senator Obama presidential run. He cares about himself and his legacy. Doesn’t matter who’s in the way as long as he can “do his thing”. Rev. Wright is throwing Senator Obama “under the bus”.

We can sit here and break Rev. Wright’s words and character down to the atomic level. And I’m not dumb enough to believe some people aren’t going to react negatively to Rev. Wright. But how much of Rev. Wright should be stuck on Senator Obama? The more I hear Rev. Wright, the more I see how different they (Wright / Obama) are. First, Rev. Wright is more charismatic (“a toxic charisma” according my wife). Obama saying what Rev. Wright says wouldn’t even look right (Obama’s too measured). I’m just leery of attacking any candidate over what is said in their church by the pastor.

Now Ayers and Rezco, that’s a different story althogther IMHO. Obama definitely has big issues there.

3. sanity says:

This is a good quote from Wright:

“He didn’t distance himself. He had to distance himself, because he’s a politician, from what the media was saying I had said, which was [portrayed as] anti-American. … He did, as I said, what politicians do.”

Link

The money quote if you will.

The pastor also insisted Obama “didn’t denounce” him and “didn’t distance himself” from Wright’s controversial remarks, but “did what politicians do.”

Wright implied Obama still agrees with him by saying: “He had to distance himself, because he’s a politician, from what the media was saying I had said, which was [portrayed as] anti-American.”

The irony is just delicious.

4. T-Steel says:

That last quote can also be interpreted as Rev. Wright believes politics and the pulpit are two different worlds. But I get the irony.

I have a family full of Obama supporters. And they are all saying the same thing:

“Rev. Wright is alot of ‘us’. But ‘us’ won’t win a presidential election.”

What is implied is that the viewpoints of Rev. Wright are part of the “black psyche”. I acknowledge that as a black man. But that viewpoint won’t win an election regardless of if you don’t treat it as manna from heaven. The point is that the views are OUT THERE and Obama’s face is painted on it (fairly or unfairly). A big leap of faith is needed for many Americans to vote for Obama in a presidential election.

5. Rose says:

I have longtime friends that have said worse things than Rev.Wright. Does that mean that I should tell them to get lost because I don’t agree with them? Does this mean I am accountable for what they say? I firmly disagree and tell them so. Some are racists but are basically good people. I tell them about my experience living in the Carolina’s in the 50’s when they had to sit at the back of the bus while the whites sat in the front. I tell them about my black friend and the fact that we could not eat in the same restaurant , swim at the same beach or even go to the movies with her. I lived in the best part of town with the other whites, while she lived in the worst part of town. We had separate beaches, water fountains, restrooms and restaurants. The blacks were allowed to cook the food, clean the restaurant but not allowed to eat there. I understand Rev.Wright’s frustration and if you listen to the whole speech that the media only showed snippets of, he was g–d—ing the government not the American people. People like Joe Scarbourough, Hannity, O’reily, Tucker Carlson and Rush Limbaugh are keeping this going because they want Hillary against McBush because they know Obama can beat him. I think it’s time to make McCain accountable for his relationship’s with John Hagee and Jerry Falwell who have both said just a damaging remarks as Wright. After McCain said he didn’t agree with Hagee, he then said “I need his support”. Bill and Hillary invited Rev.Wright to the white house during the Monica scandal so what right does she have to condemn Obama. Give me a break.

6. Mwalimu Daudi says:

Hmmmm…does this mean that the MSM and their Democrat pets owe the late Jerry Falwell and the GOP a king-sized apology? Even today they still shriek “Fundamentalist Theocracy” every time a conservative Christian clears his or her throat.

Don’t disappoint me, Rose, and say that what Falwell did was worse – because that would be a lie.

7. Rose, when you run for president and as part of your platform promise to help heal racial divisions, and then it’s revealed that you sat silently for 20 years in your church pew while your “mentor” spouted off racial hatred about this country, then get back to me.

T-Steel: The crux of the matter is what I just mentioned to Rose. If Obama sees himself as some big racial healer, he should have started in his own church. That he didn’t speaks volumes.

8. T-Steel says:

ST, I have a grandmother that has sat in a church in Louisiana for 40 years while “Pastor Crazy Guy” said some of the most outlandish things (man was a conspiracy theorist unparalleled). Whenever I asked her how she could just sit there when she didn’t like him or his theories, her answer was:

“He saved your grandfather’s life when the KKK was came after us back in ’51.”

If Obama feels like he owes Rev. Wright because he “saved” or “rescued” him, then 20 years of sitting there is his payment. BUT things look the way they look. And I’m no fool. I see how this looks and Senator Obama hasn’t DONE ENOUGH to help himself.